Cleveland Halo XL Hybrids and Hy-Wood Review

The hybrid has the Tensei AV Blue HYB shaft. The Hy-wood AV Blue option is the fairway wood version. I imagine they play pretty much the same.

Does anybody know anything about the KBS TD Shaft? I have never tried KBS clubs until my CBX4 wedges and was pleasantly surprised.....they feel really good.

It's an option on the Hy-wood as well.

Poor picture, but stellar golf club
IMG_7849.jpeg

Great feedback. Need this type of performance from that slot in my bag.

How’s the feel/sound to you?

I finally took the 4h (Launcher XL) and 5h (Halo ZL) to the range. I felt different after hitting them back to back. The sound/feel on the new model is more of a dull/click - but it feels very fast. The previous model is a bit more a 'pingy' sound. It's not bad at all the results are really good. The new model sounds/feels better to me....almost a more refined way.

I'd say everything at the old model screamed easy to hit. I'd say the new model tries to give the same results in a bit more conservative look with the dark grey, sound and feel.

I'm pretty sure I'll be putting the Hy-wood in the bag soon. I'll keep the 4h....unless the Hy-wood feels so similar to the 5h that I have a weak spot.

The 17 head has been pulled 👀

For those curious, the 17.0 3+ head weighed 216g

ATTAS COOOL 8X is curing in it now. 👀

Can't wait to hear the report. I didn't realize how much lighter this was the OG Hy-wood shaft. I'm definitely going to order something heavier for it.....

Can't wait to hear the report. I didn't realize how much lighter this was the OG Hy-wood shaft. I'm definitely going to order something heavier for it.....
Haha, yeah, I talked about it in the review a little, it’s what I think cost the numbers from looking as good as they could have FOR ME. Going THAT light is a timing battle for me hahaha

Is that heavier or lighter than expected? I'm thinking of ordering it 1/2 inch short to be the same distance as the OG...and longest difference I'm comfortable with. Probably with a 70 gram either Tensei Blue or KBS TD in it.

I love the Tensei Blue HYB shaft in the 5h. I'm assuming the FW version plays similar at 2 grams less. I'd never hit a KBS shaft until I got the CBX4 and really like it. So considering taking a flier on the KBS shaft in the Hy-wood. The profiles of the two seem similar...

I finally took the 4h (Launcher XL) and 5h (Halo ZL) to the range. I felt different after hitting them back to back. The sound/feel on the new model is more of a dull/click - but it feels very fast. The previous model is a bit more a 'pingy' sound. It's not bad at all the results are really good. The new model sounds/feels better to me....almost a more refined way.

I'd say everything at the old model screamed easy to hit. I'd say the new model tries to give the same results in a bit more conservative look with the dark grey, sound and feel.

I'm pretty sure I'll be putting the Hy-wood in the bag soon. I'll keep the 4h....unless the Hy-wood feels so similar to the 5h that I have a weak spot.
I appreciate the info. I like a little more click than ping for sure.

Just a wee bit of a difference than the stock setup 🤣

IMG_6111.jpeg

IMG_6112.jpeg

Just a wee bit of a difference than the stock setup 🤣

View attachment 9240720

View attachment 9240721

Looks great!!! I'm about to hit submit on my order. I should get the MCA AV Blue I love in the 5h....but that KBS is calling my name as something new to try....

Edit -Went with the AV Blue. Love it in the 5h…leave well enough alone.

Cleveland got in my pocket this cycle. Hy-wood, 5h, 48, 52 and 56 degree CBX4s…..

Last edited:
The Hy-Wood is super impressive in the bat. Ball just explodes off the face from a feeling stand point and if you struggle with a bit of a fade, this thing closes and turns over really easily

The Hy-Wood is super impressive in the bat. Ball just explodes off the face from a feeling stand point and if you struggle with a bit of a fade, this thing closes and turns over really easily
How are you seeing them gapping for you? For example, is the 4 hywood a like for like 4 hybrid replacement? I know it’s likely
not that easy to explain but would be curious your thoughts

How are you seeing them gapping for you? For example, is the 4 hywood a like for like 4 hybrid replacement? I know it’s likely
not that easy to explain but would be curious your thoughts
I have really only hit one that bridges driver to irons or hybrids. Not really gapping club for me. It’s long though

The ball just feels like it explodes off the face and launches really well from the hy-wood.

My only concern at the moment is how to gap it. It’s not quite getting to my 3 hybrid range. The 4 hywood almost splits the difference between my 3 and 4 hybrid. I guess if I pick a lower spinning shaft I may be able to get there as the fitter said I was getting a bit of ballooning. I need to get this and my 4 hybrid side by side on the same day to really see what I’ve got.

The ball just feels like it explodes off the face and launches really well from the hy-wood.

My only concern at the moment is how to gap it. It’s not quite getting to my 3 hybrid range. The 4 hywood almost splits the difference between my 3 and 4 hybrid. I guess if I pick a lower spinning shaft I may be able to get there as the fitter said I was getting a bit of ballooning. I need to get this and my 4 hybrid side by side on the same day to really see what I’ve got.
You all should check out the fitting tool to help sort out gapping. When I entered my driver number the 5wood and hywood numbers I got today were spot on these predictions. Really cool.
IMG_7866.png

Do you have issues getting your 3h in the air? I start to see diminishing returns w/ hybrids when I get into the 3h zone, so the idea that you're seeing more height is enticing to me.

Did you see or hit the hybrids by chance?

Couldn't you choke down on the 3+ to get it to a 3 hybrid, same for 4+ hybrid?

You all should check out the fitting tool to help sort out gapping. When I entered my driver number the 5wood and hywood numbers I got today were spot on these predictions. Really cool.
View attachment 9241755

That's a great tool! I plugged in my numbers from my Garmin app for my driver distance and everything fell into place. It was spot on with the yardage of my (prior version) Launcher XL hybrid. It recommended the 3-Hywood, 4h and 5h.

The beauty of the system is that it has options for each type of swing. An iron swing is more natural to me than a fairway wood swing. The 3 Hy-wood is great in that you can use a similar swing, but it's easier to elevate than a 3 hybrid.

I imagine the 4-Hywood does the same thing in the 4 slot. And then you have fairway woods for players who prefer those. There are tools to fit the top of the bag for every type of player.

Cleveland is ahead of the curve here. I think a lot of people are still buying 3 and 5 woods...and maybe hybrid and not really optimizing their game.

Do you have issues getting your 3h in the air? I start to see diminishing returns w/ hybrids when I get into the 3h zone, so the idea that you're seeing more height is enticing to me.

Did you see or hit the hybrids by chance?
On bad days I have trouble elevating the 3H but if everything is moving I don’t have any trouble elevating. That said, am looking to replace it so even the bad days launch.

The rep had the hybrids but I didn’t take a stab at them with the time I had. I might as if it launches higher than the gamer but gives the same carry I’d likely bring it home.

Couldn't you choke down on the 3+ to get it to a 3 hybrid, same for 4+ hybrid?
Yeah, I probably could but I’m not a fan of choking down and would worry about club balance if I play it say an inch short.

That's a great tool! I plugged in my numbers from my Garmin app for my driver distance and everything fell into place. It was spot on with the yardage of my (prior version) Launcher XL hybrid. It recommended the 3-Hywood, 4h and 5h.

The beauty of the system is that it has options for each type of swing. An iron swing is more natural to me than a fairway wood swing. The 3 Hy-wood is great in that you can use a similar swing, but it's easier to elevate than a 3 hybrid.

I imagine the 4-Hywood does the same thing in the 4 slot. And then you have fairway woods for players who prefer those. There are tools to fit the top of the bag for every type of player.

Cleveland is ahead of the curve here. I think a lot of people are still buying 3 and 5 woods...and maybe hybrid and not really optimizing their game.
That’s the same mix it recommends for me.

The tool really helps clarify things for folks.

View attachment 9241755
Wow. This has me thinking now.

Recommends the 3+ and 4+ Hywood, then the 5h and 6h.

I feel like that setup could be a game changer!

Well, post shaft change, I got the 3+ Hywood to 150 ball speed. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back