Cleveland CBX 2 Wedges

I’ve now played a few rounds with my 54 deg. I had it lengthen 1/2 and bent up 3 with the Dynamic Gold 115 wedge shaft. It matches quite well with my G410s. (AWT 2.0 S).

I hit 110-100 with my Ping U wedge. The 54 CBX2 is perfectly gapped in the 80 range I was looking for and it confidently grabs the green.

Out of the bunkers I’ve hit a few really nice shots. The bounce really lets me open up the face and blast behind the ball to get it to pop up high and float to the green.

Really happy with this club.

Excellent, they’re pretty much my numbers. I’m looking for about 85y from this club, have ordered one with a graphite shaft as my Pings are graphite.

I hope the Cleveland/srixon rep has these when he does a demo day next Thursday at my favorite range in Charlotte. Between his two product lines he has some serious stuff.

Hey Cam!

Man, that’s a toughy. Haha

The data out there clearly shows the Hydropearl for PING does a heck of a job in wet conditions, sadly I don’t have any Glide 3.0 experience yet.

I have played the CBX 2 in both heavy few and rain though during my review and it performed as one would expect with water on the face. Not bad at all, but if something is being left on the table there I can’t say.

I think if one plays in wet conditions most of the time then it’s something worth looking into more. Also, seems to me it’s something we could start seeing more and more companies try/apply somehow.

A lot of words and not a real definitive answer I know but it’s all I’ve got.

I still appreciate the response James. I was kinda hoping you’d already hit the glide3’s for a comparison?

I always find it interesting to see other people’s opinions on such things. The best way to try I guess is to hopefully get a CBX2 and various others at a demo day.

Purchased this morning and took them straight to the range after. All I can say is wow. I’m not the best ball striker, but somehow these fly no matter how terrible I am swinging them. I hit some chonk shots with the 56 and it still flew nice and high a bit short by about 7-8 yards than normal. Had that been my 588 RTX I’m not real sure where it would have went. Sent a couple shots off the toe...felt terrible but the ball still went up and just a tad right of the target. The 50 is just what I’m looking for in a gap wedge. Nice high straightedges ball flight from a nice and easy swing. Very consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel like the 50 degree is the weak spot in my wedge game, this post makes me want to pick a cbx2 up to plug in.
It was neat just watching it go up and then just drop between 90 and 100 yards. I have never been comfortable at that 100 yard mark, but this should help. I attempted to step on the 50 and it felt and looked funky in the air but still landed pretty decently all things considered at between 110-115 yards(just a guess).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:unsure:

Excellent, they’re pretty much my numbers. I’m looking for about 85y from this club, have ordered one with a graphite shaft as my Pings are graphite.

I’m sure you’ll be happy you got one.

Kinda fun.

(Note: I need to turn the ferrules some more)

0DE7A416-C16B-4F3D-A393-45CFB9A2F01A.jpeg

B0D60606-8234-46C3-A350-631505DB6B12.jpeg

My 60 didn’t get to my house before I left on vacation. It will be like Christmas when I get home later today.

I ordered the 50* CBX2 customized to match my iron specs about a month ago. It showed up on Tuesday, but I wasn't able to get any swings in with it before putting it straight into play in a member/member tournament the last couple of days. It's 2* weaker and a little longer shafted than the set GW it's replacing from my old irons. I hoped it would go the same distance, which is 115 on full swings. First time I pulled it I was 116 out and stuck my approach 4' from the pin. Very next hole I was 114 out - same club same result. I also hit it out of a fairway bunker with a very steep lip - perfect up and out into the fairway just short of the green. Since it has the same shafts as my irons I tested it by really stepping on one that was 127 yards with a slight breeze helping. The ball actually carried 129, which was farther than I thought it would. I'm very happy with the wedge - it seems very versatile and met/exceeded expectations from the first swing. This is my first Cleveland wedge, but I don't think it'll be my last if the performance keeps up.

I got to play nine after work and was able to use my 60 on 2 holes. I am liking the early results from around the greens. I didn’t have the right distance for a full shot with it.

I've got three rounds on the 48/54/60 setup now and.....

Not sure there is anything out there quite like these. At address, the look is rock solid for wedges of this design, and I stand by all my thoughts in the homepage review for sure.

The 60 is taking some acclimatization because its quite long for me. Around the greens though its been way more versatile than I expected/hoped, the C-grind is just aggressive enough that it gives a really solid margin of versatility.

I received my 56° with a KBS Hi- REV Reg Flex shaft on Friday and put it in to play on Saturday.
First thing I noticed, It's heavier that other wedges that I've played. It's something I will have to get used to for sure.
Performance was what I expect and maybe a little more.
Seemed like the ball jumped off the face and overshot some of my landing points.
Had some issues getting through some really thick rough and I think that's more about me adjusting to the weight.

Looking forward to the rest of the season with it to see what it can do.

Picked up a cbx2 54 two weeks ago and had also order a 58 which wasn't in stock. placed order Sept 10 and still waiting. Looks like Cleveland is backed up, not sure how or why.
Anyhow the 54 looks and feels good at address but still hasn't eliminated my miss hits (thin shots), but i guess thats on me. Thought it would help, at least thats what the commercial promoted. :sneaky:

Look what the cat dragged in.

60ECC849-44B9-4267-B64A-587D56934D36.jpeg

Picked up a cbx2 54 two weeks ago and had also order a 58 which wasn't in stock. placed order Sept 10 and still waiting. Looks like Cleveland is backed up, not sure how or why.
Anyhow the 54 looks and feels good at address but still hasn't eliminated my miss hits (thin shots), but i guess thats on me. Thought it would help, at least thats what the commercial promoted. :sneaky:
Demand overtook supply from what I’ve been told. Particularly in the 54/58 lofts. It took my 54 forever to come in.

Demand overtook supply from what I’ve been told. Particularly in the 54/58 lofts. It took my 54 forever to come in.
Called Cleveland customer support, and yup thats exactly what it is..guess the club is hot!. Guy said it will ship out Sept 27th, so expect in hand Oct 2ish. almost a whole month, for one stock club. Could of gotten 10 things shipped from Amazon from China in that span

Called Cleveland customer support, and yup thats exactly what it is..guess the club is hot!. Guy said it will ship out Sept 27th, so expect in hand Oct 2ish. almost a whole month, for one stock club. Could of gotten 10 things shipped from Amazon from China in that span
Yeah, our course just recently went heavy in on Cleveland Srixon (they're SO good to work with) and thats what the rep said, its just been WAY more demand than anticipated, particularly in those non 52/56/60 lofts.

even though i have the cbx2 54 and soon to have the 58, would love to see a comparison review on these two. Jaws is a good looking wedge also.

They’re very different wedges and for me they are for completely different roles, so I’ll find it hard to make a comparison.

For your info, I’d not ever consider a CBX 2 in a higher lofted wedge, but for what I use it for, and going on the three shots I hit with it today, it’ll work rather nicely.

I say three shots, but I had a couple of practice shots too as I wasn’t scoring. My yardage is about 95 from a full shot, which is exactly what I wanted as my UW is typically 105. The role of this wedge will be anything from 95y out which will be mostly pitches from about 40y to the 95y with the odd bump and run - I typically use my 8/9/PW/UW for bump and run depending on the ground in front of my ball and distance the the green. I got a graphite shaft in the CBX 2 as that what I use in my irons. To say it feels better than the RTX 4 in this role, for me, would be a massive understatement. I’m very pleased with how it played today, very solid, yet light and forgiving. I don’t think distance control will be an issue, I’ll get it dialled in very quickly. From the shots I hit, albeit on wet greens it’s a flag targeting club, little roll even on pitches, which is great. I actually found the RTX 4 really difficult to get comfortable with, felt really clumpy and hard, this feels smooth and pleasant.

The Jaws is a replacement for two wedges, my 58X and 64S MD4s, mainly to give me space in my bag for a longer club, a 5W. In addition I wanted to be able to go for the flag in the air with it from close it, and have the ability to open it up when necessary as I’ll miss that aspect from my 64. (I may still carry the 64 when the greens are rock hard in summer, but I’ll decide that next year as and when necessary). The other reason why I got this particular grind, a W Low 60/08 was because I like a wide sole as it digs less, but too much bounce is a pain in some of the bunkers at my course, in which there is a dearth of sand (which I may add I’ve complained about several times). What I saw today was that this’ll work better then my 58X for that, it allows me to take a very small amount of sand under the ball, but...it also allows me to do quite a hard swing from close-in and bunkers so I don’t have to worry as much about deceleration and duffs. I was actually hitting it a little short on the handful of shots I had today, which I’m taking as a good thing. I haven’t had a chance to try it open yet either but looking at the grind it sits close to the ground when open which is perfect - I love a lob shot and am quite good at it, probably the shot I enjoy doing well the most in golf. There’s nothing like banging it 50 feet in the air over a bunker from 20y and seeing it drop pin high and stop. I’m pretty sure a CBX 2 would not be able to do what I want it to in these instances.

So, to summarise, I’ve got a high bounce CBX2 and a low bounce MD5, to my mind that gives me a lot more flexibility. The other bonus for me is that I really get on with Callaway wedges, I’ve had the MD3, MD4 and now this, all of which I’ve preferred to various other clueing Glide 2.0, SM6, G410 SW, CBX, RTX4, they’re lighter feeling that all of those, which gives me confidence to go for it rather than duff. I’m a big fan.

The 60* is a winner. Very versatile around the greens and I seem to hit full shots further than my 58* Rtx 4. Very cool club. I did put the Hi Rev 2.0 shaft in it so it is a little heavier. I am sticking with the RTX 4’s in the 50 & 54 because they are so consistent for their distances and so easy to hit.

I used the CBX 2 for about 10 shots today, not one was poor. This is a pin finder. Mega impressed.

I used the CBX 2 for about 10 shots today, not one was poor. This is a pin finder. Mega impressed.
Man, I had a DAY with the 48 yesterday. Though I'm not sold on the 60, the 48 is making its mark.

Man, I had a DAY with the 48 yesterday. Though I'm not sold on the 60, the 48 is making its mark.
Every single shot within 10” today I’d say, a handful significantly closer. Not only that it feels so nice. Must be the graphite shaft.

Soooo I really like my 50* CBX2. I got another round in yesterday and used it 6-7 times. Full normal swings, Full hard swings (in between clubs - with wind), greenside chip, and two low shots into the green from 75 yds that I had to keep under a tree and spin high to stop. The spin this creates is crazy - both of the low shots under the trees came in hot, landed on the green, and stopped within 10' of where they landed. I didn't think there was any way either would stay on the green given the shot I had to hit to stay under the trees. To say I'm happy with my decision to put this in my GW spot is an understatement. I'll be looking at different lofts of these when I need other wedge replacements.

Soooo I really like my 50* CBX2. I got another round in yesterday and used it 6-7 times. Full normal swings, Full hard swings (in between clubs - with wind), greenside chip, and two low shots into the green from 75 yds that I had to keep under a tree and spin high to stop. The spin this creates is crazy - both of the low shots under the trees came in hot, landed on the green, and stopped within 10' of where they landed. I didn't think there was any way either would stay on the green given the shot I had to hit to stay under the trees. To say I'm happy with my decision to put this in my GW spot is an understatement. I'll be looking at different lofts of these when I need other wedge replacements.

My thoughts exactly. Will be putting in the 50 & 56 next year. I actually love the 60 and hit 4 shots with it last night. Up & downed 3 of the 4. I love it.

Back