Can you remember the first club(s) you bought?

52c5ea806cd516544bc9ab446897a26e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First club I ever bought at an actual golf store was the Cleveland Launcher Comp driver. Still have 2 of those heads laying around somewhere.

First set of irons was Cleveland CG7 Black Pearl

First set was the Spaulding Executive’s irons and woods, followed by Wilson Staff Midsize, and then my first real set with the Mizuno Pro II irons. Pretty much all Mizuno since.

The first clubs I paid for myself was a set of used Ping Karsten 1s I bought used from a local club pro when I was 13 with my paper route money. I played those clubs until I was 26 or 27 years old.

Callaway Rogue driver off CPO.

Northwestern KMart specials. Bought a set for me and a set for MrsOG.

GolfSmith was going out of business. They had 2 box sets of ladies clubs the same price. One was Tour Edge with a blue bag. I don't remember the what the other set was but it had a purple bag. I asked the so salesman what the difference between the 2 sets was. His response was that one is blue and this one is purple. I bought the blue. No wonder they went out of business.

I was 14, in 1996, Ben Hogan Edge irons! Been a Hogan guy ever since.

I remember this well. I never played golf before and frankly thought it was boring compared to all other sports when I was younger. However, I moved to Dallas Tx back in 1995 when the company I worked for offered me a promotion. Working with many older individuals, they said I needed to learn to play golf. One of my co-workers took me over to Play it Again Sports and I purchased my first set. The Ping Eye 2 irons and a set of Callaway fairway woods. No driver.

Kinda wish I still had that set of irons today.

It was a few year old set of original Titleist DCI Black irons from a garage sale. Looking back that was a pretty good deal and set to start with.

Wilson Staff blades (2-PW) in 1972 from the pro shop at my neighborhood course. First purchase I made when I started working. I didn't hit fairway woods that well back then, but learned how to stripe that 2i. Played them for almost 20 years.

Did clubs last longer back in the day, like other things that seemed to be built to last back then?

Oh, wow many eons ago.... my first set of clubs were a used set of Ping Eye 2's. Lasted a few years and then bought my first set of new clubs - Wilson Fat Shaft. I just gave them to my son. They're older than him!!

Yup. It was a set of Hippo’s. Then my first post finding THP real set was Nickent 3RX Pro irons, Adams A3 hybrid, Wilson wedges, a Never Compromise putter, and the Nickent 3DX Square driver.

First driver was a brand new 2007 TM Burner 10.5* off Rock Bottom Golf, irons were Top Flite Tours, putter had to have been a brand new Odyssey White Hot Tour #9 off RBG as well. Such a simpler time!

Yeah I can remember that first set. I was totally, 100% ignorant of the golf game, and clubs in general.

I needed a set of clubs to play with some friends on an invite. I hit the local swap meet (Broad Acres) in search of a set of clubs.

Found a set of irons, a putter, and 3 wooden woods in a bag, attached to a gawd awful looking, chrome plated, pot metal 2 wheel trolley. A packaged deal.

The guy wanted $20 for everything. I offered him $10. We agreed on $15.

At the time I thought I got a great deal. The irons had Sam Snead's name stamped on them, and the rust was minimal. I figured I could grind the dents out of the putter head. The loose strings on the 5W I could just tie off, and trim. The grips I could re-tape with electrical tape. One of the zippered compartments even had a bunch of golf balls and tees in it. What could better than all this? I was ready to go. Jack, and Lee look out

The trolley? I don't remember what happened to that. I may have just left in the parking lot of the golf course.

The up side was I didn't finish last in my group of friends that day, and I didn't run out of balls. I also learned what that little fork looking thing was for.

I really do miss the mid 1970s, early 1980s.

First set of clubs I had at 12 yr old were Kenneth Smith ladies. My only claim to fame was my only hole in one in 1976.

I played those until I was 26 yr and living in Houston in 1981 - then I bought some "First Flight" clubs - not persimmon, but wooden. Blades -lol.

Didn't buy or play much until 1995 and became a shameful club ho.

The first clubs I ever bought with my own money (aided by a gift card won by my dad) was a set of Fila (!) woods. Driver, 3, and 5, with titanium heads. I got them all for $200 total. Looked a lot like this:

s-l400.jpg

Yeah I can remember that first set. I was totally, 100% ignorant of the golf game, and clubs in general.

I needed a set of clubs to play with some friends on an invite. I hit the local swap meet (Broad Acres) in search of a set of clubs.

Broadacres! I work down the street from there. Sadly, I've never been. I've been to Fantastik! though.

Last edited:
not my first set, but most memorable was a set of DCI Blacks with Rifle Shafts I purchased direct from Acushnet when I worked there. I really regret having sold them.

My first gold purchase was a full set (bag included) of Pine Meadow Bloc clubs I got from Academy for $189. They were absolute garbage.

Back