Cleveland Halo XL Hybrids and Hy-Wood Review

Well, post shaft change, I got the 3+ Hywood to 150 ball speed. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I was waiting to hear the results of the reshaft. It sounds like it was a home run!

I ordered my 3+ Hywood with a heavier shaft than the stock one. I'm hoping it's as well balanced my my 5h and something I can squeeze maybe 5 yards out more of than the prior version.

Of course the one in my bag knows she's being replaced and was absolutely money for me yesterday....

Wow. This has me thinking now.

Recommends the 3+ and 4+ Hywood, then the 5h and 6h.

I feel like that setup could be a game changer!
This is what the fitting tool put me in.

This is what the fitting tool put me in.
My only pause would be having both the 3+ and 4+. Part of me thinks I could make do with just one of them.

My only pause would be having both the 3+ and 4+. Part of me thinks I could make do with just one of them.
Similar thought for me. Realistically I don’t need the extra yards the 3+ would give me and would just hit the 4+ 99% if the time I need the extra yards

I definitely remain intrigued by the 4+.

Yes. I played the original 3+.
I know the common sentiment is that they are easier to work with than fairway woods. Did you find that to be the case? While I want to believe, fairways have hurt me before and I'm not sure I believe there's an option that might reliably fill that slot in the bag for me.

I know the common sentiment is that they are easier to work with than fairway woods. Did you find that to be the case? While I want to believe, fairways have hurt me before and I'm not sure I believe there's an option that might reliably fill that slot in the bag for me.
Yes. I found it much easier to hit than a fairway wood. I missed having it in the bag last season as I was playing an Aerojet Max 5W because of the Morgan Cup. The HyWood can be played off any lie and for me, it’s very good out of the rough. Very easy to launch the ball with the HyWood.

Yes. I found it much easier to hit than a fairway wood. I missed having it in the bag last season as I was playing an Aerojet Max 5W because of the Morgan Cup. The HyWood can be played off any lie and for me, it’s very good out of the rough. Very easy to launch the ball with the HyWood.
The fact you say that in relation to a 5w is exactly what I like to hear. 5W is pretty much the only fairway wood I'll even consider these days, and it's a very hit or miss club.

The fact you say that in relation to a 5w is exactly what I like to hear. 5W is pretty much the only fairway wood I'll even consider these days, and it's a very hit or miss club.
I understand and appreciate that. I’ll probably put the 3+ back in the bag this season.

I hit the 3+ at Club Champion with the HZRDUS Black Gen 4 80 gram 6.5 hybrid shaft. It was the MOST consistent club I've ever hit. 215ish carry and 225 to 230 total all very straight. I went to order online but this shaft isn't an option, only fairway shafts. Closest shaft to it is the 70 gram HZRDUS Black 6.5 fairway. Wished they offered hybrid shafts.

I got a notification from Fed Ex that the new Hy-wood will be out for delivery tomorrow. Wednesday is my office and I'll hit he range after work. So I won't get a chance to hit it until at the course on Friday. Trial by fire!

I got a notification from Fed Ex that the new Hy-wood will be out for delivery tomorrow. Wednesday is my office and I'll hit he range after work. So I won't get a chance to hit it until at the course on Friday. Trial by fire!
3+ or 4+? I’ve had one sitting in my cart, but still not sure on loft.

3+ or 4+? I’ve had one sitting in my cart, but still not sure on loft.

I got the 3+....that was what I had before and I think will give me the gapping I want from my 4h...

I got the 3+....that was what I had before and I think will give me the gapping I want from my 4h...
That does make sense. I'd toyed with the ideal of dropping the 4h.

That brings up the question, what kind of gapping are people seeing between the 3+ and 4+?

That brings up the question, what kind of gapping are people seeing between the 3+ and 4+?
I’m not sure but paying attention.

That fitting tool will show you what Cleveland says. But that may be with a robot and we know humans react differently to things.

I’m not sure but paying attention.

That fitting tool will show you what Cleveland says. But that may be with a robot and we know humans react differently to things.
For sure. Thing is, I don't really get too intricate in top of the bag gapping, but more in the sense that I don't mind bigger gaps. Two clubs within 10 yards on that end just doesn't do much for me.

For sure. Thing is, I don't really get too intricate in top of the bag gapping, but more in the sense that I don't mind bigger gaps. Two clubs within 10 yards on that end just doesn't do much for me.

It’s a good question as to gapping. I have only played the original 3+.

Curiou, have you looked much at 4 woods

Curiou, have you looked much at 4 woods
Meh. I don't even like 5 woods 😂

I did play a 4w for quite a long time and it was fine. In general, fairway woods are underutilized in my bag. Lots of unnecessary risk comes into play imo.

Well, post shaft change, I got the 3+ Hywood to 150 ball speed. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Did you have a sense of how much gain that represented for you?

The tool made it seem like the 4+ was slightly longer than the 4h.

My 4h is my security blanket club, so I felt good at the distance so I didn't consider the 4h. Plus it felt like the 4+ was too big of a gap to my 5h. Garmin distances are still being dialed in for the 5h. But right now it's showing

6i - 172
5h
4h - 200
D - 256

The 5h seems to be sitting right in the that 185 range I wanted it to be based on the shots I've used it for the initial rounds. (Kept forgetting to add it to my Garmin bag so my 5i was getting the credit)

I'm looking for the 3+ to be a 220 club off the tee and 215 off the deck...but hopefully with the friendliness of the 4h and 5h.

If I can get that, I'll be absolutely thrilled with the top of my bag. The 5h is already a home run. I used to hate that distance and found myself avoiding it. Now it's the opposite. I had a par 3 that was playing into the wind last Friday. It was really a 6-iron hole. But I convinced myself the wind was going to be a bigger factor and played the 5h. I flew the green and ended up making a mess trying to get back on a green that severely sloped to the front.

Back