Cleveland Halo XL Hybrids and Hy-Wood Review

Any additional hywood feedback out there? The fairway wood was a bit of an adventure today….
It’s really good.
Great distance. Easy to elevate, fast and just goes!

It’s really good.
Great distance. Easy to elevate, fast and just goes!
You have been playing with the 3+ right? How would you build the bag around it with what you have seen?

You have been playing with the 3+ right? How would you build the bag around it with what you have seen?
For me I would go driver, hy-wood and then 4 hybrid.

@Scooby45 I don't need this, and its all your fault I'm here lol

this club is very much in the back of my mind. For those that have given this a go along with the Super Hybrid, how does it compare?

@Scooby45 I don't need this, and its all your fault I'm here lol

this club is very much in the back of my mind. For those that have given this a go along with the Super Hybrid, how does it compare?
You might not need it, but think it has a chance to clean up the top of my bag. Go driver, 3+, 4 hybrid, should gap enough for my skill at that distance. Then it opens a spot up for a specialty club I can explore, either the second driver, the chipper, maybe that one length utility I’ve been eyeing, maybe a 64 deg wedge for certain courses.

The more I talk about it, the more I’m curious.

A week ago I was fit into a Smoke Max driver, it came in today and did a fitting session to see about filling out the top of the bag. Plus this was the first time getting the Hywood on a launch monitor. Hit a few with the Hywood and G430 4H to get a baseline then hit some different 3W and 5-7W. Then back to the Hywood. Every shot with the Hywood was dead straight and went from 175 to then 185 carry on the second round rolling out over 200. By contrast, Smoke Max 3HL, Cleveland 3W, and Darkspeed 3W were all varying degrees of draw and none of them were longer. A few hits were similar distance, but dispersion was worse than the Hywood by a significant margin.

Had pretty much the same with the G430 4H - hit it straight, slightly low launch, but consistent straight or baby draw. 5W and 7W were no longer and way more variable.

At the end of the day, bought a dozen balls :). The fitter said, “if you’re hitting the Hywood like that, I’d be looking to use that as much as possible on the course. 185 carry dead straight is pretty useful.” I agree.

Mine has the Tensei blue 55g shaft and that is perfect for me. Ended up with the same shaft in the driver.

A week ago I was fit into a Smoke Max driver, it came in today and did a fitting session to see about filling out the top of the bag. Plus this was the first time getting the Hywood on a launch monitor. Hit a few with the Hywood and G430 4H to get a baseline then hit some different 3W and 5-7W. Then back to the Hywood. Every shot with the Hywood was dead straight and went from 175 to then 185 carry on the second round rolling out over 200. By contrast, Smoke Max 3HL, Cleveland 3W, and Darkspeed 3W were all varying degrees of draw and none of them were longer. A few hits were similar distance, but dispersion was worse than the Hywood by a significant margin.

Had pretty much the same with the G430 4H - hit it straight, slightly low launch, but consistent straight or baby draw. 5W and 7W were no longer and way more variable.

At the end of the day, bought a dozen balls :). The fitter said, “if you’re hitting the Hywood like that, I’d be looking to use that as much as possible on the course. 185 carry dead straight is pretty useful.” I agree.

Mine has the Tensei blue 55g shaft and that is perfect for me. Ended up with the same shaft in the driver.
Great feedback.

I’m going to try out the 3hywood. I’ve been struggling with the fairway woods off the deck. I already own 3 hybrids why not add another. 😂. Has anyone bought the hywood and if so what are your thoughts?

From what I e been researching you put a hybrid swing on it. I hit my hybrids consistently. I can’t wait to try this out at the store.

From what I’ve been researching you put a hybrid swing on it. I hit my hybrids consistently. I can’t wait to test this club out.

From what I’ve been researching you put a hybrid swing on it. I hit my hybrids consistently. I can’t wait to test this club out.
Good luck testing and let us all know how it goes.

You can probably get a good deal with the prior gen, I haven't heard much about the difference of the two.

I’m

I checked last years model is 18 degree. Unfortunately, I need the 17 degree which is this year. Which will help bridge gaps for me.
May want to ponder shafts. The stock one is quite light. I went with the Tensei Blue 55R and it is perfect for me but everyone's swing is different. I originally was going to go with the 65R but it was out of stock. Lucky for me, as the 55 times perfectly. Ymmv.

May want to ponder shafts. The stock one is quite light. I went with the Tensei Blue 55R and it is perfect for me but everyone's swing is different. I originally was going to go with the 65R but it was out of stock. Lucky for me, as the 55 times perfectly. Ymmv.
Thanks for the advice. They should put a decent shaft in it considering it’s
Pricey.

Thanks for the advice. They should put a decent shaft in it considering it’s
Pricey.
There’s nothing wrong with the stock Aldila shaft. It is just very light. Tensei 55 or 65 is a no-cost option.

Any additional hywood feedback out there? The fairway wood was a bit of an adventure today….
I still have the OG HyWood in my bag, in the 5W spot.

I still have the OG HyWood in my bag, in the 5W spot.
I’m probably going to be putting the original back in the bag this season. It was such a versatile club for me, especially out of the rough.

I’m probably going to be putting the original back in the bag this season. It was such a versatile club for me, especially out of the rough.
Such a good club, no doubt.

I haven’t seen that option on any website to switch the shaft.
Click the "Custom Build" button under the add to cart button.

So I got the 6H with the Tensei Blue 65R given how well I've gotten along with the 3+ Hywood. Have hit it a couple of range sessions and all I can say is these things just work. Interestingly the head is smaller than the G430 5H (which is 26*, the Cleveland is 27*) and also smaller than Smoke HL 7H. The shaft may be a bit long - I choke down a bit to get it where it feels like the right length. But then just swing and it goes straight. I was hitting it same distance as the G430. Part of that I think is just that the shaft (and counterbalance) really works for me.

May end up with more of these in the bag. Yeah, you can't adjust them but at this point I don't need to. They just go like stink...

I hit @Hawk ‘s HyWood at the range today, and I liked it. I prefer my Franken-HyWood a bit more. But the standard build is really good too.

Back