Cleveland Halo XL Hybrids and Hy-Wood Review

The tool made it seem like the 4+ was slightly longer than the 4h.

My 4h is my security blanket club, so I felt good at the distance so I didn't consider the 4h. Plus it felt like the 4+ was too big of a gap to my 5h. Garmin distances are still being dialed in for the 5h. But right now it's showing

6i - 172
5h
4h - 200
D - 256

The 5h seems to be sitting right in the that 185 range I wanted it to be based on the shots I've used it for the initial rounds. (Kept forgetting to add it to my Garmin bag so my 5i was getting the credit)

I'm looking for the 3+ to be a 220 club off the tee and 215 off the deck...but hopefully with the friendliness of the 4h and 5h.

If I can get that, I'll be absolutely thrilled with the top of my bag. The 5h is already a home run. I used to hate that distance and found myself avoiding it. Now it's the opposite. I had a par 3 that was playing into the wind last Friday. It was really a 6-iron hole. But I convinced myself the wind was going to be a bigger factor and played the 5h. I flew the green and ended up making a mess trying to get back on a green that severely sloped to the front.
That's always a tough up and down 😂

I do like your thinking here. I'm going to be watching to see how that gapping works for you. When will you have it in hand?

I do like your thinking here. I'm going to be watching to see how that gapping works for you. When will you have it in hand?
Do you think this club would be next after driver? If so, any reason to not do the 3+?

Definitely. Only concern would be ease-of-use and consistent.
Shorter than their 5 woods, should be about the same no? Or concerend a bit about the loft?

Shorter than their 5 woods, should be about the same no? Or concerend a bit about the loft?
Yea, that's a good point. I did see the length is quite a bit shorter, which I like. Only one way to find out I guess.

Did you have a sense of how much gain that represented for you?
It’s less ball speed than what we included in the review linked in the first post, but the shaft is also 40 grams heavier. Flatter trajectory and lower spin have it carrying about 10-15 yards more for me. Much more point and shoot and less having to hope to time the shaft out. But, that’s a fit thing, I know exactly why they put the ascent in it, it just doesn’t jive with my overly psycho swing haha

It’s less ball speed than what we included in the review linked in the first post, but the shaft is also 40 grams heavier. Flatter trajectory and lower spin have it carrying about 10-15 yards more for me. Much more point and shoot and less having to hope to time the shaft out. But, that’s a fit thing, I know exactly why they put the ascent in it, it just doesn’t jive with my overly psycho swing haha
Thanks! (and I forgot we had numbers in this review)

Thanks! (and I forgot we had numbers in this review)
All gravy! I didn’t care for the numbers in the review because it didn’t give a truly fair look dispersion wise on the Hywood for me. It was just one of those fit things where I could make some wild speed, but had no idea where the face was at impact. Treating it like a 5w and going 80+ grams helped me there, it’s still closed to my eye a little and that messes with me, but it’s a freaking cannon that is hilariously fun to hit.

I think I want one of the these the more I think it through this morning. I'm just not sure if I go 3+ for just a straight bomber in the second bag slot or try the 4+ and just see how the gapping plays out.

Do you think this club would be next after driver? If so, any reason to not do the 3+?
Think of the 3+ as being a club that will play slightly longer than the 3H and a bit shorter than a 5W. If that sounds good to you, it’s a great club.
When the OG Hy-wood came out, I liked the idea of having that in my bag, but I found a 7W easier to hit and more appealing to my eye at setup.

It is out for delivery today. I am playing on Friday and Sunday, so will get a chance to put it through its paces before and during each round.

Wednesday is one day I’m going to the office. My wife and I did not exchange Valentine’s Day gifts so I feel a little sheepish that I have club coming in today. I may need to stop and get her something lol.

Just got a chance to unbox here. It's bigger in that it is longer from face to back, but it hides it well at address. I have a custom hybrid headcover and it was a bit of a tight fit to get it on.

I personally prefer the matte look of the old Launcher line than the gloss of the new version, but that's my personal preference. But the sole of the new Halo line looks better. It's sleeker in design and the black and gray color scheme looks classy.

I got it built to 41.5, similar to the old model. (Technically it' the 'Accuracy build' without the counterweight.) I have no idea how that will change the feel of it. Excited to put it through it's paces. I had the 5h in the practice bag today. I've played 3 rounds with it, but it's only the second time at the range. I can't tell you how big of a smile it puts on my face. Just so easy to hit big high long shots with it. I can't believe I waited this long to replace the 5 iron.

Just got a chance to unbox here. It's bigger in that it is longer from face to back, but it hides it well at address. I have a custom hybrid headcover and it was a bit of a tight fit to get it on.

I personally prefer the matte look of the old Launcher line than the gloss of the new version, but that's my personal preference. But the sole of the new Halo line looks better. It's sleeker in design and the black and gray color scheme looks classy.

I got it built to 41.5, similar to the old model. (Technically it' the 'Accuracy build' without the counterweight.) I have no idea how that will change the feel of it. Excited to put it through it's paces. I had the 5h in the practice bag today. I've played 3 rounds with it, but it's only the second time at the range. I can't tell you how big of a smile it puts on my face. Just so easy to hit big high long shots with it. I can't believe I waited this long to replace the 5 iron.
Stick with the same shaft, even though it's an accuracy build?

Stick with the same shaft, even though it's an accuracy build?

I loved the Tensei Blue so much in the 5h that I got the same shaft for the Hy-Wood. The Hy-wood uses a fairway shaft instead of a Hybrid - but the difference was just 2 grams and I'm assuming it'll have the same profile.

Not sure if the SW or feel we be different without the counterweight - but I'm usually not too sensitive to those things.

Lukewarm report on the new Hy-wood today. Granted it was a total cold shaft situation. I didn't hit a single range shot with it. It's first shot was off the tee on a short par 4. Garmin data

#5 - short par 4. Hit a low pull that went 236 yards. (elevated tee shot)
#7 - playing into a 25 mph wind. Hit a dead straight 205 yard shot. Exactly what I wanted
#10 - popped up my tee shot and was over 200 out. Hit a a wipey 223 yard shot pin high but well right of the green. (wind was left to right though)
#12 - low mishit hook (189) off the tee
# 14 - low hook (232) that got lucky and got around a dog leg
#17 - hook to the adjacent fairway (241)

I need some range time with it. I wasn't hooking any other club in the bag, but just couldn't get it straight. The weighting felt off...like it was heavier to swing than my other clubs. And the bigger head looks more like a fairway wood than hybrid. The distance is longer than my old one...but I rely on this club to be a fairway finder.

It'll get benched for Sunday's round. The Halo 5h was literally love at first swing. It's quickly become one of my favorite clubs. I was hoping for the same out of the box magic with the Hywood.

Last edited:
Lukewarm report on the new Hy-wood today. Granted it was a total cold shaft situation. I didn't hit a single range shot with it. It's first shot was off the tee on a short par 4. Garmin data

#5 - short par 4. Hit a low pull that went 236 yards. (elevated tee shot)
#7 - playing into a 25 mph wind. Hit a dead straight 205 yard shot. Exactly what I wanted
#10 - popped up my tee shot and was over 200 out. Hit a a wipey 223 yard shot pin high but well right of the green. (wind was left to right though)
#12 - low mishit hook (189) off the tee
# 14 - low hook (232) that got lucky and got around a dog leg
#17 - hook to the adjacent fairway (241)

I need some range time with it. I wasn't hooking any other club in the bag, but just couldn't get it straight. The weighting felt off...like it was heavier to swing than my other clubs. And the bigger head looks more like a fairway wood than hybrid. The distance is longer than my old one...but I rely on this club to be a fairway finder.

It'll get benched for Sunday's round. The Halo 5h was literally love at first swing. It's quickly become one of my favorite clubs. I was hoping for the same out of the box magic with the Hywood.
Did you go 3+ or 4+ again?

For those curious, the 17.0 3+ head weighed 216g

ATTAS COOOL 8X is curing in it now. 👀
Got my 17.0 3+ head back from the local pro shop last night (don't have tools to pull heads from graphite shafts myself) and weighed it I got 225/226. Thought this was a fluke based on what you saw so weighed it on 2 different scales and both came to this weight. A difference of 9/10g is pretty significant. Thoughts on how and/or why there is a such a big difference in head weight between what you got and what I got?
Has anyone else weighed their Hy-wood heads and seen their heads weigh this much? This puts this head in the realm of a 7 wood head weight, no?

I finally got some range time with the new Hy-wood. I'm thinking it's a shaft issue...I just can't elevate it off the deck with the Tensei Blue like I can elevate the old model or the 4h. I didn't have the old version with me tonight.

Not sure if I'll throw more money into it or sell it and cut my loss.

I finally got some range time with the new Hy-wood. I'm thinking it's a shaft issue...I just can't elevate it off the deck with the Tensei Blue like I can elevate the old model or the 4h. I didn't have the old version with me tonight.

Not sure if I'll throw more money into it or sell it and cut my loss.
That's a real bummer when it happens. Been there.

Just shafted up the Hy-Wood with a LINQ hybrid shaft. Some testing tomorrow

Just shafted up the Hy-Wood with a LINQ hybrid shaft. Some testing tomorrow

I don't know much about club building....can I replace it with a hybrid or a fairway wood shaft? I have some ideas of what I want to put it...

I don't know much about club building....can I replace it with a hybrid or a fairway wood shaft? I have some ideas of what I want to put it...
I feel like that changed this year. I may be getting it backwards, but I think it would be a fairway wood shaft now? There's some talk of that back in this thread I believe. Maybe @Jman remembers off the top of his head.

I feel like that changed this year. I may be getting it backwards, but I think it would be a fairway wood shaft now? There's some talk of that back in this thread I believe. Maybe @Jman remembers off the top of his head.
It's a fairway shaft and hosel now. Unsure the implications of shaving a hybrid shaft down to fit the hosel.

Back