Callaway Releases B21 Irons, Hybrid and Fairway Woods

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
While it wasn’t all that long ago that we saw Callaway breath life back into the Big Bertha name, to an extent, the releases didn’t necessarily recreate what Big Bertha was originally all about. Now, before you get your pitchforks ready, bear with me here and allow me to expound a bit. 

Big Bertha at its creation, and in my opinion at its heart, is all about maximizing playability for golfers to make the game as enjoyable as possible while at the same time cutting no corners when it comes to implementing whatever technology necessary to accomplish that goal. What some fail to realize is the Big Bertha lineups have at times been the beginning of new tech featured for Callaway, particularly the irons with things like Face Cup and even Tungsten weighting. 

What I find most interesting about Callaway bringing the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nice write up @Jman

Good colours! Interesting about the made for shafts in graphite!
These would be interesting to try with so much offset...
Nice review @Jman!

Holy big irons! 50% bigger soles than Mavrik Max is no joke.

I like the look of the fairways and dig them shaving a little shaft length off the hybrids. I like the colors, too. Solid. Not overly flashy.

Thanks for bringing us the details, @Jman .

Jman great read. Question for ya. At looking at the Callaway website comparing these to the Mavrik Mak, these fairway heads seem to be about 30 cc smaller compared to the Mavrik Max line. Any idea why?

Great write-up and details in this article @Jman ! The fairway woods and hybrids have my attention as I do think there could be room in my bag for some combination of those options. I'll probably take some swings with the irons just to see what they are like but I've just revamped that part of my bag so unless these are the holy grail of irons I'll likely not jump on those...
Thanks for the ponder!

Very interesting read, as someone who just started to play golf last month this kind of set will be something to look into. From the sounds of it, these SGI irons/clubs are going to perform much differently than those starter sets from Amazon that help someone break into the game. Would these come in longer shaft lengths? I'm a fairly big guy at 6'4" and the golf store said I was a +1.5".

You get the custom through Callaway or at retail for sure

I do wish they had a Heavenwood option though, best club I ever had was the Big Bertha V Series heavenwood

Jman great read. Question for ya. At looking at the Callaway website comparing these to the Mavrik Mak, these fairway heads seem to be about 30 cc smaller compared to the Mavrik Max line. Any idea why?

I have not sat down at my computer yet but if I was a betting man on comparison I would say depth.

7D1B9ADA-6797-4DC1-ABE8-093ECEB57B1C.jpeg
E89E9D10-FF81-4155-8B3E-007438B368FB.jpeg
A91CDA76-C7BB-41E4-AE45-B37F259323D6.jpeg

503E1EEA-35A7-4DC8-81B1-6F973664F6C8.jpeg
7ACC1B5C-1966-4087-8448-5B6CD3A5E361.jpeg

EF81ECC0-0977-4AA7-BAB8-4CAA460E6673.jpeg

great write up @Jman! Those are good looking clubs, good to see all the technology going into a SGI club. I know a couple of "Callaway Purists" that will be excited to know the Big Bertha name is coming back !

Stellar write up James! Most enthused about the Fwy. That face looks shallow, which is my preference.

I really like the retro look of the Bertha irons. A lot of junk in the trunk, but they'll look good in the bag. I know the last generation of Bertha hybrids was well-liked and I'm sure this one is.

I've tried fairways with offset before and it definitely wasn't my thing but I could see those helping the right golfer.

Great introduction write-up, Good looking Super SGI Clubs. Will eventually buy some for a future SO to borrow...lol

Hybrid screams hook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

these will be great for a certain segment of golfer. i like the shallower look of the fairways.

They hybrid looks the best to my eye, but the FW isn't bad either. Offsets in FW doesn't kill a club for me. Color scheme is spot on. For this demo who thinks that they don't get the crazy tech stories incorporated into their clubs, the are for you.

Ease to hit off the deck. These are all about off the deck and into greens and maximizing that. Too large of a footprint and you negate much of that goal for most golfers.

Back