Callaway Rogue ST MAX Fairways

The Rogue ST LS 3HL is really working well for me. Off the tee it is a reliable 240-245 club for me and I'm getting more confident with it off the fairway. Thank you again @xThor !!

Great to read this!!!

I've been struggling filling the gap between the driver and 3H (sub 70 - 949X). The hybrid was incredible easy to hit and absolutely launches the ball. I tried several 2H models but just couldn't get the ball in the air and most shots were pulls/hooks. I tried several brands of 3W's and couldn't find the gap filler or ease of use I was looking for. I did find this thread searching for info on the Rogue FW wood because it was the one brand I didn't try and I love my Rogue ST Max irons. I ordered the 3HL and it's a game changer! 220-235 off the tee or ground (30 yds short of the TM Sim2 driver and 20 yds longer than the 3H). It's super easy to hit and the swing is very similar to the 3H vs. the driver for me. They claim a draw bias in their marketing materials but it's super straight for me. The thin club face design could be problematic off a higher tee setup or tall grass but I haven't run into those issues. I couldn't be happier!

side note: The sub 70 949X 3H sounds just like the Rogue ST max fairway wood on impact...... You instantly know you hit it well!

I've been struggling filling the gap between the driver and 3H (sub 70 - 949X). The hybrid was incredible easy to hit and absolutely launches the ball. I tried several 2H models but just couldn't get the ball in the air and most shots were pulls/hooks. I tried several brands of 3W's and couldn't find the gap filler or ease of use I was looking for. I did find this thread searching for info on the Rogue FW wood because it was the one brand I didn't try and I love my Rogue ST Max irons. I ordered the 3HL and it's a game changer! 220-235 off the tee or ground (30 yds short of the TM Sim2 driver and 20 yds longer than the 3H). It's super easy to hit and the swing is very similar to the 3H vs. the driver for me. They claim a draw bias in their marketing materials but it's super straight for me. The thin club face design could be problematic off a higher tee setup or tall grass but I haven't run into those issues. I couldn't be happier!

side note: The sub 70 949X 3H sounds just like the Rogue ST max fairway wood on impact...... You instantly know you hit it well!
Awesome to hear you’ve found a winner!!

Got to hit the LS 3HL with my exact shaft (other than it was standard length) at a PGA SS. All I can say is...

Had a great year with the 5w so far that I’ve affectionately name “Penelope”. Has come in clutch through the year and today was no different. Hit on hole 9 a Par 5 on my second and had a draw on it that tumbled down the fairway and left a partial wedge in. Can’t say enough good things about the wood series this year from Callaway as they are rockets. I know some people look the other was as they dropped the adjustability this year and to a extent I understand that, but these should be on everyone’s list to try in a fitting if looking to solidify the top end of the bag.

Had a great year with the 5w so far that I’ve affectionately name “Penelope”. Has come in clutch through the year and today was no different. Hit on hole 9 a Par 5 on my second and had a draw on it that tumbled down the fairway and left a partial wedge in. Can’t say enough good things about the wood series this year from Callaway as they are rockets. I know some people look the other was as they dropped the adjustability this year and to a extent I understand that, but these should be on everyone’s list to try in a fitting if looking to solidify the top end of the bag.

Absolute 💯 :love::love::love: for the LS 3HL. While the face is deeper, I actually find it easier to hit, both off the tee and in the fairway!

20221016_185012.jpg20221016_185017.jpg
20221016_185027.jpg
20221016_185040.jpg

My 3HL has been an absolute game changer for me in the 225-230 spot.

Do wish I had nicked @Golfers Anonymous 3w in Myrtle though. That thing was amazing. Except for those wacky ass grips.

I'm hoping this will be the same for me around this distance on the fairway and a little more off the tee!

@Vader "Wacky ass grips" I'm rolling, but... it's true :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wow! The Rogue ST LS 3HL is awesome off the tee or in the fairway. Just so easy to hit! It's got the distance, but I really like the ball flight it produces.

Playing a few holes with my son after 18 earlier today.
Screenshot_20221023-134025_Shot Scope.jpg

Last edited:
I'm really surprised this thread is only 30 pages long.

These fairway woods are really good! Now that you can get them in CPO, no reason to not go all in on these.

Fast & forgiving!

Definitely a sleeper pick among the lineup this year. Love my 5w and have had great success with it this year throughout. I think they’ve been overlooked mistakenly by others due to the fact it’s a bonded hosel which I can see if some like to swap shafts or fine tune wherever the games at in the moment.

Definitely a sleeper pick among the lineup this year. Love my 5w and have had great success with it this year throughout. I think they’ve been overlooked mistakenly by others due to the fact it’s a bonded hosel which I can see if some like to swap shafts or fine tune wherever the games at in the moment.

With the performance I see, I'll gladly give up the opti fit hosel adapter on these. But @Golfers Anonymous your probably right.

Only regret I have, is waiting this long to get one. Should have earlier this year....

I have a 3W in the bag and it's a weapon off the deck, but I honestly just don't need to use it too often. I have no desire to replace it right now. I do think these would be a little better received in the 'lunatic fringe' circles if they had an adjustable hosel. I don't see that as an issue for most regular golfers though.

I have a 3W in the bag and it's a weapon off the deck, but I honestly just don't need to use it too often. I have no desire to replace it right now. I do think these would be a little better received in the 'lunatic fringe' circles if they had an adjustable hosel. I don't see that as an issue for most regular golfers though.

I'm really enjoying my 3W as well. Thankfully, with all the various lofts they had I didn't need to make a change to the loft and the lies, so the adjustable hosel was not necessary.

Can't wait for next Thursday as I'm playing a course that has a long Par 5, that I can try and go after in 2 with the 3HL and a couple holes where I'll use the 3W off the tee due to hazards.

The 5w has been very good to me this year. Mine is paired with the ventus red 6s and will stay that way.

cm24's End of Season Review
Even before the Grandaddy, my 3 wood was my favorite club to hit off the tee because of my love-hate relationship with the driver. If I needed to find a fairway on a tight hole, the club I would reach for is my 3 wood. I started the year with a 15° LS and absolutely LOVED it. It was so hot and the sound off the face was perfect. I love the look of the matte crown with the gold accent around the back edge, and the chevron is a great alignment aid that I find my self focusing on when I'm trying to hit a solid shot. The 15° comfortably put itself into the fairway finder role in my bag.

I made the switch to the Max driver (9° turned down to 7°), which increased my distance off the tee and drastically improved my accuracy with the big stick. The "downside" with the driver now is that it still goes really high, and it's harder to hit the low driver. It's a good problem to deal to be honest, and @93civiccpe was looking to trade his 13.5° for a 15° head to benefit his game. I took him up on the swap because I was looking for a hot, flat flight with 3 wood for windy days to keep the ball under the wind. Additionally, I swapped out the standard 6g weight for a heavier 14g weight. This experiment worked exactly as I hoped, and there are two shots from this past week that really stand out.

The first shot was a short par 4 that is about 305 to the front edge of the green, and I can pretty easily reach most days. Sunday was relatively windy, and this hole was into the wind and slightly from right to left. With the trouble being on the left side of the hole, I didn't really want to hit driver in case the wind got it more than I intended, so I reached for my "wind beater" and hit an absolute BOMB. The ball just bored right through the wind and carried 292 into the bunker just short of the green. Was that my intention? No, I was just looking to find the fairway and have a fairly easy pitch to a middle pin. However, this was the shot I wanted when I made the switch, and the 13.5° LS has filled the role of fairway finding wind beater perfectly.

IMG_4715.jpg

I rarely hit the 3 wood off the deck because I don't play many holes where I'm forced to do that. I can only think of 3 times that I've done it all season. The 2nd shot I'm thinking off was a 540 yard par 5 that I played on Saturday which was straight into a strong wind. For reference, the hole before it was straight downwind, and I hit a 388 yard driver over the green. Now I was coming back directly into that same wind. I had about 270 to the front of the green from the first cut on the right side and decided to hit a 3 wood off the deck since I knew it would similar to a low bullet off the tee. It cut through the wind like a hot knife through butter, and I ended up pin high.

This line of fairway woods is one of the best I have ever tried, if not the best. The one obvious downside is the well document lack of adjustability, which we talked about at ECPC in December at length and may be changing in the future according to some rumors from @JohnnyCallaway. For me, the adjustability doesn't matter once I find the right shaft. The only reason the adjustability would help me is when I'm testing it at Golf Galaxy/PGASS/ECPC/etc. because I wouldn't change it once I'm dialed in. However, the tinkering internet golfer in me REALLY wants to try the Ventus TR Red to see if it's a little easier to shape right to left compared to the Tensei CK Pro Orange in it currently... The only other thing is that I kinda wish they had a 7 wood in the deeper faced LS because shallow faces like the Max give me the scaries.

On a final note, I did make one other cosmetic change and removed the white paintfill from the scoring lines on the face to clean up the look at address. If you want to know what it looks like, just Google the Jon Rahm's fairway woods, and you'll see where I got the idea. I STRONGLY recommend it!

If you're looking for a reliable fairway wood, you'd be starting in the right place by looking at the Rogue ST LS.

End of season update but these fairway woods are ridiculously good. The 3w and the UW are fighting it out for my favorite clubs at the top of my bag. And that says a lot because I am loving the Rogue ST Triple D in the driver slot. The fairway is just so easy to hit and elevate. It gives me warm and fuzzies when I do stuff like this. Downhill tee shot off a 380ish par 4. How can you not love getting a club that acts like a mini-driver off the tee hitting it 302 yards and then turn around and play it as a par 5 killer to hit a 240 yard cut to a soft green?

IMG_20221016_133920.jpg
IMG_20221016_134313.jpg

End of Season Fairway Review

This line of clubs, more than any other this year took some getting used to. Going in to this season, this part of the bag was probably the area where I THOUGHT I didn't need anything else. I had two prior fairways that I got along great with, with one of them being a club I swore I would never need anything else because of how automatic it was for me. None of this is to say I wasn't excited, but usually when you find fairways that work, you don't move on from them very often...

Queue the entrance of the Rogue ST Max 5w. The very first second I hit this club, I was absolutely enamored. It did everything my previously thought untouchable 5 wood did...and it did it better. I gained 20-25 yards from that 5w to this 5w with the loft actually being a half degree weaker. Yes, yes we know loft isn't everything but it's worth bringing up with that kind of distance gain. It has gained the title of most trusted club in the bag and I truly don't see this club leaving my side for awhile. I said "ever" once and was proven wrong this year so I won't get in to definitives this time. Especially knowing that Callaway always has more coming!

On to the 3w. This was a mixed bag for me this season. So much so that it was even benched for awhile for just my 5w. Distance, accuracy and confidence were all just that much better with the 5w over the 3w. Eventually I brought it back in the rotation and I'm happy that I did. Now being honest here, I still trust my 5 wood more. I don't think that's going to change now that my season is over but towards the end there, the 3 was a real weapon.

There is this par 5 on my course that I just rarely put myself in a position to even think about birdie and am usually grinding over par. The last five times I played it this season, I had great birdie look and a simple par clean up. That all happened because of the second shot with the 3w. I'm excited to keep building that confidence next season.

Now I know I struggled with one of the two clubs that I had for fairway woods this season but I truly think the fairway line was the best performing/most surprising line from this years release. I know I'm not the only one on the 21 GD team that thinks that either.

Another thank you to THP and to Callaway for the opportunity this past year to be trusted to be a large part of the review process and be a part of this team. Wouldn't trade it for the world

Pretty sure I sold one of these over the weekend. My buddy plays the OG Rogue driver and loves it. He hit my 3W a few times and was talking about getting on CPO when he got home.

Fairway woods off of a tight lie have been a low probability shot for me but I've gotten so comfortable with the Rogue ST LS 3HL that I've been waiting to get the opportunity to try it out on course. On the par 5th 18th hole I had 230 to the hole into the wind and I gave it a rip and was pin high left in the rough. I normally would have layed up and tried to wedge it close but now I'm going to be going at it more often from that distance!!

When I was looking at Callaway's website, I didn't see that the Rogue St fairways had the adjustable hosel. But recently I saw a few on Ebay with the adjustable hosel and bought one, brand new, 16* Rogue St Max D 3 fairway wood. It arrived today, and I was able to put the head on my stiff shaft and am good to go. I really only wanted the head, but it came with a regular flex shaft.

How many of these "secret" adjustable hosel fairway woods did they produce in the Rogue St line?
Are they from club fitters? So they can adjust the club easily for a fitting?s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
When I was looking at Callaway's website, I didn't see that the Rogue St fairways had the adjustable hosel. But recently I saw a few on Ebay with the adjustable hosel and bought one, brand new, 16* Rogue St Max D 3 fairway wood. It arrived today, and I was able to put the head on my stiff shaft and am good to go. I really only wanted the head, but it came with a regular flex shaft.

How many of these "secret" adjustable hosel fairway woods did they produce in the Rogue St line?
Are they from club fitters? So they can adjust the club easily for a fitting?View attachment 9132912

I've never seen one of these at all. Maybe someone on the THP staff knows @JB ??

Back