Callaway Releases B21 Irons, Hybrid and Fairway Woods

What's your approximate swing speed with the driver?
I sent in a video from the course for my bridgestone v-fit and they got me at 121mph which seems accurate for my driving distance. I haven't hit one off a monitor in awhile so I'm not positive but I would say that's a good approximation.

I sent in a video from the course for my bridgestone v-fit and they got me at 121mph which seems accurate for my driving distance. I haven't hit one off a monitor in awhile so I'm not positive but I would say that's a good approximation.

Ohhh. So higher swing speed by a lot. You mentioned FW woods, what are your thoughts on the hybrids?

Agree. Here's where I came from personally for the SGI wide soles not necessarily for all high cappers comment to clarify for folks.

When I came back to the game a dozen years ago I had a couple off the rack SGI sets in quick succession. Went for a proper fitting in 2012 as with hand arthritis I was concerned about playing again, period. After hitting a few of my current irons off the lie board he confirmed my miss with those was low in the face. After trying a bunch of brands and combos, I still am playing the same Miuras from that fitting. They are the "forgiving" Miuras and slight offset, sure. Tried G410's in a store recently and the sole drove me nuts. I could probably benefit from some newer face tech and may consider another fitting next year. But meantime, I still love those clubs, keep them in great condition and the gapping to the rest of my set works.

PP9003?

For an offset fairway wood. These look really good. I like that even though there is offset, etc. The face is still pretty square.. Well done.

Very well-written and detailed review @Jman! Good to see Callaway getting back to their roots with Big Bertha - I know a couple guys who played the BB irons back in the early 2000s and absolutely loved them. It's awesome that they've included a lot of their recent tech in the clubs - AI Flash Face, Jailbreak, etc.

If you guys have hit the irons yet, I'm curious as to how they feel compared to the Mavriks? Incorporating the urethane microspheres into them was a great move and if they feel anything like the Mavs there will be a lot of happy users.

I love my 2019 Big Bertha clubs. These add the stellar features from the Mavrik AI to the Big Bertha line. Looks like these will be my next clubs. Now if I can only find a way to talk my spouse into letting me spend 2 grand on them...

Have a set of PP-9003 in the garage, needing new shafts. Screwed the PW by swinging it inside and the edge hit a kettle bell. Kettle bell won.

Back to thread - I like the shallow face of the fairways - reminds me of the Ping G410.
I think I’m sorry that my first reaction was to laugh. I freaked a month or so after I got mine and the bag fell over in the parking garage dinging the sole of the 6i. It’s still fine. I recently looked up the cuurrent PGA value guide of the irons.....was shocked how low.
I didn't mean hit the "post" button to Desmond's note to also get this back onto the thread topic. But apparently I did and since you asked, yes PP-9003..it's in my sig.

I wonder when they will release the new wedge.

These are really cool looking clubs! I currently game Cleveland HB Turbos, and I love them, so I think I'm all set for irons...but the FWs and hybrids are a different story. I'm definitely a high capper and a relative newb, and as I'm taking more golf lessons and improving, I'm trying to find ways to overcome my weaknesses, which thankfully are no longer "everything but putting".

One area I currently struggle with is long second shots on par 5's from the fairway. I currently have a Cobra One Length F9 King 3 hybrid (19 degree stamped loft) with a graphite shaft that I purchased at a discount, and while it works great on long par 3's and longer needed shots from the rough, I struggle with it on fairway shots. Most of the time I just use my 4i, and since the HB Turbos are iron hybrids anyway, it works great, but I could use something that potentially offers just a little more distance. Definitely will talk to my instructor about these and give them a try at my local shop!

Ohhh. So higher swing speed by a lot. You mentioned FW woods, what are your thoughts on the hybrids?
I love hybrids to replace my long irons and at the moment replace fairway woods. I play a 3 and 5 hybrid (ping G30) and hit those instead of woods. The distance is great and I'm more consistent with accuracy but still miss with them more than I would like.

These BB's definitely seem like they could be a better fit to replace my current hybrids as they sound more forgiving, if I'm reading that correctly it's basically a shorter shaft for the stronger lofts which would probably help me quite a bit. Being able to control longer shots is a huge deficiency in my game right now. I gap pretty well using hybrids with my swing speed but would still really love a forgiving fairway wood that I have confidence to use both off the tee and from the fairway.

I love hybrids to replace my long irons and at the moment replace fairway woods. I play a 3 and 5 hybrid (ping G30) and hit those instead of woods. The distance is great and I'm more consistent with accuracy but still miss with them more than I would like.

These BB's definitely seem like they could be a better fit to replace my current hybrids as they sound more forgiving, if I'm reading that correctly it's basically a shorter shaft for the stronger lofts which would probably help me quite a bit. Being able to control longer shots is a huge deficiency in my game right now. I gap pretty well using hybrids with my swing speed but would still really love a forgiving fairway wood that I have confidence to use both off the tee and from the fairway.

Let's find out!

You just got tapped! Send a PM to @GolferGal with your full name and shipping address and we are sending one your way.

You review it in this thread as you test it and at the end of the testing, it is yours to keep. Enjoy.

IMG_0496.JPG

Let's find out!

You just got tapped! Send a PM to @GolferGal with your full name and shipping address and we are sending one your way.

You review it in this thread as you test it and at the end of the testing, it is yours to keep. Enjoy.

View attachment 8958671
WOW thank you guys I'm so stoked for this!!! Can't wait to get out and try this, I'll do my best to give a good review and as much feedback as I can for the forum. Thanks again, this is awesome!!

WOW thank you guys I'm so stoked for this!!! Can't wait to get out and try this, I'll do my best to give a good review and as much feedback as I can for the forum. Thanks again, this is awesome!!

A fun Albatross Club benefit is you never know when the shoulder tap will pop up.

A fun Albatross Club benefit is you never know when the shoulder tap will pop up.

What a great thing to do! Awesome, can't wait to hear the review @jvbart ! Congrats on the new club

That caught me completely off guard, seriously just made my day. It's so awesome you guys do things like this, I just hope my club reviewing skills live up to the challenge!

That caught me completely off guard, seriously just made my day. It's so awesome you guys do things like this, I just hope my club reviewing skills live up to the challenge!

All we ask for ever is honest feedback. I think every THPer can do that.
Good luck and I look forward to seeing the reviews.

Congrats man that is awesome

Congrats @jvbart, what a cool opportunity! (y) Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the B21 FW.

Honestly, these are the most super game improvement focused clubs I’ve seen in some time.

I'm glad Callaway has this line, for that reason. I think with the ultra-distance focus of the Mavrik, that's going to leave some slower swing speed players behind just because they won't be spinning the ball enough. This gets something that (in my opinion) is better looking, but still provides enough spin for someone who wants it.

I guess kind of live on the rails in terms of what I'm interested in iron-wise - I've got an Apex Combo set in the bag now and that's been kind of the right mix for me. Forgiveness where I need it with a smaller profile in the small irons. I'd honestly take a look at these were I testing irons. Frankly, I could use the help on days I'm not striking the ball well. But I don't want to spin a 7i less than 5000 rpm at my course. The greens are tiny.

Not something I'd seek out, but I'd hit them if they were available just out of curiosity. I hope they do well for Callaway.

The irons look a little thick for my taste/need, but I definitely like the look of the hybrids. I like the look of the fairways too, but I just filled that spot about a month ago. Too soon to start dating again IMO.

The irons look a little thick for my taste/need, but I definitely like the look of the hybrids. I like the look of the fairways too, but I just filled that spot about a month ago. Too soon to start dating again IMO.
From the photos in the article, the B21 hybrids look very similar in shape and face to the Mav Standard hybrids. I like their square'ish toe shape, it fits my eye nicely at address.

The fairways would be great other than what appears to be offset. Yikes. The driver looks really really good and the head cover looks much much much better than mavrik.

Back