Callaway XR Fairway Wood Review

Howzat is a manimal with this fairway wood.
Guess I shouldn't be shocked the the flightscope numbers mimic the on course results. Every half way decent swing I put on the ball went long and straight.

So I finally got to put my XR pro into play today. Yep, it won't be leaving my bag anytime soon. Launches the ball so easy and it is LOOOOONG. Easily as long as the 3 Deep but so much easier to hit off the deck. It looks great at address and fits my eye so well.

Only problem now is there is a decent gap between my 20° X2Hot hybrid and the 3 wood. Haha. I will make it work though. haha
18 degree XR hybrid?

18 degree XR hybrid?
I might go that route as well and put the 23° back in the bag instead of the 20° haven't decided yet.

Guess I shouldn't be shocked the the flightscope numbers mimic the on course results. Every half way decent swing I put on the ball went long and straight.
Yeah 147 ball speed with a 3 wood is stellar

So after playing two rounds this weekend with the new XR 3 Deep I can can confidently say I made no mistake by purchasing it. I did however order it with an Aldila Tour Blue shaft because that's a great shaft for me. Also, admittedly, I'm a horrible golfer so take all of this as you will. I previously played the X2 Hot 3 Deep with the same shaft so in a 1:1 comparison of the two heads I can say I did notice differences.

Most noticeably the sound difference at impact is the first thing that comes to mind. The XR has a much more muted and dull sound compared to the X2 Hot. That alone tells you there is something different in the face technology. At least it's not all just marketing jargon from Callaway. Frankly though I prefer the sound from the X2 Hot as you really know when you get a hold of one. The XR sounds the same whether you have a good or bad strike.

Next thing I noticed was almost all of my impacts were on the center of the face. That wasn't always the case with the X2. I can't quite know if I was just swinging more consistently or if the small difference in head shape contributed. I wouldn't think the head shape would matter much for impact position but just a random thought.

Distance wasn't noticeably different in total yardage between the XR and X2; nor was ball flight. However since I was hitting center face more often the shots were straighter than my average. I'll take it!

All told the XR 3 Deep is a great club and for me a perfect driver replacement. I'm not concerned with total distance, just straighter shots and this club provides a means to get me where I want to be. In the right hands of a real player I can only imagine what this club would be capable of.

Next up will be the XR 4W and 7W that are on a UPS truck heading towards my house. I'll be interested to see how the 4W compares to my current X2 Hot 4W. Will be trying the 7W to interchange with my X2 Hot 3Hybrid.

As I've mentioned before I've got the XR Pro 4 wood. My trackman numbers for the 3 wood were driver like which I wasn't looking to replace.
be60493038409465eec5228fdc6431c8.jpg

Now I'm looking to fill the gap between my 4w (255+ yds) and my older 5 wood which only goes about 215... But straight every single time. Maybe the 18* pro fw? Or an XR hybrid? The heads on the pro fw woods are almost small enough to be hybrids. Decisions decisions.

As I've mentioned before I've got the XR Pro 4 wood. My trackman numbers for the 3 wood were driver like which I wasn't looking to replace.

Now I'm looking to fill the gap between my 4w (255+ yds) and my older 5 wood which only goes about 215... But straight every single time. Maybe the 18* pro fw? Or an XR hybrid? The heads on the pro fw woods are almost small enough to be hybrids. Decisions decisions.
I just put the xr 7w (21°) in the bag to fill the gap between my 4w and 4i. And I am glad I did. Giving me the right distance with great launch. I can't stress enough how much I love the xr fairways.

I pushed a drive on a par 5 today. Had 240 is uphill to the pin in the right rough. Ball sitting decent, not buried. I would never have pulled a fairway before but today I pulled the 7w. Hit it a touch fat but still went straight and good distamce, stopping just short of the green. I freaking love it

Very interesting stuff. Seems like it is working well. The ball feels like it explodes off the face (I'm sure due to sound) and it becomes addicting.

I just put the xr 7w (21°) in the bag to fill the gap between my 4w and 4i. And I am glad I did. Giving me the right distance with great launch. I can't stress enough how much I love the xr fairways.

I pushed a drive on a par 5 today. Had 240 is uphill to the pin in the right rough. Ball sitting decent, not buried. I would never have pulled a fairway before but today I pulled the 7w. Hit it a touch fat but still went straight and good distamce, stopping just short of the green. I freaking love it
A 7w went about 240? Damn. As a point of reference, what's your SS Kang?

1.52 smash factor with a 4w is pretty incredible. Well done.

1.52 smash factor with a 4w is pretty incredible. Well done.
That was a 3w but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same with a 4.... It explodes.

Hit an 815 hybrid today.... I'm in love.

This thread has me in serious ponder mode about a XR 4w. I will get one of these in my hands soon.

This thread has me in serious ponder mode about a XR 4w. I will get one of these in my hands soon.
Just do it. Try the pro if you don't have issues getting the ball in the air.

Just do it. Try the pro if you don't have issues getting the ball in the air.

That's why I'm thinking 4w. I sometimes have trouble with my 3w, but, not with the 5w. I could use a little more distance than I'm getting with the 5w.

That's why I'm thinking 4w. I sometimes have trouble with my 3w, but, not with the 5w. I could use a little more distance than I'm getting with the 5w.
Well you'll get distance. If u have trouble getting it airborn, go with the regular xr. You'll fall in love.

I'm a huge fan of the 4w. For me, whether it's shaft length or loft, I have a lot more success off the deck w a 4w with minimal if any distance loss (more noticeable off the tee), and that makes for a much more versatile club.

A 7w went about 240? Damn. As a point of reference, what's your SS Kang?
Somewhere around 106 to 108 I assume. I think all these gc2 units in golfsmith calculate the ss based on ball speed. I've registered up to 112 but I really have no idea what my ss really is
Do it. You won't regret it

Well you'll get distance. If u have trouble getting it airborn, go with the regular xr. You'll fall in love.

Thanks Derek. I'm feeling a lot of love in this thread for sure. I would lean toward the regular XR. I'll take all the forgiveness I can get.

I'm a huge fan of the 4w. For me, whether it's shaft length or loft, I have a lot more success off the deck w a 4w with minimal if any distance loss (more noticeable off the tee), and that makes for a much more versatile club.

It's both no doubt. I played a 913F 4w prior to last year and loved it, before going back to the 3w/5w set up for the Morgan Cup. It wasn't long though, but very consistent. I'm hoping the XR will be just as consistent, but longer. I'd like to carry just one fw and add back another wedge.

Yeah it's well deserved love. No doubt sir. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks Derek. I'm feeling a lot of love in this thread for sure. I would lean toward the regular XR. I'll take all the forgiveness I can get.

It's both no doubt. I played a 913F 4w prior to last year and loved it, before going back to the 3w/5w set up for the Morgan Cup. It wasn't long though, but very consistent. I'm hoping the XR will be just as consistent, but longer. I'd like to carry just one fw and add back another wedge.
I think xr 4w will provide that same consistency and a bit extra distance. It has for me

I think xr 4w will provide that same consistency and a bit extra distance. It has for me

That's what I'm hoping for, Kang, and I certainly trust your judgment buddy. Actually, I could say that about a good number of folks in this thread.

I had a chance to take the demo out for a round today. Standard XR 15deg with reg shaft. Just wanted to share my thoughts.
I had a few swings with it before the round on the range. I tend to know if I should keep hitting a club or just put it down after a few hits. I ended up hitting 20 balls with it because it was effortless fun.
First shot on course with it was on our hardest hole. I was in the right rough and the ball wasn't sitting great. 220 yards all uphill for my second.. It came out of the rough way better than I thought it would and finished just short of the green...
Used off the tee (teed low as per feedback on THP) and the flight was amazing... Mid-high that just flattened out and went long (for me). Had 230 yards to a fairway bunker and I left it 10 short in the middle of the short stuff.
Second shot on a par 5 just to advance it down the fairway. Smooth swing and nuked it again around 215 yards and blocked a little.
The very next hole I found myself in a fairway bunker with a perfect lie to try the XR. This isn't usually a great idea for me but I didn't have a winning score going and I wanted to hit the XR as much as possible. The result off the club had 3 blokes and myself going "Holy crap." I had one of them give me a distance and I had 205 left to the green. 10 yards short of the front edge. Simple up and down saw a great par.

I have the XR driver already so I was kinda used to the shaft characteristics but it is just such an easy forgiving club to hit. Especially coming from an X2 hot 3deep which is now up for grabs on eBay to help fund a new XR 3 wood. Sad thing is I will probably just get the XR now and worry about the 3deep later. I've never had too much of an issue hitting non-pro 3woods high and I was a tad worried about the high flight I might get... It just gets up quick and just goes.. Doesn't balloon at all... Very very impressed... Will take it out again on the weekend hopefully to have another crack but 99.9% sure it will be in the bag soon

Great information and glad you found something you like.

It's been said xr 4w is awesome. I've had the 7w in the bag about 3 rounds now. I'm getting about 250 to 260 and a HIGH ball flight. Great since that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Back