Childhood Cafeteria Food

That sloppy joe tray does not look appetizing. I always went for mashed potatoes or pizza

Grade school in the '70s, it was 1) rectangular pizza day, and 2) chili with a peanut butter sammich. Loved those days. (In our mid-50s now, Wife and I still eat a peanut butter sammich when we make chili.)

Junior high in the late '70s, I had a cheeseburger, fries, and a chocolate milkshake every day ... except the days they had the rectangular pizza.

High school in the early '80s, we had an open campus. I ate at McDonald's every day for the first three years, then, due to an incident from the previous summer, ate at Burger King all senior year. The only time I ever ate in the high school cafeteria was during sports awards banquets.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of "Mexican pizza". We only had the rectangle 'pizza' with pools of grease on top.

Hamburger steak was good. But my favorite in HS was probably the "beef" tips over rice. And the yeast rolls. OMG.

Mmm Salisbury steak. Thanks for the reminder! It’s time for the annual see if Dr PretendPsychic still hates Salisbury steak. We’re going on ten years and she refuses to yield to the deliciousness!

Rarely ate cafeteria lunches. My mom used to make the best school lunches. Toasted peanut butter sandwiches, chicken salad with chopped nuts and grapes, and homemade chicken soup in the winter. Almost always included homemade cookie or brownies.

Toss up between the square pizza and the chili with a PB&J.

When I went to elementary school and middle school two things still existed. Corporal punishment. I remember being spanked.. could you imagine that today??!!

mans the cafeteria actually cooked food. I remember eating Salisbury steak and littler cartoons of milk. I loved that and a shredded roast beef thing with brown gravy once a week..

When I went to elementary school and middle school two things still existed. Corporal punishment. I remember being spanked.. could you imagine that today??!!
Spanking was for little kids, us big trouble making kids got swats, with the big paddle with the holes drilled in it! Those swats made a lot of noise, but that was about it, they could have learned a thing or two from my Mom on making them more punitive. :laughing:

Spanking was for little kids, us big trouble making kids got swats, with the big paddle with the holes drilled in it! Those swats made a lot of noise, but that was about it, they could have learned a thing or two from my Mom on making them more punitive. :laughing:

It was about intimidation. Pain was secondary.

Ohhhhhhhh man chicken fried steak day was the best, extra chicken fried steaks were .50/ea and before you knew it you were piled up high and ready for a nap after then off to the course for golf practice b

We had Pizza Burgers in one of my elementary schools. And not a processed thing. Our lunch lady made these by hand.

Taco Salad day was great in middle school!

My favorite back in those days was...

Beans and Franks
Buttered Corn
Corn Bread with honey butter
Apple Crisp

That was a lunch tray I loved !

This is gonna sound dumb, but I'm pretty sure Salad Bar days were the biggest hit at my school. Mostly because you could load up on bacon bits, cottage cheese and Ranch dressing.

I remember Stromboli being pretty great too.

The breakfast pizza was always a favorite. Gravy for the sauce along with sausage & cheese.

I lived a block from school and walked home for lunch. Yep, I'm weird for a lot of reasons... :unsure:"Home lunched?" :ROFLMAO:
In elementary and middle school?

Grade school in the 60's, so square pizza, chicken fried steak, turkey ala king, chili w/ peanut butter bread were my favorites.

For me is was the rectangle pizza for lunch or the chicken fried stake.

every Friday morning breakfast were the sausage and egg sandwiches and I would eat a couple.

Man, I'm almost 50 and I can't seem to remember much about school lunch. Maybe it was so bad I've repressed the memories:oops:. I remember the cartons of milk from elementary school and trying to be first in line to get the chocolate.

But the rest is all fuzzy. And better left to the mists of time for me.:ROFLMAO:

In elementary and middle school?
Through college. And when I entered the work force. :p
Just through 4th grade, then we moved. Diabetic kid. Went home for lunch and meds/sugar levels. Just worked out that way. (y)

Oh, in high school I loved to get an order of fries and a frosty malt and dip the fries in the malt. Yummmmm...

Our "Mexican pizza" looked just like that, but we called it a fiestada. And it was awesome.

Haystacks were another one of my favorites. Basically a taco salad with fritos if I'm remembering correctly.

Back