Cleveland CG Black CB Iron Preview

Looks good.

I got to hit the 545 and the CB Blacks side by side on the weekend for me their was no comparison the 545's were better and that's coming from a Cleveland homer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got to hit the 545 and the CB Blacks side by side on the weekend for me their was no comparison the 545's were better and that's coming from a Cleveland homer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you expand on that? What was better? The reason I ask is that I too, have hit them and found them not only different, but liked the CBs quite a bit.

Can you expand on that? What was better? The reason I ask is that I too, have hit them and found them not only different, but liked the CBs quite a bit.

Just the feel off the face of the 545's the forgivness of the 545's was great I got one a bit fat and off the toe only to see it go straight and true with little loss of distance, the weighting also felt just right. it was hard to describe they just felt great, I hit the CB's first and they were nice i was very impressed, they seemed a little longer than my MT's they actually felt similar to my MT's maybe not quite as forgiving on off centre strikes. I wouldn't get rid of my MT/TT set up to go with the CB's but I think I would for the 545's.

Had these a week and half, was warming up on the practice range yesterday and noticed a funny sound at impact. Upon inspection, there was a large hairline crack down the middle of the club face.

I'll let you know how it goes. Not too thrilled considering I played Callaways for 20+ years without ever sending a club back. Tourney this weekend that it looks like I'll get to play sans 5-Iron.

Had these a week and half, was warming up on the practice range yesterday and noticed a funny sound at impact. Upon inspection, there was a large hairline crack down the middle of the club face.

I'll let you know how it goes. Not too thrilled considering I played Callaways for 20+ years without ever sending a club back. Tourney this weekend that it looks like I'll get to play sans 5-Iron.

I'm pretty sure they will replace it, can you share a picture?

Bummer man. Things like that happen at times unfortunately.

They'll get you a new one I'm sure. Not that it helps you this weekend, but it'll get replaced.

See picture below

Last edited:
Looks like I was hitting it pure :)

Cleveland%20CB%20Black.jpg

I think the picture doesnt work

See pic below,,,sorry for the multiple posts

Last edited:
Figured I'd toss in a final update here before the review is written, mainly from the perspective of how they relate to me on a personal level since that's really irrelevant in the context of a home page review.

Very little to not be impressed by. They offer top level feel and looks, top level performance that equals anything else I've personally seen in this class of irons, higher end shaft offerings than Cleveland has offered in their GI sets in recent times, what appears to be a pretty durable finish with the two-tone sole, and some viable technology in the face construction. The GG Black line has always stood for two things in my mind - 1) performance for those in need of more speed and height and 2) Cleveland's premium product line. They've expanded on that a bit with these, by incorporating those folks that are looking for sleeker lines and aren't on the lowest end of the swing speed spectrum, all the while keeping the premium thing going. I think anybody would really be reaching to find a glaring weakness with them. In my mind, they are a no-brainer must-try if you're looking at 2015 offerings in this type of iron.

The only downside I'm seeing as a long term options is a fitting issue in that they are 3° flatter than what I've been fit for. Some time on the mats has made this more evident, as the sole shows a great deal of residue on the toe. I may get them bent down the line to remedy that.

From a personal preference angle, I tend to like a little more squared off look that Cleveland/Srixon has offered in irons like the 588 CB and Z 545, but that is a me thing and really not anything that would change my feelings on the irons. This is just me saying what I like more and that's what I like more.

I think these irons a good sign that Cleveland is still a viable and innovative company. I know there's been some discussion of where they are going with the reemergence of Srixon and their 2015 line seemingly geared towards a certain subset of golfers. Here they've illustrated pretty clearly that they have plenty to offer in the way of performance to golfers like most of us are and can deliver a modern, great looking iron.

Dang you Ryan, now you have me wanting to try these out, I have this strange feeling that I will like them.

Figured I'd toss in a final update here before the review is written, mainly from the perspective of how they relate to me on a personal level since that's really irrelevant in the context of a home page review.

Very little to not be impressed by. They offer top level feel and looks, top level performance that equals anything else I've personally seen in this class of irons, higher end shaft offerings than Cleveland has offered in their GI sets in recent times, what appears to be a pretty durable finish with the two-tone sole, and some viable technology in the face construction. The GG Black line has always stood for two things in my mind - 1) performance for those in need of more speed and height and 2) Cleveland's premium product line. They've expanded on that a bit with these, by incorporating those folks that are looking for sleeker lines and aren't on the lowest end of the swing speed spectrum, all the while keeping the premium thing going. I think anybody would really be reaching to find a glaring weakness with them. In my mind, they are a no-brainer must-try if you're looking at 2015 offerings in this type of iron.

The only downside I'm seeing as a long term options is a fitting issue in that they are 3° flatter than what I've been fit for. Some time on the mats has made this more evident, as the sole shows a great deal of residue on the toe. I may get them bent down the line to remedy that.

From a personal preference angle, I tend to like a little more squared off look that Cleveland/Srixon has offered in irons like the 588 CB and Z 545, but that is a me thing and really not anything that would change my feelings on the irons. This is just me saying what I like more and that's what I like more.

I think these irons a good sign that Cleveland is still a viable and innovative company. I know there's been some discussion of where they are going with the reemergence of Srixon and their 2015 line seemingly geared towards a certain subset of golfers. Here they've illustrated pretty clearly that they have plenty to offer in the way of performance to golfers like most of us are and can deliver a modern, great looking iron.

Only took me a day to figure out how to post a pic,,,thanks for the info JB!

0fce8ecb-180b-4a14-acf7-c1c5a76efd34_zpsuwnrv1x3.jpg

Nice thoughts Hawk. These seem to tick a lot of the boxes that people are looking for. I also really like the Nippon shaft that have in these.

That is a phenomenal little write-up there Ryan. Well done

Dang you Ryan, now you have me wanting to try these out, I have this strange feeling that I will like them.

Can't see why you wouldn't. I suppose there are people that just don't like black finishes, but other than that there isn't much not to like imo.

I love the black finish, and I just love the overall looks of this iron set. Imagine how good it would look with smoke black shafts :)

Can't see why you wouldn't. I suppose there are people that just don't like black finishes, but other than that there isn't much not to like imo.

I love the black finish, and I just love the overall looks of this iron set. Imagine how good it would look with smoke black shafts :)

My wedges are black with KBS Tour Custom black shafts. I will shed a tear the day they get worn out.

Update on broken 5 Iron: Took it back to the retailer and they had Cleveland ship me the new club directly to my house. Received it Wednesday (9 days later). While I did miss it for 6 rounds (did I just admit playing 6 times in 9 days?), I feel that is an excellent turn around. Thank you Cleveland!

swung by a demo day yesterday and hit a handful of shots with these using a recoil 680 shaft. while it was a F3 flex i had no issues with the combo. the ball launched well and compared well to the 545 i was hitting with r300.

these irons are very friendly at setup, easy to swing and even on some slightly off center hits worked out well. On shot struck on the sweet spot they performed exceptionally well. Anyone looking for a CB irons with good forgiveness and that look good. these are definitely something that shouldn't be slept on.

Hey OregonHack, do you find a local store with the current Cleveland gear in or did you custom order it?
Update on broken 5 Iron: Took it back to the retailer and they had Cleveland ship me the new club directly to my house. Received it Wednesday (9 days later). While I did miss it for 6 rounds (did I just admit playing 6 times in 9 days?), I feel that is an excellent turn around. Thank you Cleveland!

I went to a local fitter tried-out almost everything with no brand loyalty in my blood. I hit these the best, with the Ping G30 Irons being a close second. This facility is an actual driving range with the full meal deal launch monitor. I am of the opinion that you cant select clubs without seeing your actual ball flight. Launch monitors are only an additional tool, not the end-all, be-all.

I now have a full set of fitted clubs, and its quite the mixed bag, as you can see below.

Where is it at?

Reading the Nike Vapor Fly Pro review reminded me of these beauties & off to eBay I went.

Luckily for my wallet, there were only 2 sets listed & both were left handed.

Someday I will own a set.

Back