Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges

Got the new 50w in play yesterday. Love these wedges so much. It it is so much more fun when you can rely on the balls checking up.

Got the new 50w in play yesterday. Love these wedges so much. It it is so much more fun when you can rely on the balls checking up.

and these wedges spin so hard. mine have gotten some serious usage, i know the grooves are not as sharp. but i can still make the ball dance. i think i’ll be due for a replacement before the end of the year, and i’m really thinking about just reloading with these. i like them that much.

and these wedges spin so hard. mine have gotten some serious usage, i know the grooves are not as sharp. but i can still make the ball dance. i think i’ll be due for a replacement before the end of the year, and i’m really thinking about just reloading with these. i like them that much.

1595301151303.gif

Well, my 58X just plain showed out last weekend. May have been my best wedge day ever. I hit several recovery shots that stopped within 3ft of the hole to the extent that I busted out laughing the last time. It was on a Par 4 where my drive was one of the top two of the day, baby cut over the trees to the middle of the fairway. Got quick on shot number two and pulled my shot 25-30yds left.
*FACEPALM*
Took out the 58X and hit a floppy approach that danced and sat within 2ft of the hole for a tap in. Heck of a par save. New grooves and this new ball are awesome and this grind in particular is just a lot of fun!

I love my MD5's! 54 C and 58 S. Last round I hit a knockdown from 62 yds to a foot with the 58 S and the ball hit the green and stuck, never moved. The other shot was a short side over a big bunker, flag about 6' from the fringe, ball was in the rough about 10' from the edge of the bunker. I had to go like 10-12 yds. Laid the face wide open, opened my stance and took a full swing. Ball went up 50'-60' in the air, the guys on the green said it hit between the fringe and the stick and rolled to within a foot. That has to be one of the scariest shots in golf! But the JAWS let me make it.

i got a 54 recently and love it. just seems to hit very clean and with nice spin. might have to get a LW and a GW

Jaws 54 wedge that has a lot of use is still holding up really well. You can certainly see the wear but the picture makes it look worse than it is. This is the grey finish btw. Finish and wear aside, this One of my favorite clubs right now. Love the 12 wide bounce
90812C9B-D361-4F5B-8577-5748DCDDE048.jpeg

Something about these wedges makes them very easy for me to use on full swings. I have had them in the bag for the last couple rounds because I have been playing around with a set of players cavities and the two Jaws wedges I have fit into the progression.

It’s interesting that many see a lot of spin with these. For me, they do not spin around the greens quite as much as the wedges I have been playing. They still spin plenty well, but as is usually the case, different people experience different outcomes.

I got up and own 4/5 times using either the 52 or the 58. That’s about as good as I can do. There are lots of good offerings, but these are great and I could easily have them in the bag full time and not look back.

Really enjoying the Jaws wedges, there isn't really anything you can't do with these. Easy enough to flight down when needed, hit a full shot that goes high and stop quick, little low runner up to the pin. Great versatility overall.
I did get another set of 50 and 54 in steel and really like the feel of the KBS Hi-Rev shaft.

Jaws 54 wedge that has a lot of use is still holding up really well. You can certainly see the wear but the picture makes it look worse than it is. This is the grey finish btw. Finish and wear aside, this One of my favorite clubs right now. Love the 12 wide bounce
View attachment 8954578

Where are the random toe marks? Oh, is that just on mine....

Took the wedges out to a short game practice area about a week ago to put in some work. The raw finish looks amazing outdoors and really eliminates any glare in a sunny day, plus the feel paired with the ‘20 CSX is great.

The X grind on the 60 is really good. Holding square the bounce is present which is great on the soft conditions down here in south Louisiana. I can also lower the handle some and the leading edge gets really low to the ground for those tighter lies making this grind very versatile for a high bounce option.

Took the wedges out to a short game practice area about a week ago to put in some work. The raw finish looks amazing outdoors and really eliminates any glare in a sunny day, plus the feel paired with the ‘20 CSX is great.

The X grind on the 60 is really good. Holding square the bounce is present which is great on the soft conditions down here in south Louisiana. I can also lower the handle some and the leading edge gets really low to the ground for those tighter lies making this grind very versatile for a high bounce option.

x is so good!

Couldn't agree more. I'm playing the X in my 58 and it's quickly become one of my favorite clubs in the bag.

Can somebody who has played both compare/contrast the X grind and the w/l grind?

The X grind is the bee's knees! These wedges are just awesome.

Can somebody who has played both compare/contrast the X grind and the w/l grind?

Biggest different to me is heel relief. I like to open up my wedge a touch when hitting pitch and bunker shots, and I’ve found the x grind more suitable in those situations. If you play the club square, or expect to use the wedge for full swings, the W is super forgiving.

:oops::oops:

I have the W in my 53 and X in my 58. Because the X has trailing edge relief, it gives you more versatility to open up the face and add loft for different shots.

The W has less versatility as far as opening up the face. For me, I rarely ever use the 53 for chipping/open-face shots so, as a digger and having an aggressive AOA, the wide sole of the W made most sense for me. Hope this helps!

The X is more forgiving when it’s soft. The Low W is great when the ground’s hard but is easier to dig in the soft. I’m using the Low W at the moment to great effect, but when winter comes I’ll be replacing it with an X for a few months (had the X in MD4).

I feel the x lays a bit flatter to the ground than the w, and can be opened a little easier without fear of the one that skids off the turf into the belly of the ball. w is probably better for softer conditions, but x is nice for someone who likes (or, um, NEEDS) bounce but plays in firmer conditions.

Anybody playing the new T grind?

my confidence is pretty freaking high with these wedges right now, particularly on full and partial shots. the par 4 10th was pretty nuts yesterday. smother hooked a drive left that caromed off the edge of the cart path and kicked into a fairway bunker. the second shot was uphill 160 with a decent lip of the bunker. of course i thinned it into that lip, and the ball finished in the fairway. hole was back right, lasered at 59y, but uphill a good bit and downwind. there is a false front, and the green slopes from the middle to the back. I took what felt like a 60y practice swing, but it felt like the ball would go too far. another practice swing still felt like too much, so I tried to play it closer to 40y. the ball come off perfectly, mid-flight and spinny. hit the crest of the ridge in the middle of the green, hopped and grabbed then started tracking to the hole. if I had 10 more tries I couldn't have hit it any better. go up to the green and the ball is about 6" from the cup for a tap-in par. yessir!

Not just you - mine have that “custom” option as well. :LOL:

The wedges where magic for me today. I use my 50° a lot around the greens. Easy enough to play a low runner or get the ball up a bit and land it some.
Guy I was partnered with today couldn't believe how much spin and I was getting on my shots. I was missing greens and throwing chips at the pins without thought and one putting like a madman. When using the Truvis ball you can really see the spin and how it reacts when it checks up.

My Raw wedges are rusting up quite nicely
a7e3128d389efeccb3a235528e52c667.jpg

my wedges are still performing so well. as much use as my 56x has gotten, still plenty of spin being generated. I had a short-sided, downhill lie bunker shot on a par 5 yesterday. poor tee shot left me 260 out, poor layup with an 8i into a bunker 120 out, poor pw short into the greenside bunker. hit it perfectly, and the ball stopped less than 2 feet from the pin. seriously impressive stuff.

Back