Callaway MAVRIK Irons

I don't find my eye wandering at all, which is big because i'm an iron ho.

You don't have to lie. It's okay if you look, so long as you have no impure thoughts. :p At least that's what I tell myself. I'm loving the Pros nonetheless.

if what we're hearing about the 2020 iron release is true, i'll definitely go test it out. but it has a tall task to beat the mav pros. they're plenty long, very straight, feel really good (to me), look awesome (to me), and are very workable/flightable. not really sure what else I would want in an iron?
Perhaps I've missed it, but what's the scuttlebutt on the 2020 iron these?

Perhaps I've missed it, but what's the scuttlebutt on the 2020 iron these?
All I was told about the next line is that they'll be pretty sweet. We haven't seen or had any details shared with us regarding them.

I'd be interested in what wilsons and what shafts you were in vs what you are in now. I have a split bag of wilson and callaway clubs. I like both.
Di7 Wilsons with UST Mamiya Proforce V2. The shafts I have in my MAXes are KBS 50g.

Okay @McLovin talk to me about toe side forgiveness. I dont have a set, but hit a 7 iron today about a full inch towards the toe and it was as if I hit it dead center.
This is the experience for me as well. I had a few that in thought I flushed, they were fairly straight and target distance. I looked down and ball mark was way out on the toe as well. Big time forgiving if that is your miss.

Played my fifth round with the Mavrik standards today. If we could maybe ever get a non-windy day I'd be able to get a better handle on actual distances, but they're consistently working out to be 1/2-1 club longer than my old irons. The thing about them is that they make me want to play more golf because they're just so fun to hit! Forgiveness is amazing - I tend to live off the toe a lot and don't lose near as much distance on toe hits as with my previous irons, and the dispersion is tighter. It really helps on a day like today when I was all over the place and just couldn't get anything going consistently. The feeling when you flush one is really nice - solid but plush, if that makes any sense. Like you almost don't even feel the impact, but know you hammered it.

I’m curious if anyone spent much time with the Pro 4 iron, and if they would recommend it over a driving iron or hybrid? I initially ordered 5 - GW, but I’m considering ordering a 4 to replace my 19* g410 hybrid / Cobra UT that have been battling for a permanent spot in my bag. The Pro 5 iron easily knocked my 22* G410 hybrid out of the bag.

I’m curious if anyone spent much time with the Pro 4 iron, and if they would recommend it over a driving iron or hybrid? I initially ordered 5 - GW, but I’m considering ordering a 4 to replace my 19* g410 hybrid / Cobra UT that have been battling for a permanent spot in my bag. The Pro 5 iron easily knocked my 22* G410 hybrid out of the bag.

I may have a hole between my G 4 hybrid and Max 6 iron. What was it about the Pro 5 that made it an easy winner for you?

If I were buying again, I would seriously consider the 4i for the Pro. The 5i is pretty easy to hit. I love my Pro 4h, but I would probably have gone with the 4i instead of getting the AW. I have an MD4 52°, which is a 4° difference from the Pro AW, but I hit them nearly the same distance. To the extent you can go and hit it, I'd go test the 4i.

I opted for a 4-PW setup with an Epic Forged 4 iron as a UT. But, after realizing how crazy long these irons are, I shifted to a 5-AW setup keeping the Epic Forged in the bag. I honestly believe that the Mav Pro 4 iron would be just as hot off the face as the Epic Forged. I will play around with it. But, I may just go 4-AW Mav Pro and keep the Epic Forged riding the pine for a bit unless I find that I absolutely need it for some reason. It is longer no doubt. But, it's 3 degrees less loft and has a longer, lighter, graphite hybrid shaft in it.

I will post more thoughts on it when I actually get a chance to play real golf. Should be in a few weeks assuming the pandemic hasn't completely shut down the country by then.

I may have a hole between my G 4 hybrid and Max 6 iron. What was it about the Pro 5 that made it an easy winner for you?

I find that I’m more accurate with the Pro 5 iron than with my old 4 hybrid. Hybrids for me tend to draw too much, especially off the tee, and I don’t have that problem with irons. My previous iron set was much less forgiving so the trade off on miss hits was were the hybrid was worth it, but I’m very confident with the Pro 5 and hope that the 4 iron would be manageable as well.

I opted for a 4-PW setup with an Epic Forged 4 iron as a UT. But, after realizing how crazy long these irons are, I shifted to a 5-AW setup keeping the Epic Forged in the bag. I honestly believe that the Mav Pro 4 iron would be just as hot off the face as the Epic Forged. I will play around with it. But, I may just go 4-AW Mav Pro and keep the Epic Forged riding the pine for a bit unless I find that I absolutely need it for some reason. It is longer no doubt. But, it's 3 degrees less loft and has a longer, lighter, graphite hybrid shaft in it.

I will post more thoughts on it when I actually get a chance to play real golf. Should be in a few weeks assuming the pandemic hasn't completely shut down the country by then.
How would you compare your gapping between the Pro AW and Jaws 52s?

How would you compare your gapping between the Pro AW and Jaws 52s?
That's a good question. I have no idea. There is still snow on the ground in MN. :p

That's a good question. I have no idea. There is still snow on the ground in MN. :p

Well you may have relief in sight. My MD4 52s is a few yards short of my AW, but spins much more.

ET1cPQqXsAAilhQ

Well you may have relief in sight. My MD4 52s is a few yards short of my AW, but spins much more.

ET1cPQqXsAAilhQ
Oh, I have been keeping a very close eye on the weather. Tomorrow is crap, then 40's and 50's throughout the 10 day forecast.

I imagine the AW will be a lot more in line with my old PW distance. My new PW is about 160, which was my old 9 iron. So, if I can hit this AW 140-145 it should gap similarly. I like how it flows with the set aesthetically, but does have some elements of a dedicated wedge in its shape.

Oh, I have been keeping a very close eye on the weather. Tomorrow is crap, then 40's and 50's throughout the 10 day forecast.

I imagine the AW will be a lot more in line with my old PW distance. My new PW is about 160, which was my old 9 iron. So, if I can hit this AW 140-145 it should gap similarly. I like how it flows with the set aesthetically, but does have some elements of a dedicated wedge in its shape.

I can't wait for you to be able to get back out with them.
I have enjoyed your feedback in each of the threads so far.

I wish I could chime in with some more useful information. But between weather and corona virus, I can only report that the Mavrik Pro 8-iron hits a birdie ball very consistently long and straight in the park across the street from my house. If birdie ball performance is to be believed, I'm very excited for this season.

I can't wait for you to be able to get back out with them.
I have enjoyed your feedback in each of the threads so far.
Thanks! I appreciate that feedback. It has been an excruciatingly long winter. Having an entire bag of shiny new clubs to hit has probably made it feel a little longer :)

these irons really are impressive. reflecting on my last two rounds, I hit some high quality shots, and most of my misses still got on the green. I think these might be one of the smallest iron heads I've ever gamed relative to the amount of forgiveness i'm seeing.

these irons really are impressive. reflecting on my last two rounds, I hit some high quality shots, and most of my misses still got on the green. I think these might be one of the smallest iron heads I've ever gamed relative to the amount of forgiveness i'm seeing.

That is really Interesting, because its very similar to how I described it. Although, I only tested a 7 iron.

That is really Interesting, because its very similar to how I described it. Although, I only tested a 7 iron.

and it's certainly NOT because i'm swinging well. I mean, the swings have been less than ideal. yet the results very good. spin also outstanding. these irons paired with the cs20 golf ball are leaving nothing to be desired.

This excites me the most. There will be plenty of misses on my part. If I can hit more greens, look out. All I know is that my SL Ten has been grooving for me indoors. Give me more birdie chances and watch out.

160 PW is huge!

With only a few rounds outside so far, my AW surprisingly is only carrying around 125 which is exactly the same as my old gap wedge. However on the top end of the bag the 5 iron is a full club longer. It has been cold and soggy outside so it’s tough to judge, but I’m curious to see after a few more rounds where any gaps might be.
I’m currently going through the bag mapping process on Skytrak and will post distances when I’m finished.

This excites me the most. There will be plenty of misses on my part. If I can hit more greens, look out. All I know is that my SL Ten has been grooving for me indoors. Give me more birdie chances and watch out.

small sample size over a few rounds, but here's what arccos says my proximity to the hole has been with these irons:

5i - 3.5' (it was a good shot..., but only one good shot!)
6i - 33.7'
7i - 31.5'
8i - 64.5' (it was a bad shot..., but only one bad shot haha)
9i - 28.5'
pw - 27'
gw - 25.7'

i wouldn't call those birdie chances, but they're really easy 2p chances. i'll take 2p pars all damn day.

160 PW is huge!

With only a few rounds outside so far, my AW surprisingly is only carrying around 125 which is exactly the same as my old gap wedge. However on the top end of the bag the 5 iron is a full club longer. It has been cold and soggy outside so it’s tough to judge, but I’m curious to see after a few more rounds where any gaps might be.
I’m currently going through the bag mapping process on Skytrak and will post distances when I’m finished.
Haha. Yeah, it's a bit longer than I traditionally would have liked. I wrestled with the thought for a while. But, ultimately, as long as my gapping is the same, I don't care what the bottom of the club says. Plus, those numbers are from indoor Trackman sessions. So, hitting off of a mat, spin numbers not being 100% accurate could see me playing some more traditional distances once I am outdoors again. In any event, I have the set AW now should I need to throw it in the bag.

Back