Callaway XR 16 Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

I don't know if XR16 is so much upgrade from XR. Played both and XR was so good for me. Struggle more with XR16 for some reasons. Hopeful it is only my swing that is not at sync right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit the XR16 3W today as well as my old pal the XHot 3 wood. First time swinging a 3 wood since wrist surgery in January. I had a couple to a few shots where it seemed like the XR16 carried longer than the XHot. But, there's just something about the XHot that's comfortable and feels great. I'll continue to hit both until I decide which one will be in the 3W spot.

Hmmm... I actually just had a feeling of buyer's remorse. Not because the XR16 fairway isn't good. But because I was looking around for shafts and realize that if I had gone for an epic, it would be easier to experiment with shafts.

Hmmm... I actually just had a feeling of buyer's remorse. Not because the XR16 fairway isn't good. But because I was looking around for shafts and realize that if I had gone for an epic, it would be easier to experiment with shafts.

That's why I went with the great big Berthas last year. I am still trying different shaft lengths and profiles.

I just picked up a XR 16 3 wood(15 degree) from Callaway Pre-owned with Speeder 565 reg. shaft. This is the most solid and longest fairway wood I have ever hit. Does anyone happen to have the XR 16 driver that might give me a review on it. I am hitting this thing as long as my GBB Alpha 815.

I just picked up a XR 16 3 wood(15 degree) from Callaway Pre-owned with Speeder 565 reg. shaft. This is the most solid and longest fairway wood I have ever hit. Does anyone happen to have the XR 16 driver that might give me a review on it. I am hitting this thing as long as my GBB Alpha 815.

Same for me, I absolutely love this club. I picked up an XR16 driver because I thought, if the 3W is this awesome, the driver must be good too. It wasn't bad, but I wasn't hitting it as far as my Ping G, so I sold it.

I appreciate the reply. You have been a great help

I was pondering replacing this 5w about a month ago with a Heavenwood or something, but after the past 2 weeks that is not happening. I got on in 2 TWICE with this bad boy last week with it, and hit a couple great tee shots the last couple weeks with it as well. Longest 5W I've gamed, and certainly the easiest launching off the deck. It does want to draw off the tee more than some others, but it's nothing crazy, and now that I'm used to it I actually like the extra roll I get. Off the deck it tends more to the fade, and off the tee I can play a nice controlled fade as well if I open the face up a touch.

And the sound is just AWESOME. Probably my favorite ever in a fairway wood.

If anyone has a 3W head only of these they're not using, I'd be glad to take it off your hands :D I'd like to stack this bad boy up against my mini driver and see if I want to go back to a traditional 3W configuration for off the deck flexibility and shot shaping purposes. The 5W I have is here to STAY, so it would be cool if I could pick up a 3W head and install the same ProLaunch Blue into that head as I have in my 5W.

If anyone has a 3W head only of these they're not using, I'd be glad to take it off your hands :D I'd like to stack this bad boy up against my mini driver and see if I want to go back to a traditional 3W configuration for off the deck flexibility and shot shaping purposes. The 5W I have is here to STAY, so it would be cool if I could pick up a 3W head and install the same ProLaunch Blue into that head as I have in my 5W.

I picked one up off CPO during their 20% XR16 family sale. Once it comes in, I'll be trying to get over to the shop to put a PL Blue in it.

Callaway XR 16 Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

#298 yard'er off 18th tee

Callaway fitters are gonna have a challenge making this better come Dec. ?

Callaway fitters are gonna have a challenge making this better come Dec. ?

#gottalovetexasroll #thatsapoke

Callaway fitters are gonna have a challenge making this better come Dec. ��

Shhh ... Steelhead XR in a fitted shaft...

Took the steelhead out today for its first round with a aldila rip beta installed. Wasn't swinging that great cause I've been battling some back issues for the last week. Won't lie, my first swing with it was a straight block right. The 2 other swings worked out much better. One big draw down the middle, next was hit low on the face and was down the middle as well with lots of roll. Hoping my back gets better this week so I can give it a better test at the range. I still love this clubhead regardless of the shaft I'm gaming in it at the time though.

Took the steelhead out today for its first round with a aldila rip beta installed. Wasn't swinging that great cause I've been battling some back issues for the last week. Won't lie, my first swing with it was a straight block right. The 2 other swings worked out much better. One big draw down the middle, next was hit low on the face and was down the middle as well with lots of roll. Hoping my back gets better this week so I can give it a better test at the range. I still love this clubhead regardless of the shaft I'm gaming in it at the time though.

Think you got your threads mixed up but it's all good! :D Glad you are enjoying it too!

Think you got your threads mixed up but it's all good! :D Glad you are enjoying it too!

Sure did didn't I. I gamed a xr16 earlier this year, guess when that spot in the bag has been a revolving door I get mixed up.

Reading some stuff here confirmed my thoughts. I have the xr16 #7, it was purchased about 5 weeks back. It hits high straight and the ball absolutely jumps off the face like a rocket. Yesterday I ordered the XR 16 #3 purely based on the way the #7 performs. Now will be bagging XR16 Driver, 3 and 7 all with same shaft. The jury is out on the Epic HW but it has the smallest of sample size. I have never hit it on the range, during a round this week I hit it once and it was not good. It was really bad , low line drive went into left woods and leaves - lost ball. All the XR16 #7 shots were perfect though. Hopefully , the Epic HW works out.

Last edited:
Back