Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

my time with the standard was fun. but when my swing went sideways, it was pretty clear that the extent of the misses was much worse and shorter distance with standard than max. I'd like to think if i'm swinging better the standard would be a serious weapon, but until then I need to stick with the max.

Yes I agree. I had Max prior switching to standard. It has it’s moment where it feels and sounds better than Max but considering I don’t play often these days I miss those extra forgiveness of Max.
It’s not fun when you hit a worm burner all the time and wishing and wondering if Max would have given me better results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had some things to iron out before my tournament this weekend. Last night got rained out, so today is my last chance to instill a little confidence heading into tomorrow. I can't play this evening, so I went to the range at lunch.

I was grooving pretty well with the Mavrik during the session. The last time I had a dedicated practice session at the range has probably been a month ago now. So, being able to hit driver after driver with a fresh body felt pretty good. Love the feel of this head so much. Such a powerful sound.

Now, we'll see what the Mavrik can do for me with a little pressure tomorrow and Sunday. Looking forward to dropping bombs and breaking my opponents hearts :cool:

I agree the standard is impressively forgiving. but I would say it is forgiving for the right launch conditions. if you have a bit of launch and a bit of spin, the standard is a freak. for me who struggles with launch and spin, my misses with the standard are much more penalizing than my misses with the max. that said, my longest with the standard so far has been much longer than my longest with the max.
I think this is well said. The guy I gave a standard 9 to yesterday continued to kill with it today, even on mishits, but he gets it up. My buddy back home hated the thing because he's not a natural launcher and couldn't get the spin. About the only time I've seen the standard not really suit.

Also, I got out of the Sub Zero's way today, and it went back to doing its thing. Which is to thoroughly impress. (y)

Last edited:
for anyone here who switched from the Rogue, what do you like or see the most improvement in the Mavrik?

I'll scroll back through the prior 120 pages to see if I can find anything but the Rogue has been the best driver I've owned. I've left it and came back to it 2 times now. The Cobra F9 and Ping G400 Max just haven't cut it for me. As of now, I'm perfectly content to stay with the Rogue but I haven't hit the Mavrik so I'm curious on feedback from those that have switched to hear why I should consider it. Is the flash face really the difference maker for it?

for anyone here who switched from the Rogue, what do you like or see the most improvement in the Mavrik?
Prior to the MavrikMax the Rogue was indeed the best driver I owned. I wasn’t going to upgrade unless I saw a significant upgrade which I did. Fortunately at my driver fitting I wasn’t hitting the Rogue that well. SS topping at 94 and just some very weak drives and overcooked fades.

I think the main thing was going to a Regular flex shaft but also knowing with the Max how much forgiveness I have with mishits. I don’t recall many slices with this driver, not saying I hit it great every time, but knowing that it’s going to be a right to left ball flight and the miss right is minimized not to mention the added yardage, it was a no brainer for me.

I don’t recall many slices with this driver, not saying I hit it great every time, but knowing that it’s going to be a right to left ball flight and the miss right is minimized not to mention the added yardage, it was a no brainer for me.
That's one of the biggest and most consistent things I've noticed about the Mav Max. It amazes me when I see people talking about hitting fades/slices with it - I mean, I occasionally bend one right when I put a really bad swing on it, but on any shot that's even halfway decently struck, the right side of the course may as well not even exist. The vast majority of my misses to the right are either a push (because of a bad swing) or because I aimed right anticipating a draw and it went straight instead. The default ball flight for me on a well struck shot will always be straight or right to left.

That's one of the biggest and most consistent things I've noticed about the Mav Max. It amazes me when I see people talking about hitting fades/slices with it - I mean, I occasionally bend one right when I put a really bad swing on it, but on any shot that's even halfway decently struck, the right side of the course may as well not even exist. The vast majority of my misses to the right are either a push (because of a bad swing) or because I aimed right anticipating a draw and it went straight instead. The default ball flight for me on a well struck shot will always be straight or right to left.
I agree with this. Only way I’m hitting it right is if I hold onto releasing the club because of the danger left(water/OB) and I block it to the right but still able to hit a 2nd shot. Obvious loss of distance and maybe I’m right of the cart path but it beats taking a drop.

I always setup on the right side of the tee box and my trail leg is well behind my front foot to turn more and setup for the draw. Sometimes it’s a hook left but I’ll take that over the slice all day. The few times I do hit a fade it’s by accident, if the hole a dog leg right then I’ll open the face slightly and still swing the way I do. Whatever happens, happens.

Prior to the MavrikMax the Rogue was indeed the best driver I owned. I wasn’t going to upgrade unless I saw a significant upgrade which I did. Fortunately at my driver fitting I wasn’t hitting the Rogue that well. SS topping at 94 and just some very weak drives and overcooked fades.

I think the main thing was going to a Regular flex shaft but also knowing with the Max how much forgiveness I have with mishits. I don’t recall many slices with this driver, not saying I hit it great every time, but knowing that it’s going to be a right to left ball flight and the miss right is minimized not to mention the added yardage, it was a no brainer for me.
Yeah the Rogue has been the straightest driver I've played. My big miss for the last year or so is when I start hooking the ball so the Max scares me a little bit. The G400 Max I hook quite a bit. Perhaps it just needs a different shaft in it because the R flex in that seems to flex more than the R flex in Aldila Synergy in my Rogue. I would certainly like to try the Max and the standard Mavrik against my Rogue and see how they shake out.

The 9° Max handled the wind well today. I had a couple shots that I caught on the heel that surprised me with the distance it still went. The biggest thing for me is to not try to swing hard, keep my tempo smooth and the combo of the Ventus 5R and the Max head is just amazing

I shot my best round in years today and it's all thanks to the mav max, just simply saves my tee game!

I'll scroll back through the prior 120 pages to see if I can find anything but the Rogue has been the best driver I've owned. I've left it and came back to it 2 times now. The Cobra F9 and Ping G400 Max just haven't cut it for me. As of now, I'm perfectly content to stay with the Rogue but I haven't hit the Mavrik so I'm curious on feedback from those that have switched to hear why I should consider it. Is the flash face really the difference maker for it?
I came from the Rogue, I think the main difference is that the Mavrik is more forgiving especially on the heel side miss, it has also been longer for me than the Rogue.

Got out with the Mav SZ today for 18 and I drove the ball fantastic.

The distance and ball speeds all accross the face for the Mav line is amazing which equates to unmatched forgiveness.

The SZ is workable in both direction and can easily be flighted high on downwind holes or hit low bullets into the wind.

I am having so much fun playing golf this season and a lot of it is due to the Mav driver.

Last edited:
I came from the Rogue, I think the main difference is that the Mavrik is more forgiving especially on the heel side miss, it has also been longer for me than the Rogue.

I agree 100%. The forgiveness in this line of drivers is the real story. A huge part of that forgiveness is how hot this driver is all across the face.

The Mavrik SZ is just flat out fun, my average distance over the last two rounds has been 277 yards.

Some examples from today:
98C2E212-FA37-45ED-B299-CE9151EEF00F.jpeg
E9F8827F-551E-41A0-8DE7-7A8CF0140EF0.jpeg

And Yesterday:
DE8AE89E-00BC-4B3F-B52C-EC406665CC72.jpeg
This was into the wind, and more impressive than what the screen shows.

I love this club...

Still loving the Mav. Driving distance over the last 3 rounds is 270-75. The worst drive I hit today was a low heel miss and I still got 235 or so out of it. I hit 5 fairways but was within 1 step of the fairway with 4 others. Sweet music with this club.

Over the last week or so I have read a lot of these posts, in addition to watching YouTube videos and reading elsewhere on reviews. I was about ready to order the standard version with 44.5 Rogue White reg flex maybe tipped 3/4” of an intro firm it up a little and maybe D3 sw. I already hit the ball what seems very high. But it seems like at least 8 out of 10 posts about the max or sz. How many play the standard version and how much forgiveness do you lose with sz? I don’t seem to slice as much, thank the Good Lord, as I used to, but I also never even try to go 90% but would like to on occasion. I like the squarer face of the sz and more adjustability too. But I can push the ball and hook the ball and sometimes thankfully knock it down the middle. So what do you think, not getting fitted for a variety of reasons, so stick with standard? Thanks

Over the last week or so I have read a lot of these posts, in addition to watching YouTube videos and reading elsewhere on reviews. I was about ready to order the standard version with 44.5 Rogue White reg flex maybe tipped 3/4” of an intro firm it up a little and maybe D3 sw. I already hit the ball what seems very high. But it seems like at least 8 out of 10 posts about the max or sz. How many play the standard version and how much forgiveness do you lose with sz? I don’t seem to slice as much, thank the Good Lord, as I used to, but I also never even try to go 90% but would like to on occasion. I like the squarer face of the sz and more adjustability too. But I can push the ball and hook the ball and sometimes thankfully knock it down the middle. So what do you think, not getting fitted for a variety of reasons, so stick with standard? Thanks

I haven't hit the regular head or the Max, just the SZ and to answer your question about how much forgiveness do I lose I would say none as the SZ is very forgiving. I also lose alot less golf balls! :)

Didn't come straight from the Rogue, but agree with @JDax here. The distance on mishits is pretty phenomenal.

The Mavrik SZ is just flat out fun, my average distance over the last two rounds has been 277 yards.

Some examples from today:
View attachment 8951017
View attachment 8951018

And Yesterday:
View attachment 8951019
This was into the wind, and more impressive than what the screen shows.

I love this club...
Agreed, Mavrik SZ mafia here, and the driver is fun to hit. I still can't get over how straight it wants to go. There has been a lot more "tour sauce" on display from my tee game this year. I was very pleased with my old Epic SZ, but this driver is noticeable better in my early experience.

Really missed badly on the heel on a drive today, so much that it flared up my wrist tendonitis. Get the ball and it still went 265, right side of fairway. This driver is great.

Another day of solid drives from the Mav. Confidence is through the roof with this club. Continue to be pretty amazed by the distance.

Another day of solid drives from the Mav. Confidence is through the roof with this club. Continue to be pretty amazed by the distance.

What is your full setup right now with this club?

What is your full setup right now with this club?

Playing a 9 Degree Standard (custom), just set at neutral. Have been switching back and forth between the Riptide and a Blue Ventus for now. Both shafts work really well in it but play a little differently.

Playing a 9 Degree Standard (custom), just set at neutral. Have been switching back and forth between the Riptide and a Blue Ventus for now. Both shafts work really well in it but play a little differently.
Did you think of notice that the stock Riptide shaft launches a bit higher? I have the same Ventus shaft and seems to have a bit lower ball flight in the 9* head. (Max) Could be from the lower spin ventus shaft but unsure.

Back