Callaway MD3 Wedges Review Thread

Canadan and Jman,

Would you keep that acid green grip or put a red or black grip to match the head?
Tough call. The stock grip on that thing is pretty awesome.
I wouldn't do anything because if I had that then my tremendous friend Dan would cut me and take it LOL

If mine, I'd go red UTx, but always UTx for me.

So, I adore my PM grind 60, but I'm seriously contemplating a 60W in the MD3, bounce is definitely MY friend.
Nah. But we'd talk about it a lot haha

For those who have played or gotten a chance to hit the W grind on these beauties, have any of you gamed ATV wedges in the past? And if so would you say you find the grind and feel to be somewhat similar? Obviously no clubs are exactly alike but because I seem so comfortable with my current ATVs and the fact that the W grind look like they fit my eye the same way I feel like these may be a ponder come true! Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

I could see some of that, yeah. It reminds me most of the Vokey K grind more than the ATV. The ATV just has a little different sole.

Been thinking about these wedges lately. I tried to hit them at my local store but I got yelled out of the bay after the first shot went through the net and nearly killed someone. Although that one swing felt fantastic.

I'm playing the MD2T in 54/58 and would likely replace them with a MD3 54S and MD3 58C. In this parched state I play a lot of very firm courses and have a pretty steep angle of attack. Do you guys think those grinds would be suitable? I used to play Vokeys and since moving the the MD2T, I just feel like I've lost some of that wedge magic. From the reviews here, it sounds like this will be a definite upgrade.

Been thinking about these wedges lately. I tried to hit them at my local store but I got yelled out of the bay after the first shot went through the net and nearly killed someone. Although that one swing felt fantastic.

I'm playing the MD2T in 54/58 and would likely replace them with a MD3 54S and MD3 58C. In this parched state I play a lot of very firm courses and have a pretty steep angle of attack. Do you guys think those grinds would be suitable? I used to play Vokeys and since moving the the MD2T, I just feel like I've lost some of that wedge magic. From the reviews here, it sounds like this will be a definite upgrade.
If you are steep, the w grind is fantastic. Roger Cleveland says people need more bounce, and I would have to agree. I like to set up my sand wedge with bit more bounce (w grind) and the lob wedge with less (c grind) that way it gives me options

I used my 54* W for literally every single shot inside 115 today unless I was extremely short sided for a chip or in a steep trap, for those it was the 60* PM, but we are talking literally 6 shots over 54 holes. I freaking adore the W grind. I'm a steep guy with the wedges and I've just come to embrace and accept it and the W sole really has let me. Still extremely versatile for me too, which is nice. Need work dialing in the #'s on chips and pitches, but I'm going to get there.

Definitely going 54W in December for #TheGrandaddy, after that probably staying 60PM (but man I would punch a hobo for that one to come in this black finish).

I used my 54* W for literally every single shot inside 115 today unless I was extremely short sided for a chip or in a steep trap, for those it was the 60* PM, but we are talking literally 6 shots over 54 holes. I freaking adore the W grind. I'm a steep guy with the wedges and I've just come to embrace and accept it and the W sole really has let me. Still extremely versatile for me too, which is nice. Need work dialing in the #'s on chips and pitches, but I'm going to get there.

Definitely going 54W in December for #TheGrandaddy, after that probably staying 60PM (but man I would punch a hobo for that one to come in this black finish).

Knew you would love that club. Glad to hear it's treating you well. It's probably one of the best wedges I've ever gamed, it's the total package.

Lost me at the hobo thing though haha

I'm thinking a 56W would be a good option for me since I only play one wedge after my set GW.

I would have to agree with you on that last statement. I doubt there will be any hobos to punch at ECPC though :(

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I would check out the W grind for the 54. I only got to play with it for a few swings but, more bounce with that club could be really good. If you like to open up the face with your 58 then I would definitely look at the C or check out the MD2 PM.

I'm going to be picking up a 56* after trying them on the course yesterday. I tried the 54 and 58 s grind and liked them both, but can't decide if I should stick with the s grind or get the w after reading all the awesome reviews here.

I'm going to be picking up a 56* after trying them on the course yesterday. I tried the 54 and 58 s grind and liked them both, but can't decide if I should stick with the s grind or get the w after reading all the awesome reviews here.

Get the w. It's so easy out if sand.

I think 56 bent to 55 W and 60W black heads black shafts acid green grips please :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you take a decent divot and plan to use it from the bunker, W Grind is without a doubt the best option out there.

Get the w. It's so easy out if sand.

If you take a decent divot and plan to use it from the bunker, W Grind is without a doubt the best option out there.

Im terrible out of sand but also very rarely play out of it. In my round yesterday at an RTJ course full of sand I managed to not end up in a single bunker. Also, the two cheap courses I play most often have about 5 bunkers between the two of them. I definitely take a decent divot with my wedges though. Borderline ditch digging with the 54* S grind yesterday. How is the W grind on full shots compared to the S?

Im also not big on opening up the face or playing flop shots unless absolutely necessary.

Im terrible out of sand but also very rarely play out of it. In my round yesterday at an RTJ course full of sand I managed to not end up in a single bunker. Also, the two cheap courses I play most often have about 5 bunkers between the two of them. I definitely take a decent divot with my wedges though. Borderline ditch digging with the 54* S grind yesterday. How is the W grind on full shots compared to the S?
I've played the S in MD2 and was still digging easily. The W MD3 has more bounce and is really resistant to digging. Bounce is your friend. Despite your ability to avoid bunkers, I know I try to do it because of my bunker game, you will find them. You will wish W Grind made it easier for you.

I think 56 W is gonna be the winner for me. Now just have to decide where I'm going to order from or stalk the bay.

Site unseen, Im leaning W grind MD3s at the bottom of the bag but no idea which degrees will make for the best gapping behind a Apex CF16 set A(wesome) Wegde.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

First range session today with the 54-W. Too short too tell but the added bounce and W grind sure is a good thing. I normally warm up with a wedge and hit a TON of heavy shots until I get in a groove. With this grind I was NOT hitting any heavy divot shots at all. I guess that added bounce sure does help. I'll have more feedback later in the week as I spend more time with it

I couldn't resist, 56 W grind purchased.

Ha. That was fast!

I was able to play around with the 54 and 58 s grind on the course yesterday. Great results but some huge divots.

I'm going 50* C Grind, 56* W Grind & 60* W Grind with C-Taper Lights. Can't wait!

Just picked up a 60* W grind Black matte MD3 to go with the 54* S grind in similar Black Matte MD3. Can't wait to get some time in with it tomorrow

Love the W grind for my 58* wedge. I use the bounce on almost all of my chips and it excels at those in addition to being very consistent from the fairway and bunker. No, it really cannot be opened much but enough for my purposes.

Back