Callaway XR Hybrid Review

Tucsondivots - congrats on the new 3H. I have the 3H and 4H and both are great. My experience confirms a high ball flight with plenty of yardage (avg. 200-210). Forgiving is a slightly different story for me. It's easy to swing these clubs too hard and this gets the ball spinning sideways. When confronted with a stressful shot; I have to remind myself to let the "club do the work". Slowing down makes it easier (for me) to hit the sweet spot and that's where the magic happens. Enjoy the club!

Excited to get my 4 & 5 reshafted. One of the Aldila Tour Greens arrived today and the other should appear in next few days. I enjoy this head but stock shaft is just not a good fit for me. Love the green in my X2H 3h so should be a good fit here also. Hopefully test on course next week/weekend.

Have the 4h. While I don't currently play it, I've been using it at the range and I'm starting to come around. Long and nice ball flight just too inconsistent with left to right dispersion which is totally a me problem. Largely a tempo issue I reckon. I think the G20 3h days are numbered.

Jman, I notice you really like the iROD shaft. Have you tried the Recoil 460 as well? If so, how do they compare?

Jman, I notice you really like the iROD shaft. Have you tried the Recoil 460 as well? If so, how do they compare?

Totally different beasts. The iROD is designed just for hybrids, in their lightest they are 10g heavier, I'm actually playing the 85 and the 95 in mine. They're phenomenal, Recoil tech built into them, but truly designed just for hybos, hell the iROD is the original hybrid shaft and the new version is fantastic.

Totally different beasts. The iROD is designed just for hybrids, in their lightest they are 10g heavier, I'm actually playing the 85 and the 95 in mine. They're phenomenal, Recoil tech built into them, but truly designed just for hybos, hell the iROD is the original hybrid shaft and the new version is fantastic.

So the Recoil 460 shaft that's on Callaway's website as an option for the hybrids is the same exact shaft that's an option for the irons?

So the Recoil 460 shaft that's on Callaway's website as an option for the hybrids is the same exact shaft that's an option for the irons?
Yep yep.

Just got back from my first round with the XR 5 hybrid and man is that thing stupid easy to hit....High and long with a baby draw! If this keeps up I might have to buy the 6 too!

Oh these hybrids.

211 middle, into the wind, hit a freaking TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWERING 5h to 14 feet on the Par 5, best part? Ball was 2 feet from divot, that made me giddy.

Oh these hybrids.

211 middle, into the wind, hit a freaking TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWERING 5h to 14 feet on the Par 5, best part? Ball was 2 feet from divot, that made me giddy.

Ugh. I wish I could hit a hybrid. That just looks amazing in my mind lol

Ugh. I wish I could hit a hybrid. That just looks amazing in my mind lol

I battled it for YEARS dude. I had to play long irons bc I just couldn't hit a damn hybo. Something clicked last year with the Bio's though and its carried over. So so so so so so so insanely happy with these.

I battled it for YEARS dude. I had to play long irons bc I just couldn't hit a damn hybo. Something clicked last year with the Bio's though and its carried over. So so so so so so so insanely happy with these.

I can hit them decently from fairways and usually get a repeatable ball flight that I don't hate but off the tee is where I struggle with them and that's when I would use it most often

I can hit them decently from fairways and usually get a repeatable ball flight that I don't hate but off the tee is where I struggle with them and that's when I would use it most often

I've got to FORCE myself to tee it super low off the teebox, I have a tendency to tee it up too high and then pay dearly.

I've got to FORCE myself to tee it super low off the teebox, I have a tendency to tee it up too high and then pay dearly.

I know how much you loved the bio cell hybrids. With seeing how you rave about these, maybe I should try to get my hands on one. Or two

Hey Jman, do the XR hybrids have a .370 tip?

Yep, standard hybo tip diameter w/ these. None of that funky ass Nike .335 stuff hahahaha

Thanks, I'm 99% sure I'm pulling the trigger on an XR 5 hybo (and wouldn't be surprised if I went with a 6 as well). I just wanted to check because I still have my Miyazaki C. Kua hybo shafts that I love. Figured as long as these had the same .370 tip I can now just find the best deal and not worry about finding one in stiff flex.

Thanks, I'm 99% sure I'm pulling the trigger on an XR 5 hybo (and wouldn't be surprised if I went with a 6 as well). I just wanted to check because I still have my Miyazaki C. Kua hybo shafts that I love. Figured as long as these had the same .370 tip I can now just find the best deal and not worry about finding one in stiff flex.

I can dig it, those would install a-ok in these heads.

Has anyone hit both the xr 7 wood and the 4 hybrid and comment on distance? I have the xr 4 wood and it is so fantastic have the 7 wood coming. The 7 wood is 21 deg and the 4H is 22 degrees. For those that have hit both are distances similiar or does the 7 still go a good distance further due to the longer shaft and 1 degree less loft? I am coming from Titleist hybrids which has the 4H at 24 degree so was surprised that the 4H in the XR was just 22 deg. Trying to figure out if I should go 4W/7W/4H or 4W/7W/5H.
Darin

I have the 4h and have tested the 7w a few times. I get very similar carries with my swing. Basically 195-205 yards. I get better results from the 4h with poor ball contact. Misses are completely different. Left with the 4h. Right with the 7w.

Thanks for that info. I have the 7W and 4H coming from Callaway preowned (By the way the XR series just showed up there a day or two ago). I may need to get the 5H instead to have better gapping between distance from the 7W (might be too close in distance). Definitely need to do some experimenting choking up and 3/4 swings with it to see if it will work. Thanks again.

Oh my little 5hy and iRoD, how I love you. Why?

12 degrees launch, 143 ball speed, 28 yards peak height.

Love. LOOOOOOOOVE. Towering, distant, love.

I'm not a genius but is 12* not extremely low launch for a 5 hybrid?

I'm not a genius but is 12* not extremely low launch for a 5 hybrid?

Not for the peak height I'm getting, its a really great flight for me. As a comparison, trackman averages so many look at is in the 10/11 degree range for this spot, plus, you have to remember it spins more and that lets it get up to peak.

Plus, it was with range balls, so the numbers skew a bit. Too crowded today to take out on the course and measure w/ non-range balls, and I'm not donating **** to the range.

Not for the peak height I'm getting, its a really great flight for me. As a comparison, trackman averages so many look at is in the 10 degree range for this spot, plus, you have to remember it spins more and that lets it get up to peak.

Interesting. I had no idea what was normal other than driver so comparison was based on that.

Bring that nifty device down in a few weeks good sir.

Back