Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Fairway Wood Review

I’m completely here for TD 7w’s. Only reason I went to a 5w over a 7w was because I could typically get a sub zero or TD head and then just crank the loft up as needed.

The joy this brings me seeing that combo 😍

IMG_6119.jpeg

Can’t get over how good this looks at setup.

Hopefully it’ll dial in JUST shorter than my 19UW which would make my gapping situation a lot easier.

You Callaway guys: do they automatically adjust swing weight if you order shorter? Planning on ordering the TD 3- and 5-woods 1/2” short

I ordered a td 3 wood 1/2” short and it arrived d4. I don’t know if they did it with the head weight or a shaft weight. For a long time in drivers at least, they adjusted swing weight with a shaft weight.

Last weekend there was one time on the course that I wished I had a 3W instead of 5W laying 235 out on a par 5.

In years past, I always went D/3W/2H and had to sacrifice gapping somewhere lower in the bag. This year, I am going D/5W/4H and the gaps below are better.

Honestly, the only reason I have been thinking about 3W is because how well I have been hitting the 5W. I have to keep reminding myself that was the plan at the fitting: hit 70% of good 5W 210 yds. versus 50% of good 3W 225 yds.

But man, when you are nailing that 5W consistently, it is hard not to want the 3W.

You Callaway guys: do they automatically adjust swing weight if you order shorter? Planning on ordering the TD 3- and 5-woods 1/2” short
I believe they do, but best to actually ask Callaway to confirm for sure.

Last weekend there was one time on the course that I wished I had a 3W instead of 5W laying 235 out on a par 5.

In years past, I always went D/3W/2H and had to sacrifice gapping somewhere lower in the bag. This year, I am going D/5W/4H and the gaps below are better.

Honestly, the only reason I have been thinking about 3W is because how well I have been hitting the 5W. I have to keep reminding myself that was the plan at the fitting: hit 70% of good 5W 210 yds. versus 50% of good 3W 225 yds.

But man, when you are nailing that 5W consistently, it is hard not to want the 3W.
I hear you. I probably get just as much out of the 5w as I would out of the 3w (better strike with 5w outweighing slight distance with 3w but poorer strike)

That top end gap can be hard to think about sometimes. I did a season when I did driver/HW only. Didn't think about it a ton beause it was the only option I let myself have.

Really though, I am hoping fixing a bottom end gap outweighs the gains from a top end gap.

Last edited:
They should, but you can also request certain swing weights and they will accomodate!

I hear you. I probably get just as much as much out of the 5w as I would out of the 3w (better strike with 5w outweighing slight distance with 3w but poorer strike)

That top end gap can be hard to think about sometimes. I did a season when I did driver/HW only. Didn't think about it a ton beause it was the only option I let myself have.

Really though, I am hoping fixing a bottom end gap outweighs the gains from a top end gap.
Last weekend was the first time I really “wanted” a 3W. 235 yards out on a par 5 knowing that I cannot get there unless I try driver off the deck kind of stunk.

That said, I know that this was the plan and I have been hitting the 5W much more consistently than my old 3W. But being 225+ out and not having the option of “getting there” can be challenging.

My 225 yards off the deck with 3W were not “getting there” nearly consistent enough to have that as a spot in my bag

They should, but you can also request certain swing weights and they will accomodate!
I would recommend calling in the order to make sure it gets done how it should be.

Last weekend was the first time I really “wanted” a 3W. 235 yards out on a par 5 knowing that I cannot get there unless I try driver off the deck kind of stunk.

That said, I know that this was the plan and I have been hitting the 5W much more consistently than my old 3W. But being 225+ out and not having the option of “getting there” can be challenging.

My 225 yards off the deck with 3W were not “getting there” nearly consistent enough to have that as a spot in my bag
I think at worst it is a scenario where I consider buying another club if I can fill that gap. Be it a 3w or a hybrid, it is a definite consideration once I figure out the gapping a bit more.

The 3HL Max D is filling that spot in the bag really nicely for me. I didn't carry a 3W for a long time for the same reason - my well-hit 5W went further than my (usually) poorly-hit 3W. But the 3HL is actually more like a 4W, so it's a great compromise - easier to hit like a 5W, but a little extra distance more like a 3W.

I've hit about 600 balls today and completely broken my swing, which is AWESOME....ly bad.

Anywho, I was DONE for the day, then a box arrived, so I hit a couple. This is after all the work, and me being sore and grumpy.

There is potential. This is off the deck. There should be about 10 more yards in it when I get my act together. YES, I am being VERY self loathing right now.

View attachment 9240764
Thatll play! what distance are you wantin this club for 250?

Thatll play! what distance are you wantin this club for 250?
230ish carry off the turf. With an actual good move on the ball I expect I’ll see flight come up to max carry with minimal roll. I want 7W darts haha.

The 3HL Max D is filling that spot in the bag really nicely for me. I didn't carry a 3W for a long time for the same reason - my well-hit 5W went further than my (usually) poorly-hit 3W. But the 3HL is actually more like a 4W, so it's a great compromise - easier to hit like a 5W, but a little extra distance more like a 3W.
That sounds like a perfect combination - easier to hit and extra distance. Like you, I favored a 5W over a 3W and for similar reasons. I'm going to look at the 3HL Max D when I go a the Callaway demo day next weekend.

I really really like my 15* TD off the tee. It's so much fun hitting high bombs or low stingers. The forgiveness on this thing too just blows my mind, just like with the driver. I'm going to hitting this a ton off the tee this year.

IMG_1434.jpeg

I really really like my 15* TD off the tee. It's so much fun hitting high bombs or low stingers. The forgiveness on this thing too just blows my mind, just like with the driver. I'm going to hitting this a ton off the tee this year.

View attachment 9241077
That doesn’t suck. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Smells like POTENTIAL for the TD 7W! Off the turf, and the wind pushed it so ignore the left ending. Dropped on the green and stopped!

Screenshot (190).png

So as to not be called a boot kicker, I placed an order for a TD 3-wood and 5-wood, 1/2” short with requested swing weight of D4. Should have the 3-wood by the weekend or first of next week, with the 5-wood 3-4 weeks out. I have Ping fairways in the bag but am really excited to get a boost in distance and more versatility from various lies. Will be sure to give my input when they show up!

Im getting my TD 7w on trackman today. See where it fits

So as to not be called a boot kicker, I placed an order for a TD 3-wood and 5-wood, 1/2” short with requested swing weight of D4. Should have the 3-wood by the weekend or first of next week, with the 5-wood 3-4 weeks out. I have Ping fairways in the bag but am really excited to get a boost in distance and more versatility from various lies. Will be sure to give my input when they show up!
Nice! I am enjoying the heck out of my Smoke TD 3w. It's a step up in my opinion in forgiveness from the Paradym TD and it's long.

Sooooooo, one thing that I absolutely HAVE to be able to do with the 7W if it wants to make the bag, is hit it a little flatter both off the tee and the turf both situationally and because of the Oklahoma wind...

Check.

Screenshot (197).png
Screenshot (198).png

Back