Cleveland CBX Wedges

I hit this next to the set A wedges in both the 565 and 765 irons and forgiveness and performance improvement was there for my #internetgolfer swing - i would do 46/50/54/58 and it would be GLORIOUS go 6-9 in go 6/7 565 and 8/9 765

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is one heck of a mixed set.

3) I'm not a big fan on their tag line for these about 84% of players play CB's so why are they playing unforgiving bladed wedges, imo (and my opinion alone) they need to be careful there with that wording to not come off as derogatory toward their bladed wedges. I'm positive I'll get vehemently disagreed with here by someone, but, it's my take.

I'd love to get one in hand to work with though, especially since reviewing the RTX3 CB for THP and gaming the MB since.

It's weird, why trash your own product to sell your own product? I can imagine that they're taking a shot at the other OEMs that don't have the variety that Cleveland does, but still...

I can easily see myself picking up a 52 and possibly bending it to 51 or 50

After getting to read a bit more about them, I also see the benefits over the set wedges, especially the set SW and LW with the Rotex face since most set wedges don't have the level of face milling, grooves or even sole design the standard wedges have. This essentially does bridge that gap.

Now to work in getting the 54 in my bag to transition from my current AW and my 58 RTX 3 CB. I could even see adding the 58 once I see how the 54 works.

The rotex face woid be the reason why I would switch. I use the XR SW for full swings but hate the lack of spin that I missing from a traditional wedge. But the traditional wedge isn't nearly as for giving as the set SW so even though they are 55 SW and 56 MD wedge I carry both.

It's weird, why trash your own product to sell your own product? I can imagine that they're taking a shot at the other OEMs that don't have the variety that Cleveland does, but still...

I can easily see myself picking up a 52 and possibly bending it to 51 or 50
I definitely wouldn't call it trashing. I simply think, again my opinion alone, that they sort of crossed themselves up a touch in the wording unintentionally. Though I do realize the majority will notice that.

So, after going and checking out Clevelands site I have some more thoughts.

1) I love the idea for a GW for me.

2) They did a great job of hiding mass. That topline bevel is brilliant.

3) I'm not a big fan on their tag line for these about 84% of players play CB's so why are they playing unforgiving bladed wedges, imo (and my opinion alone) they need to be careful there with that wording to not come off as derogatory toward their bladed wedges. I'm positive I'll get vehemently disagreed with here by someone, but, it's my take.

I'd love to get one in hand to work with though, especially since reviewing the RTX3 CB for THP and gaming the MB since.

I don't see it that way as a slam against their blades. It is simply pointing out to people that bladed wedges probably aren't best for your game and we now have a product that will work better for you that nobody else has.

Virtually every other wedge out there is really for the better player and now companies are starting to make products for players like me. Outside of this option and the Smart Sole the only other company that I can think of in this ballpark is the Callaway Sure Out. For both the smart sole and the sure out, players have to give up the look of the club for performance.

If Cleveland ends up being successful with this I could see every other OEM entering this market.

I don't see it that way as a slam against their blades. It is simply pointing out to people that bladed wedges probably aren't best for your game and we now have a product that will work better for you that nobody else has.

Virtually every other wedge out there is really for the better player and now companies are starting to make products for players like me. Outside of this option and the Smart Sole the only other company that I can think of in this ballpark is the Callaway Sure Out. For both the smart sole and the sure out, players have to give up the look of the club for performance.

If Cleveland ends up being successful with this I could see every other OEM entering this market.

FWIW, these aren't the first time we have seen a CB wedge with this kind of story (the whole vs the blade thing), but there is definitely a LOT more thought/tech in these which I love seeing. I'm simply pointing out my take on how it reads to me, but, I'm also not the average consumer I know, I look for things like that in all releases. Love me some release info, some do it better than others, and Cleveland always does it really well.

I agree with you here. Similar to how Callaway oversized sand wedge or PM grind talks about options not in regular wedges. Or how Ping talked about the perfect roll with one of their putter lines, did not really say their other putters were not up to par.

I agree on the last point, although I honestly think this takes several years to take hold, especially how the top sellers of wedges have all had releases in the last 12 months.

Last edited:
Great video and interesting stuff here. It looks like a pretty clever design that should appeal to a lot of golfers.

Hmmm...this video has me thinking really hard about replacing the chipper in my bag now with one of these. I don't rely on the chipper nearly as much as I did early in the year so maybe one of these will fit the bill. GI to help hacks like me in an area that most folks struggle, sounds like a good idea to me.

The rotex face woid be the reason why I would switch. I use the XR SW for full swings but hate the lack of spin that I missing from a traditional wedge. But the traditional wedge isn't nearly as for giving as the set SW so even though they are 55 SW and 56 MD wedge I carry both.

Yeah, I stared thinking about that exact thing over the weekend. I got in my first 2 rounds with my Big Bertha OS irons and I love the AW for it so far because it was very consistent and forgiving. I started thinking about just adding on the matching SW that Callaway makes but was wondering what I would give up if I did. The Rotex face is the answer. On top of it, the announcement of this wedge today seems to have pretty much answered my questions and gave me a solution.

I think the only remaining question is if I get the same Recoil 760 shaft to match or just get the stock rotex graphite shaft that Cleveland offers that is actually made by UST Mamiya.

I like the idea of these wedges, but I don't see a huge difference in this versus the RTX-3 CB. I am currently using the RTX-3 now and I like them for most shots, except for full swing shots. If these are better than those for full swings I am intrigued.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I agree on the last point, although I honestly think this takes several years to take hold, especially how the top sellers of wedges have all had releases in the last 12 months.

Yeah, I'd expect it could take a few years for others to catch up. I'd think potentially a year to judge impact and sales on the market plus another couple of years to develop their own if they aren't already working on it.

Cleveland CBX Wedges

I like the idea of these wedges, but I don't see a huge difference in this versus the RTX-3 CB. I am currently using the RTX-3 now and I like them for most shots, except for full swing shots. If these are better than those for full swings I am intrigued.

It would be like the difference between hitting a Callaway Apex CF16 and Wilson Staff FG tour V6.

Just randomly picking two irons based on size.

Both more forgiving than muscle backs, but still different.

BTW, minus JB the last few posters in this topic all live in the Columbus area. I vote for Cleveland to make Columbus members the test market for these wedges. :D

It would be like the difference between hitting a Callaway Apex CF16 and Wilson Staff FG tour V6.

Just randomly picking two irons based on size.

Both more forgiving than muscle backs, but still different.
So if someone is used to hitting a blade style wedge, would these have more "spring" off the face that would cause a flier shot?

So if someone is used to hitting a blade style wedge, would these have more "spring" off the face that would cause a flier shot?

That's not really how flyers come about, so in my opinion no sir. Most come from a dynamic shift in spin, so that would not be the case here.

That's not really how flyers come about, so in my opinion no sir. Most come from a dynamic shift in spin, so that would not be the case here.
Thanks for the info

Man I cannot wait to check these out, I've had my current Cleveland wedges a few years and was just starting to think about upgrading, what perfect timing!

These look so promising I wonder how these will play on flop shots tho with the wide sole

The V sole might make it easier to transition from my defunct V sole Scor wedges.

Hmmm...this video has me thinking really hard about replacing the chipper in my bag now with one of these. I don't rely on the chipper nearly as much as I did early in the year so maybe one of these will fit the bill. GI to help hacks like me in an area that most folks struggle, sounds like a good idea to me.
Same. I pulled the chipper because it was more a crutch. It worked, no doubt, but focus and practice proved similar results for my PMP 55.

This though, this club has the options of full swing and short game all in one package.

Cleveland CBX Wedges

I've spent some time on the Cleveland site, and can definitely see me looking at this wedge as a replacement for my AW (but again the Apex set AW is so good) and possibly my 54. The reason that I got my RTX-3 54 in a 3 Dot is because I tend to take a lot of full swings with my 54. I'm definitely interested. The fact that they don't offer in the Black Satin is a miss in my opinion. The Black Satin is holding up so well on the RTX-3s, it's actually surprising.

I still think just putting this in as my 55 &60 would be about perfect. Suffered the same toe side miss tonight, a little extra forgiveness coulda turned them 8ft par putts into 4-5ft par putts ;) I just convered my all Cleveland bag into an all Cobra bag, but these wedges may have me going back in that department at least.

Great video - I like the background into the tech in the wedges.

I was able to hit these Saturday and they are awesome - I hit the 56 and it was sooo good it was like a hybrid of the RTX 3 and MD3 wedge and it felt great in hand. It had a ton of versatility with shots - i tried many that I use on course. I really wish I could have practiced from deep rough, I bet the rep would have let me so that is definitely a missed opportunity - but from my short time
i think Cleveland has another winning wedge

115 DG Shaft is fantastic!

Really looking forward to seeing what Shootout guys will say once they hit'em. What sorts of practice shots did you hit? What type of bounce did the wedge have?

Back