Callaway MAVRIK Irons

Thanks BSI.
I probably should have updated. He ended up going straight through with Pros and getting a hybrid in the 4 slot instead of iron.
Does he have any rounds under his belt yet?

Putting and garage sim work

Two more rounds in the books over the last two days and starting to dial things in a bit more. Ball flight and spin is absolutely lower across the board which is a benefit to my game and in many cases at least now a club longer and in the long irons about ~2 clubs longer on well struck shots. Partly due to the lofts being stronger, but the ball flight and spin changes are definitely helping me there. 5i before was my 185 club, now I’ll use it up to 205-215. I was living off the toe quite a bit in both rounds, this is where the forgiveness is really becoming apparent. I was able to hit more greens than usual because of it. To give you an idea on the toe hit forgiveness, I almost had my first hole in one yesterday on a par 3, I thought I flushed it, saw it roll over the cup and looked down to see this. So yes, forgiving is probably an understatement.

1592665846407.png

i continue to enjoy the heck out of my mav pros. practiced for a few hours yesterday, most of my swings were with 9i and 7i. that powerful feel at impact and a high strong flight is a thing of beauty. and they’re holding up great. thousands of shots on them and they look excellent.

Has anyone tested the Mav Pros against the CF19s? Would love to test those 2 irons together but the hitting bays at Golf stores around here (Canada) are closed.
My issue with the Mav Pros are the shaft upgrades are quite costly compared to the shaft upgrades for CF19s which are free for steel shaft upgrades. For the shafts I want on the Mav Pros ( Modus 3 120 S) it comes out to about the same price as a set of custom CF19s.

I've hit the Mav Pro 7i before the pandemic hit and really liked it. But if the Cf19s are quite similar in performace, feel and now in price I'd probably lean towards the Cf19s.

Last edited:
Has anyone tested the Mav Pros against the CF19s? Would love to test those 2 irons together but the hitting bays at Golf stores around here (Canada) are closed.
My issue with the Mav Pros are the shaft upgrades are quite costly compared to the shaft upgrades for CF19s which are free for steel shaft upgrades. For the shafts I want on the Mav Pros ( Modus 3 120 S) it comes out to about the same price as a set of custom CF19s.

I've hit the Mav Pro 7i before the pandemic hit and really liked it. But if the Cf19s are quite similar in performace, feel and now in price I'd probably lean towards the Cf19s.

my irons before the grandaddy were cf19, and now i’m gaming mav pro.

to me, cf19 are a bit bigger than mav pro. so visually i give the edge to mav pro if you like a slightly smaller footprint (though not as small as apex pro or blades obviously)

performance wise, i fine mav pro to be more consistent. i missed more greens with cf19 than mav pro. and i think mav pro while maybe more punishing through the hands on mishits, i think they’re more forgiving than cf19.

cf19 to my eye launched higher and spun more. also felt much softer across the face.

they’re both fantastic irons.

After multiple months off, I was finally able to get back out and play yesterday morning. We played at The Tribute here in DFW, which is a links style course, and one I had only played about 4 years prior. Everything was wet, as it had rained most of the night and we teed off at 8am.

Due to several factors (winds, errant tee shots, etc), I didn't use the Mav Max irons quite as often as I typically would. The irons I did use, were just as fun as I remember. When the soaked grass didn't grab the club head, I typically had a nice solid strike that stayed on course most of the time. I previously hadn't used the set AW that often, but did several times yesterday, and it was a really nice wedge. I felt like I still had control over the ball, even if it wasn't exactly like the MD5. Nice solid hit, and spin as well.

I'm playing a different course tomorrow, and we'll see how that goes. Still really enjoying the Max irons.

Last edited:
Another round in the books yesterday. It was not a great ball striking day at all for me but the Mav kept me in play for the most part. Starting to get more confident in my distances for 4-PW and had a few really good shots proving they are almost 2 full club lengths on perfectly struck balls. Ended the round with a smoked 6i that went about 200yds just barely held the green long that allowed me close out the round with a birdie. The only part of the set i am still struggling with is the set GW/AW distances, I may make a tweak or two there and bend the AW and sub in an extra Jaws wedge, since I’ve been striking those quite well and gives me another option around the green.

There’s a really fantastic soft feel to these when you strike them. Not even just the center or well struck shots. More than 75% of my shots feel like I hit it right on the screws. Doesn’t mean I’m flag hunting every swing but I just really love the feeling of hitting these. Combined with the low spin profile, it’s hard for me to imagine playing any other iron set...and there are a lot of good irons out there!

For the same money I'd choose the CF19s by far. I think one of the benefits of the Mav pros is that they're a lot cheaper.

I'm with @McLovin on the Mav pros having a smaller footprint and better look. They're really sharp at address. And on then being more hand punishing. I found them to be less consistent than the Apex though, and the forgiveness maybe a tie (they're both forgiving, but in slightly different ways, imo). I think the cf19 feel better while clicking a little more, which is odd to even say/write. The cf19 fly higher than just about any current iron in that category, but I haven't really had any increased spin to go along with that. They just have a high launch and ball flight. It's pretty universal across reviews, and it's definitely something to consider for your weather conditions. The Mav pros fly a little lower with the same shafts but I had trouble maintaining enough/consistent spin with them. I did a lot of direct comparisons and for me the Mav pros were slightly longer and less consistent. Everyone's results are different though.
They're both great for who they fit, and I think between the Mav, Apex, Mav pro, and Apex pro they have just about every player need covered. You'll probably be happy with whichever you choose.

Last edited:
I’ve been considering ordering a Mavrik std 5 iron. Right now I am hitting the 6 iron what was the equivalent of my 4 hybrid. For whatever reason I am really struggling with hybrids right now, and this 6 iron has been one of my go to “less than driver” shots off the tee.
this 6 iron is the hottest face of any iron I have ever hit.

7th hole in particular at my course requires less than driver due to a massive slope and hazard/ditch between fairway and green. This has become my go to play on this role.

if I can hit a 5 iron as well as this 6, I might be tempted to use it on some of the tighter par 5 holes as opposed to my 3 wood as well.

2C5E494D-3F5B-40D3-83E6-C8BEFE4C26C5.jpeg

I’ve been considering ordering a Mavrik std 5 iron. Right now I am hitting the 6 iron what was the equivalent of my 4 hybrid. For whatever reason I am really struggling with hybrids right now, and this 6 iron has been one of my go to “less than driver” shots off the tee.
this 6 iron is the hottest face of any iron I have ever hit.

7th hole in particular at my course requires less than driver due to a massive slope and hazard/ditch between fairway and green. This has become my go to play on this role.

if I can hit a 5 iron as well as this 6, I might be tempted to use it on some of the tighter par 5 holes as opposed to my 3 wood as well.
When I ordered my Mav std irons, I went 6i-AW. I haven't carried a 5i for years, couldn't hit one consistently. A friend of mine also has the Mav std irons and he has the 5i in his set. I tried it one day for a long par 3 and hit a great shot with it. Tried it a few more times that round, went home and ordered one, it now occupies a place in my bag. The Mav std 5i is as easy to hit as the 6i-9i in the set (at least IMO).

One thing I'm not sure I've mentioned about the Mav Pros is how much the spin impresses me. It's obviously different for everyone and I'm generally a high spin player, but the stopping power on these has been really great, even out of some terrible lies in the rough.

i enjoy my mav pros more and more each time i hit them. there’s something about the feel that resonates with me, more than a softer feeling iron. today i hit a few shots out of the heel that honestly felt really good but didn’t go as far because of the kicked up spin. but with gnarly range balls pretty much all my misses are still really straight.

i see a lot of mav woods in the wild, but very few irons. that’s a bummer for me, because the tech is really impressive and at a great price.

i wanted to throw up some face pics of my mav pros.

aw and pw
D3644D5A-29DF-47AE-B431-DEA94E7E4CC5.jpeg

9-7
2E3C8455-5EE9-49EB-BFF5-BF728FF1B0FF.jpeg

6-5
5AB11351-761F-4830-89B5-CE8C5033214A.jpeg

Quite a few rounds over the last few days and the Mav Pros were just so consistent. My distances are dialed. The ball flight isn’t too high or spinny. And the soft feel you get when you tag one well is addicting. Slightly more ofFset than the apex pros and a tad thicker top line but I’m taking the mavriks all day every day.

There’s a really fantastic soft feel to these when you strike them. Not even just the center or well struck shots. More than 75% of my shots feel like I hit it right on the screws.

Great explanation. I would have to agree with this in regards to the Max irons as well.

Great explanation. I would have to agree with this in regards to the Max irons as well.
Same for the Mav Standard irons. Absolutely love the feel of a purely struck shot with them!

Quite a few rounds over the last few days and the Mav Pros were just so consistent. My distances are dialed. The ball flight isn’t too high or spinny. And the soft feel you get when you tag one well is addicting. Slightly more ofFset than the apex pros and a tad thicker top line but I’m taking the mavriks all day every day.

the feel out of the middle is so freaking good. I buttoned a few on the range today and it's an effortless powerful feel. not "buttery" soft, just kinda spongy and solid at the same time.

the feel out of the middle is so freaking good. I buttoned a few on the range today and it's an effortless powerful feel. not "buttery" soft, just kinda spongy and solid at the same time.
It's definitely a different feel with them. They're not forged and you can tell. It's not a bad thing when I say that either. But, in no way are they hard or clicky feeling. They feel so powerful off the middle of the face. They're just different than anything I'm used to. Spongy solid is actually a great way to describe them, lol.

To all who choose the catalyst shafts with the mavrik, how high do you launch your irons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know they aren’t forged but I’ve played forged irons a lot previously and the feel is (Dare I say it) better than a forged iron? I don’t know what it is but previous cast irons I’ve hit always felt harsh or clicky. The Mav Pros are the best of both worlds. Feel of a forged and they don’t dent or “scar” nearly as bad.

I know they aren’t forged but I’ve played forged irons a lot previously and the feel is (Dare I say it) better than a forged iron? I don’t know what it is but previous cast irons I’ve hit always felt harsh or clicky. The Mav Pros are the best of both worlds. Feel of a forged and they don’t dent or “scar” nearly as bad.

I know it's offensive to some, but I kinda agree. I've hit forged irons. They feel great. But these Mav Pros out of the middle feel every bit as good if not better (albeit in a different way).

I know it's offensive to some, but I kinda agree. I've hit forged irons. They feel great. But these Mav Pros out of the middle feel every bit as good if not better (albeit in a different way).
Some will never agree (Or just admit) that a cast iron could possibly feel as good if not better than a forged iron.

Which is odd even from me cause I’ve played forged irons for the last 7 years exclusively.

Some will never agree (Or just admit) that a cast iron could possibly feel as good if not better than a forged iron.

Which is odd even from me cause I’ve played forged irons for the last 7 years exclusively.

and for those following at home, Callaway ran out of mav irons at the grandaddy, so you received apex pros to play that week and until they could fulfill your mav pro build sheet. which means you received some of the best-feeling forged irons on the market, AND the mav pros, and still prefer the mav pros. that's a pretty big deal. personal preference prevails, but still not something to be overlooked.

Back