Cleveland CBX4 Wedges Review

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The average golfer’s proclivity towards blade wedges has always been a curiosity. While maximum forgiveness has crept into every other type of club, and seeking that forgiveness has become commonplace, it’s not uncommon to see 20% of a typical amateur’s bag occupied with blade wedges. Not only do they lack the same perimeter weighting utilized from driver to putter, but they often possess soles that punish anything other than perfect contact. We could spend hours pontificating on the reason for this, but golfers are a finicky bunch and it’s hard to nail down solid rationale.

Continue reading...

A wedge that is best suited for almost everyone.

Great writeup @Hawk ! Love that they continue to evolve this line in their wedges. This is a fantastic looking wedge/club. Also love they have the C Grind. Love me some C grind. Haven’t had a Cleveland wedge in my bag since mid 2018, but they are always up there in most peoples options for wedges I see out on the course. I know a lot love them.

@Hawk yes! This is the one I was waiting for. Thank you

I’ve been waiting on this one. Time to refresh my CBX Wedges. The last generation were very good, these sound better. Thanks for the article.

@Hawk this is a great write up! These wedges actually look REALLY good for not being a blade wedge.

I think many times people see some of the “non blade” wedges and they stay away from them because they are so chunky looking. I asked a friend once why he wouldn’t use them and he was afraid he’d blade the ball with a non blade wedge and the non bladed wedges had no spin. We both know that is pretty far from the truth.

The C & V grind intrigue me quite a bit along with all the tech in here to get the ball to go to its intended target line and stop with some spin!

So clean… thanks for the article!

Did they modify the grinds at all compare to the last iteration?

Impressive the large size wasn’t a turnoff for the tight lies around Briggs

While at Briggs for the Srixon event THPers got a chance to play these months before release. I came away impressed. At setup they look so darn traditional and the overall package is really well done. Definitely considering this in my 50 degree spot.

• Staff
So clean… thanks for the article!

Did they modify the grinds at all compare to the last iteration?

Impressive the large size wasn’t a turnoff for the tight lies around Briggs
I believe they may have altered the leading edge bounce a bit.

I can’t speak for everyone of course, but they played so well at Briggs I haven’t taken the 50/54/58 out of my bag.

Nice write up @Hawk Love that you guys got to try these out at Briggs Ranch, love seeing more forgiveness staying in wedges as an option and being worked to be even better, and not just as an afterthought. These look really nice.

Great writeup @Hawk ! So much good information on a wedge that will surprise a lot of people if they give it a chance.

Awesome information @Hawk! I’ve been a big fan and user of the CBX line up before. This looks like a logical progression in the evolution of the club. More golfers should use this type of wedge honestly. Any word on a full face CBX4?

Awesome information @Hawk! I’ve been a big fan and user of the CBX line up before. This looks like a logical progression in the evolution of the club. More golfers should use this type of wedge honestly. Any word on a full face CBX4?
Based on the past, I am going to assume that’s a next year thing.

One I’ve been waiting patiently for! Well done Hawk!

I can’t get over how premium they look this time, it’s absolutely stunning how far they’ve evolved them. But HydraZip…WOW.

I have zero need for new wedges but have been so curious about this line….

Nice piece again @Hawk .

I loved the Smartsole when I had it so I have a bit of affection for Cleveland wedges. These will get a big look when it's time to replace my current Mizunos.

One I’ve been waiting patiently for! Well done Hawk!

I can’t get over how premium they look this time, it’s absolutely stunning how far they’ve evolved them. But HydraZip…WOW.
That kind of spin with a QST and a wedge with water literally poured on it. Pretty amazing imo.

That kind of spin with a QST and a wedge with water literally poured on it. Pretty amazing imo.
It’s shocking if I’m being honest. In the best way.

Those that have experience talk to me about the grinds and how they compare to your gamers

Woohoo we can finally talk about them! I was lucky enough to be at Briggs Ranch for the 2023 Srixon Experience. I was able to play the CBX4 alongside my CBX Fullface 2. While I was impressed with the Fullface 2 I was amazed at the spin and stopping power with the CBX4! From Briggs Ranch in November to the Chicago area course I was able to play in the cold in December the CBX4 was a stopping machine! For me a 52 degree is an 80-90 yard club and I was always impressed with its action once it landed on the green (as good if not slightly better 52degree fullface). Also used it to chip around the green and never had a problem with chunking in either San Antonio or the cold muck of Chicago.

Woohoo we can finally talk about them! I was lucky enough to be at Briggs Ranch for the 2023 Srixon Experience. I was able to play the CBX4 alongside my CBX Fullface 2. While I was impressed with the Fullface 2 I was amazed at the spin and stopping power with the CBX4! From Briggs Ranch in November to the Chicago area course I was able to play in the cold in December the CBX4 was a stopping machine! For me a 52 degree is an 80-90 yard club and I was always impressed with its action once it landed on the green (as good if not slightly better 52degree fullface). Also used it to chip around the green and never had a problem with chunking in either San Antonio or the cold muck of Chicago.
Thanks for the comparison of the full face 2. I was considering that for my 58 but I’m just going to keep that aCBX 4 as well.

Thanks for the comparison of the full face 2. I was considering that for my 58 but I’m just going to keep that aCBX 4 as well.
I am happy with my FullFace2 as well but even this 18 handicapper can see the difference with the CBX 4!

Thanks @Hawk for another great write up. I'll be the first to raise my hand and accept my ego is at play when it comes to playing a blade style wedge. I am not sure if it's comfort or "something I've always done" but I can see where at times it's costing me some strokes.

If the goal is to take the least amount of strokes and make the game easier, the CBX4 should be rocketing to the top of my list to try. I don't full swing my wedges and really play them fairly square with minimal manipulation. My 58 is 99% a greenside bunker club and usually I have my set GW/AW or 54 in my hands for everything inside of 100yds. I love the looks the CBX4 is presenting and honestly it doesn't look like a GI offering. The technology can't be denied and I will be seeking out a 54 to try and see if it can help my game.

Last edited:
I've been a fan and user of the CBX line and really like the visual updates this time around.

Fantastic review. I owned the CBX2 and the CBX Zipcores. I thought the 2's were so good that i wouldn't need the Zipcore. But left my SW at a course (ugh) and ended up buying a Zipcore. Then quickly replaced the others.

My 52* has been my short game workhorse for over 100 rounds and 200+ practice sessions. I'm telling myself she deserves to ease into retirement so I can buy a CBX4.

I have the 48*/52* and 56*. From a loft/playability perspective they flow PERFECTLY into my ZX5's. The V-sole on the 48 and 52 means they perform almost identically.

The only change I'm not sure about the is the KBS Rev 2 shaft. I've never hit a KBS shaft. I loved how the DG 115g Spinners in the Zipcore performed. You can get them as a custom item...but Cleveland usually does a great job of matching their shafts so I may just stick with it.

I look forward to taking them to Briggs Ranch for the WWGS event in April!!

Back