Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

@radiman heavy weight forward seemed to give you the best data set. yes, a couple wild misses, but you seemed to be more offline with the other two setups.

also, I hate you

So, this winter has sucked. I got to go on this sweet trip, get some sweet gear, and sit at home staring at it doing nothing with it basically. I decided that I had to get my fix in. I made an appointment, took the day off, then made the hour long drive to get to the only trackman in any sort of reasonable driving distance to me. I had gotten some numbers for my review there about a month ago.

This time, I was bringing the Ventus Red I was fit for as well as the two LAGP shafts I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to test. My goal was to figure out what shaft was the stand out between them and then do some head to head testing between my standard Mavrik and the Mavrik SZ.

I started with the SZ because that was a club I hadn't had the opportunity to try and I was really eager to see what it was all about. Now, I have been trying to work on my swing after noticing that my release was a little later than it should be. Speed was up pretty significantly from the last time I was there topping out at 118 swing speed and 175 ball speed. I hit 178 ball speed a few times. But, whenever I got to 177 or higher, the unit wouldn't read the swing speed and was giving a double spin reading. The owner said that it struggles once ball speed gets that high. He offered to throw a metallic dot or something on the ball so it would read better. But, it wasn't happening all the time or enough to make me too concerned.

I started with the Ventus Red 7X tipped an inch and was seeing some good performance. It felt like there was a little more movement in the shaft than I wanted. So, I switched over to the LAGP TPOC 65X also tipped an inch. Feel was much tighter and the results seemed to show it. I wasn't tagging shots at that point, just going off of what I was seeing. Contact was improved and dispersion was better.

So, I started tagging the two clubs. First up was the Mavrik SZ. I love the feel of this club. It is similar to the standard so there's no surprise there. But, I like the visual package a bit better in the SZ. It looks a lot more similar to what I am used to playing coming from the EF SZ last year. Numbers were pretty good. Was seeing some pretty decent spin numbers. And some great efficiency. I had some wild shots as I worked to improve the timing of my release.

Here are the initial numbers of the SZ. I don't know how to work the Trackman menus so it took me forever to find this screen and I had no idea how include some of the other data. For some reason, this list didn't have the launch angle that was showing before.

View attachment 8926557

Then, it was time to switch over to the Mavrik Standard. I was really surprised to see some of the spin numbers I was getting with the Standard. Some really well struck shots were giving me some pretty high spin numbers, for me anyhow. I am typically a low spin guy. So, seeing some of these creep well into the high 2000's was surprising. After some internal reflection and some analysis of the data, I suspect that my ball position is too far forward. By a great deal. I was seeing my AoA get as high as 8 degrees. I am probably delivering so much spin loft into the ball. Also surprising was that I didn't seem to be swinging the standard any faster than the SZ. While the Standard doesn't win based on distance or visuals, I will try to do another comparison after I figure out my ball placement.

View attachment 8926558

I decided to try the SZ with the heavy weight forward to see what kind of difference there was in ball speed and efficiency as well as spin. I honestly didn't feel like the heavy weight forward was nearly as punishing as some make it sound. While, it's probably not as forgiving, it's not as punishing as some would lead you to believe. It knocked the spin down a bit. But, it also felt more powerful at impact. Some shots were getting wild. But, it was after hitting almost 100 shots in about 50 minutes. I was beat. Plus, the big misses were path related. The efficiency was still there.

View attachment 8926559

There are some things for me to take away from being able to collect data like this. First, I need to work on some of the fundamentals that always seem to escape me during our long winter layoff. Second, both of these heads are solid options. I suspect that when I get my AoA figured out, the spin numbers on the Standard will come down to a more "optimal" range for me. Also, my launch angle will come down as well resulting in some increased carry.

Great stuff! Liked your comments about the unexpectedly high spin and your ball placement. I've been trying to play my driver just a little further back in my stance recently. I feel like I'm straighter from there. I tend to hit a fraction lower on the face for some reason though and have a tad more spin. Having the heavy weight forward allowed me to still get the spin numbers and carry I was looking for from that placement, and I didn't feel like it was less forgiving.

I am 98% certain the Mavrik SZ is easier for me to hit with the heavy weight forward, that is completely oppossite of the Prior SZ models that had 2 weights. Putting the Heavy weight forward in those made it unplayable for me.

Of course I need a strong Drive and Wedge to get to Radiman's short Drives are but that is what it is..

I am 98% certain the Mavrik SZ is easier for me to hit with the heavy weight forward, that is completely oppossite of the Prior SZ models that had 2 weights. Putting the Heavy weight forward in those made it unplayable for me.

Of course I need a strong Drive and Wedge to get to Radiman's short Drives are but that is what it is..
You and me both brother! Haha

He’s an ANIMAL!

I will say this. We are planning on having all three heads at #RangeDays and I believe @Canadan is going to make me swing them. I want to level the field between the three, and see what happens.:unsure:

I will say this. We are planning on having all three heads at #RangeDays and I believe @Canadan is going to make me swing them. I want to level the field between the three, and see what happens.:unsure:
Really looking forward to this!!!! Should be very interesting.

Looking forward to getting head to head comparisons between these, and all of the other OEM offerings for that matter. Also, all of this Max praise has me really wanting to get in and check that puppy out.

Looking forward to getting head to head comparisons between these, and all of the other OEM offerings for that matter. Also, all of this Max praise has me really wanting to get in and check that puppy out.
I was pretty shocked by the spin numbers the other day in the max.

I was pretty shocked by the spin numbers the other day in the max.
Have you had any chance to go head to head with your G410? Any chance that it gets dethroned at the top of the bag?

Have you had any chance to go head to head with your G410? Any chance that it gets dethroned at the top of the bag?
I’ve got the LST so it’s not apples to apples, and the whole shaft built just for me in that head thing haha.

But, right now it’s close, the Max reminds me of it a lot. The Std has the potential for more speed than both of those though imo. I’m definitely open to one dethroning the gamer, if they can do it.

I set the loft at 8* draw and found another gear this morning, played a course I know very well and saw places on three holes I have never been. Had 200 or less into 2 of the par 5s today and got on both in 3 with the super hybrids. Birdied both but at least had eagle looks.

So apparently Callaway does not offer the Helium in more than Regular flex, even in custom???? Seriously. Ugh.

I hit some honest 250 yd drives today with no wind or slope, that is stupid long for me. Now I am pondering a GD AD XC in 6X to try and find a bit more SS, but the GD AD BB 7X is doing just fine so far.

My friend who played with me the 1st day with the Rogue 6X is absolutely amazed at the difference a shaft change could make. Now the conditions were crap, but I have to try real hard to hit it bad set up the way it is now and could not hit it out of my shadow and way way right most every time.

I noticed that last year too. :(

Was very surprised by that since its a stock offering. Hadn't even thought about it. Looks like I'll be ordering one with a Callaway tip from UST.

Reading this thread and all the posts from the Grand Daddy guys and others who have tried the Mavrik have been great and really been helpful. Listened to the fitting room podcast which was very interesting and really confirmed what a lot of guys have been saying here. Like my Rogue and stuck with it when i tried it head to head against the Epic Flash. Looking forward to trying the Mavrik and thanks to everyone who has posted you make this sight great.

Stopped by DICKs earlier and they only had the Max in stock. I didn't swing any but I already like the club head size. One thing I really like about the Rogue is the larger sized club head. Now I have the Standard in Rogue and am interested in seeing the Standard Mavrik but at initial first look glance the Max looked very nice.

I'll hit the Mavrik the weekend of the 24th against my Rogue on the Trackman and see what produces what and if a new driver will be in the bag!

Stopped by DICKs earlier and they only had the Max in stock. I didn't swing any but I already like the club head size. One thing I really like about the Rogue is the larger sized club head. Now I have the Standard in Rogue and am interested in seeing the Standard Mavrik but at initial first look glance the Max looked very nice.

I'll hit the Mavrik the weekend of the 24th against my Rogue on the Trackman and see what produces what and if a new driver will be in the bag!
This is awesome. Try to save your trackman data and post it when it get it all done. Will be cool to see the comparisons from the rogue offering.

I think you’re going to love the Max. Just a guess.

Issue is I don't know what my ball speed was with the Rogue. I tend to believe that the Rogue/Standard were probably more in line and that the SZ was a little less. So not so much that I gained ball speed, but probably the SZ just wasn't for me.

Totally agree.

It was enough that it was the first thing I noticed when I hit the Max. Not bad, just different. Max is louder.
It’s funny how different we all are. I actually find the Max to be just a little dull sounding to me and wouldn’t want something quieter. I have a nice middle ground I like because I thought the Srixon z585 sounded like a horrendously loud titanium bomb going off. Yet I love the sound of my Cobra F8 which falls somewhere between the two. I can live with the sound of the Max and I am already getting more used to it after just 2 trips to the range but I don’t think I could adjust to something that has less sound.

Standard 10.5 Degree with the Riptide 50 in Stiff and playing at 45' is on the way. A cool $15 after trade ins. Will give the Riptide a shot at least before I likely order my Helium.

Back