Callaway MD3 Wedges Review Thread

Has anyone had a chance to try the 46* wedge? I am looking to replace my pitching wedge with th md3 and I play on going 46* and 50* in the s grind. I never had a not set wedge before and wondered what the difference would be.

Sometimes the 46 wedge isn't as forgiving or fly quite the same as the set wedge. Sometimes it's better, sometimes it's worse. It's definitely one of those things you have to try before you buy to make sure you like it before you pull the trigger on it.

I know that sucks and doesn't help much but there's not really an easy answer for it.

Sometimes the 46 wedge isn't as forgiving or fly quite the same as the set wedge. Sometimes it's better, sometimes it's worse. It's definitely one of those things you have to try before you buy to make sure you like it before you pull the trigger on it.

I know that sucks and doesn't help much but there's not really an easy answer for it.
Yea that seems like the reality of club buying... Now where can I get my hands on a 46* wedge and hit multiple shots with it... The Grandaddy? Fingers crossed haha

I only hit mine at the short game area and maybe a half dozen times on both courses this weekend. I don't normally hit a 56/10 from the fairway and I was fortunate to stay out of most of the bunkers. I did use it from some uphill lies around the green where my 60* would have come up short. It performed just as I expected and was able to get up and down with a few gimmes. I'll do some more experimenting with it after our club championship and the few other competitive days that I have left are over.

Want.

No...

NEED, a 54W.

58/11 W will be bought today

Going to be taking the 58* W grind for a run later this week.

Still waiting on mine to ship but my dad's will be here tomorrow

Have the 50* in the bag and am enjoying it. One of the best wedges I have ever played. Feel is very soft. Wedge feels balanced. Have no problems with full shots or partial ones

I am thrilled to be armed with these in December. I am wondering if I will keep the PM Grind in the 60 degree spot, or end up with one of these? If I had to do set my own bag up I would probably go W grind in the 54 bent to 55 and then a 60 degree PM grind, but luckily Callaway is going to help me with the tough decisions!

Last nights range session was my first with these. A few thoughts:

-if I thought the 58/10 PM was cheating, the 58/11W is a close second. I only use my 58 out of green side bunkers and this one performed pretty well. It's a personal preference, but I like the W better than the PM from an overall footprint standpoint. It sets up like traditional wedges I've used in the past and the confidence was instantly there. The W sole worked through the sand easily and I was able to minimize roll out. I found an area with more compact sand and the sole had no issues elevating the ball out of that lie. I know sand shots are mostly technique, but the club/sole does its job when you do yours.

-after one session the 54 & 54 S are cemented in the bag. I hit shots in the range to yardages from 90yds and in. For the most part I was seeing decent check to my target and the distance/feel was just as good as my SM5's. Around the green chipping/pitching is where these shined. I was using range balls, but for a while used some chrome softs to get a sense of what it would be like during a round and I was impressed. I was pitching/chipping from about 30-20 yds, trying various trajectories and the results were pretty good. I saw less roll out than I had before so this allowed me to try and fly the ball closer to the hole knowing it would one hop and stop, or back up a little.

Overall I'm impressed from my first session and getting these out on the course is the next step.

Chrome Softs and these are like cheating. They stop SO quickly, you can almost throw it within 5ft of the hole because it's probably going to stop really quickly when it takes that first bounce.

Chrome Softs and these are like cheating. They stop SO quickly, you can almost throw it within 5ft of the hole because it's probably going to stop really quickly when it takes that first bounce.

I saw a lot of that and was pleasantly shocked. I'm used to the ball rolling out a bit and with this combo it's like they have Velcro stuck to the ball.

I saw a lot of that and was pleasantly shocked. I'm used to the ball rolling out a bit and with this combo it's like they have Velcro stuck to the ball.

Something like that, it's like cheating haha

Looks like my 54W will be here Thursday! In time for a Saturday Disney Debut!

I am thrilled to be armed with these in December. I am wondering if I will keep the PM Grind in the 60 degree spot, or end up with one of these? If I had to do set my own bag up I would probably go W grind in the 54 bent to 55 and then a 60 degree PM grind, but luckily Callaway is going to help me with the tough decisions!
Trying to make the same decision. Love my 60 PM but willing to give this a shot at that spot.

Anyone playing these in either the 50 or 52* at all?

Really considering dropping my Altitude DW, and replacing it with a MD3!

Within a week or so I will be gaming the 52. I have a $50 Dicks gift card and I'm just waiting for the opportunity to get there and use it

I have the 52* and like it. It does what I need and has been great around the greens during my practice sessions so far. It will hit the course for the first time this weekend.

Toddddddddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay is the daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay my 54W arrives. Woot woot!

Debut by WDW fire this weekend too.

I am seeing the same thing. Chipped a few on to greens this week, expecting it to run a little only to have it immediately check up on me.

Have hit a few approach shots with the MD3 and have had the ball spin back on me.

Really thinking of replacing my Vokey's with MD3's. I currently have a 50,54,58 setup but may go to a 52,56,60. My PW is 46 so the gapping is right with my set up now but not loving my 58* lob...maybe I'll go get a 60* MD3 to test it out. Man...just got my Vokey's this summer though. BLEH!

Back