Callaway RAZR X Black Iron finish

coachnd

Reaction score
Handicap
I need some opinions here guys.....

I know this may not seen like a big deal, but the more I think about it, the more I want to fix it
My Callaway RAZR X Black Irons are a little under a season old, and they look all scratched up. I take care of my clubs, I assume this is from normal play with them. I know with a Black club it is to be expected, but has anyone else had these issues? I was wondering if anyone knew if anything can be done to get that "New" look back. I know it is just cosmetic....

Thanks in advance guys

I don't know about getting the finish back, but my Razr X Blacks show wear on the face, but any type of black iron that I have seen has done the same.

how bad at they? Can you post some pictures?

Its the PVD finish, its going to wear and there's nothing you can do about it. Mine show significant wear on the faces after a full season. Hopefully its wearing the most right in the sweet spot for you!

Yeah mine are more worn than that. Yours aren't defective it's just what that type of finish does on any club.

Thanks!!! I did not think they were defective, I was hoping there was something that could be done to get the color back and the scratches out. But it seems like that happens with that finish......

Thanks!!! I did not think they were defective, I was hoping there was something that could be done to get the color back and the scratches out. But it seems like that happens with that finish......

Yep. But overall instill love the look

Yeah mine are more worn than that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your clubs look good. Each shot is adding character to the clubs. I know you paid a lot for them and they are your "babies", (same with my clubs), but at some point you just have to accept normal wear and appreciate it. If you did get them refinished they would just go back to this after a season or so anyway and you probably wouldn't be able to get the cost of refinishing them back out of them when/if you sell them.

Lots of places will do it, (google "golf club refinishing") but expect to pay $25-30 per club. Here is one place: http://www.golfworks.com/article.asp?ai=194

Thanks for all the insight guys. First black set I have ever owned, and like I said before, I guess it comes with the territory.....

Maybe I will start to think about some paint fill now on the numbers???????

Last edited:
My Niblicks with Cleveland's "black pearl" finish have done the same thing. For some weird reason, I like it. It's like I've really broken them in. :)

Normal wear that does not look bad at all...if they were wearing wrong, you would notice a big difference! I have heard of people with these clubs being very upset with the finish wearing off though! Luck of the draw i guess....I am OCD with that type of stuff and cannot even play Black Nickel wedges but love the look!

Lad the wear is all natural. Don't fight it enjoy it. I have the Razr X Blacks a while and my PW actually looks really cool. The PVD wear isn't as much as i heard with other clubs. The course you play may affect the wear of the PVD i.e sand based courses might speed up the wear pattern

Back