Callaway XR 16 Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

Easier to hit off the deck than the 816 is for me. Does not have as heavy of a feel/sensation at impact to me. The forgiveness on it is crazy good. Not sure I hit the center of the face more than 2-3 times, and yet the results were all consistently positive.

These are all things I like to hear. Will be interested to see how the two compare off the deck distance wise.

These are all things I like to hear. Will be interested to see how the two compare off the deck distance wise.

me too. Obviously more tweaking can be done with the 816 line, both loft and then weights. Here, what you see is what you get. I will probably set up the 816 at 15* with the weight in the back and try to go 1 on 1 with that. I expect this one to fly higher.

1 outing with it in the books, done on an AboutGolf simulator.

Initial thoughts are this club is exactly what I was hoping for it to be. Easier to hit off the deck than the 816 is for me. Does not have as heavy of a feel/sensation at impact to me. The forgiveness on it is crazy good. Not sure I hit the center of the face more than 2-3 times, and yet the results were all consistently positive. Something about the matte-black finish that I enjoy more in a fairway wood than I do a driver, so of course I like how it looks at setup. Distance wise, it was up there with the 816 when hitting off a tee, which is great because I find that 3 wood to be really good off the tee for me. Sound was kind of hard to decipher with all the other noise going on, plus it's hard to get a great feel for sound when in a booth because everything seems more intense sounding.

Hoping for a LM session outside with it tomorrow or Sunday. Will compare it directly to the 816, and perhaps my trusty Big Bertha '14 3 wood.

Initial findings sound good! Fairly certain I'm picking up the 4W but it's certainly nice to hear everything you said.

me too. Obviously more tweaking can be done with the 816 line, both loft and then weights. Here, what you see is what you get. I will probably set up the 816 at 15* with the weight in the back and try to go 1 on 1 with that. I expect this one to fly higher.

Agree. I haven't put the weight in the back but that's because I was looking for the forgiveness with it up front. The test at 15* is perfect for me because that's where my 816 is at now.

I like what I'm reading in your first report DDEC. I've enjoyed the XR 3W in my bag and want to give these XR16's a try for sure.

I decided what the heck. Placed my pre-order for the 4W today. Too bad I won't get to use it until mid to late March!! I'll have to find a simulator in the meantime.

Looking forward to your feedback PC.

The x2 hot was a great club with the exception of the graphic on the crown. They killed it with the xr, looked and performed amazingly well. Now they make another great looking club but could be even better without that graphic. It's not hideous, just a shame.

Super disappointed to find out that many shafts that were available as no charge on the XR Pro FW from last year are now a $100-$200 upcharge. I'm won't even consider upgrading my XR Pro 4 wood when the XR16 would cost $375 plus tax if I got it with the Aldila Tour Green shaft I want.

Super disappointed to find out that many shafts that were available as no charge on the XR Pro FW from last year are now a $100-$200 upcharge. I'm won't even consider upgrading my XR Pro 4 wood when the XR16 would cost $375 plus tax if I got it with the Aldila Tour Green shaft I want.

Same goes for the XR16 Pro I presume?

Why not have the tour green pulled and reshafted on XR 16?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more. I wanted to pre-order mine with an Aldila Tour Blue but they want a $125 up-charge. That's a shaft I know works great for me and I don't understand why they would charge that much when that was the shaft that came in the X2 Hot. Figured I'd just have to risk the Fujikura instead. The Project X that came in the XR was a horrible shaft for me which is what's prompting me to move to this club instead. Hope the Fujikura works out or I'll be re-ordering with a Tour Blue and lose all sorts of $$ on trade.

Couldn't agree more. I wanted to pre-order mine with an Aldila Tour Blue but they want a $125 up-charge. That's a shaft I know works great for me and I don't understand why they would charge that much when that was the shaft that came in the X2 Hot. .

The Tour Blue in the X2 hot was a "made for" with about a 6 torque rating. The torque on the real deal was lower. 3-4 range if memory serves me.

Couldn't agree more. I wanted to pre-order mine with an Aldila Tour Blue but they want a $125 up-charge. That's a shaft I know works great for me and I don't understand why they would charge that much when that was the shaft that came in the X2 Hot. Figured I'd just have to risk the Fujikura instead. The Project X that came in the XR was a horrible shaft for me which is what's prompting me to move to this club instead. Hope the Fujikura works out or I'll be re-ordering with a Tour Blue and lose all sorts of $$ on trade.

Depending on where you're located, worldwidegold shops has a great 90 day return policy. Order from them and if it doesn't work out as planned, return it for what you want

The Tour Blue in the X2 hot was a "made for" with about a 6 torque rating. The torque on the real deal was lower. 3-4 range if memory serves me.

Hmm, didn't know that but it really worked for me. It's the 1 club I regret selling actually.

Why not have the tour green pulled and reshafted on XR 16?

Because I doubt the XR16 head is even 5% better than the 2015 XR Pro head. I'll stick with what I have which is normal as I often play the same fairway wood for 5+ years. It's just disappointing after seeing Callaway have a lot of shaft options at no charge last year go to big upcharges and reduced no charge options for 2016.

Dean thanks for the feedback. I need to swing this and if you're hitting this better than your 816, that is really good.

Has anyone done some trackman testing on this club vs last year's XR or X2hot? What were your findings?

Man I love that alignment aid. Simple and bada$$

OK that bitter sub 15º weather killed my LM sessions over the weekend. So those numbers will have to wait. However I did get a chance to hit the XR 16 and the Alpha 816 3(set to 15 weight back) wood next to each other in my sim league the other night. Got there early and just set up the range for tracking. Below is a screen shot of results. A few notable differences that stand out to me.

1. I prefer the look of the XR 16. The head appears slightly more stretched out and the face not as tall. Now in reality those differences when measured are probably very subtle, but for me I look down at the XR 16 and know without a doubt I can hit it off the turf and hit it high with no problems. Just inspires a little more confidence. That's completely personal and many will probably feel the opposite.

2. The 816 feels like it's a heavier hit, if that makes sense to anyone. Both put a good hit on the ball and produce high ball speeds, but the 816 just feels more like a sledgehammer out of the two.

3. Height wise, this one consistently flew higher. In fact most of the shots had the same trajectory compared to the 816. Was able to get the 816 to the height of this, but most of those shots were lower. Some might use the term penetrating for the 816 compare to the higher flight of the XR 16.

4. Distances(carry), these were really similar. The longest and shortest came from the 816. Longest carry was 228, shortest was 216. XR was firmly between those numbers every single time. All from off the deck, not from a tee. I'm not a long hitter so those numbers probably seem short to many out there. However, find me a 3w that I can hit off the deck 220 and I'm a happy man.

5. I used this during my round off the tee on every hole except for 3. The forgiveness on it is outrageously good. I tend to make contact low on the face a lot with fairway woods, and boy did the ball still jump out with no problems. Internal weight must have a touch of draw bias to it because all of the shots with it hugged the left side of center. 816 balls were a little bit in both directions.

6b18a532a63cfbea547399eb0637f76b.jpg

Those numbers are what I would be looking for and in my time with the 816 I see what you see with a few that "get out there" and a few that seem normal. I like the fact the xr16 was consistently between them. I like a smaller looking head on fairways so hearing that the XR is smaller is right up my alley.

Those numbers are what I would be looking for and in my time with the 816 I see what you see with a few that "get out there" and a few that seem normal. I like the fact the xr16 was consistently between them. I like a smaller looking head on fairways so hearing that the XR is smaller is right up my alley.

for me I'm happy with the numbers. I know I could game this club in a second and never think twice about it.

for me I'm happy with the numbers. I know I could game this club in a second and never think twice about it.

That's good to know. I'm guessing you have the speeder 565 in the XR? What do you have in 816?

Really good information Dean.
I think the higher flight is a great thing here.

Really good information Dean.
I think the higher flight is a great thing here.

it is. I'm not sure how the height difference is with the regular GBB FW. But again, they slot them price wise where if you want more features, just jump 20 in price to get adjustable hosel. Even more, jump to the 816. As their lower cost FW option, it offers a lot of performance without the extra frills.

Back