Cleveland Halo XL Hybrids and Hy-Wood Review

I hit @Hawk ‘s HyWood at the range today, and I liked it. I prefer my Franken-HyWood a bit more. But the standard build is really good too.
Pros? Cons?

My Hy-wood is the club that has been in my bag the longest. Given my penchant for trying new stuff, this is saying a lot!!

I have the 3+ and 4+ in the bag. Really enjoying them.

Is there some reason they don't make this club in 15 degrees, and/or 23 degrees? I wish I could get another 10-15 yards on the 3+.

I have the 3+ and 4+ in the bag. Really enjoying them.

Is there some reason they don't make this club in 15 degrees, and/or 23 degrees? I wish I could get another 10-15 yards on the 3+.
How are those two gapping for you?

How are those two gapping for you?
Curious as well. The Cleveland online fitting tool gives me very little yardage difference between the two, but I’m about 220 with driver. Assume someone with more speed could make them work.

Happy new owner of a 3+. It's got the stock shaft in it - again, a big thanks to my great friend @Jman for giving me a chance to see how a club like this can help my game. I've never actually hit a Hy-Wood before.

It's light in the hand with the stock shaft. I like that. Head is kinda big, but not in a big fairway wood way. I wasn't scared to swing it, even on the course, so another good sign. A bit closed and didn't love the straight lines on the crown, but again - didn't really matter.

I had some immediate range love going on with this thing. Very surprised how high I hit it both from the turf and the tee. I can't really give any sort of distance or gapping info yet, as it was into the wind and I have no clue how deep the flags at briggs were.

I think Cleveland gets sound right in clubs like this and the Hy-Wood is no exception. It's metallic and bouncy.

I can't say I hit any great shots with it on the course. Some good ones. Here's where it shined though (I have no shame). You can literally hit the ground 4 inches behind the ball and it just doesn't matter that much lol. Yea, you'll lose distance, but the sole glides the head right into the ball and it goes somewhere.

Happy new owner of a 3+. It's got the stock shaft in it - again, a big thanks to my great friend @Jman for giving me a chance to see how a club like this can help my game. I've never actually hit a Hy-Wood before.

It's light in the hand with the stock shaft. I like that. Head is kinda big, but not in a big fairway wood way. I wasn't scared to swing it, even on the course, so another good sign. A bit closed and didn't love the straight lines on the crown, but again - didn't really matter.

I had some immediate range love going on with this thing. Very surprised how high I hit it both from the turf and the tee. I can't really give any sort of distance or gapping info yet, as it was into the wind and I have no clue how deep the flags at briggs were.

I think Cleveland gets sound right in clubs like this and the Hy-Wood is no exception. It's metallic and bouncy.

I can't say I hit any great shots with it on the course. Some good ones. Here's where it shined though (I have no shame). You can literally hit the ground 4 inches behind the ball and it just doesn't matter that much lol. Yea, you'll lose distance, but the sole glides the head right into the ball and it goes somewhere.
I have the original 3+ . It's versatile from any lie.

A few swings on the ST+ showed me the 3+ is getting me 5w distance, but much easier to swing.

A few swings on the ST+ showed me the 3+ is getting me 5w distance, but much easier to swing.
I’ve also found that it goes straight almost no matter what I do. The “easier to swing” is spot-on.

I’ve also found that it goes straight almost no matter what I do. The “easier to swing” is spot-on.
It's definitely not overly biased from what I'm seeing. Love that springy feeling at impact.

It's definitely not overly biased from what I'm seeing. Love that springy feeling at impact.
I still like your reaction sitting it down at address the first time hahahaha

She big.

That might be the best reference/comparison ever.
That's because you also have a big old head like me.

I'm a bit smitten by this thing. I think it could be a game changer for me, because historically I just struggle with anything between driver and 4h.

That's because you also have a big old head like me.

I'm a bit smitten by this thing. I think it could be a game changer for me, because historically I just struggle with anything between driver and 4h.
Yup, it could be that club for a ton of golfers. It’s big, it’s got a little offset, the angles are a little different to look at, but it’s neutral (head, shaft obviously wasn’t a fit for me) and it just works tee and turf. It’s fun.

Yup, it could be that club for a ton of golfers. It’s big, it’s got a little offset, the angles are a little different to look at, but it’s neutral (head, shaft obviously wasn’t a fit for me) and it just works tee and turf. It’s fun.
I can see where the shaft would be an issue for some guys, but part of me also wonders just how many of those guys really need a club like this to begin with. To me, the light weight is integral in the whole concept of providing an option that can be elevated at lower lofts. As a comparison, I tried the one @JDax built and preferred the stock version by quite a wide margin.

I can see where the shaft would be an issue for some guys, but part of me also wonders just how many of those guys really need a club like this to begin with. To me, the light weight is integral in the whole concept of providing an option that can be elevated at lower lofts. As a comparison, I tried the one @JDax built and preferred the stock version by quite a wide margin.
I had an 8X in that one after review and before I put the stock shaft back in to bring to you and it was never close to the same club. It’s definitely, imo, built the way it is for a reason, and it does it so damn well.

I have had the Launcher XL Hy-Wood for a little over 2 years now. I love it. It has been in the bag longer than any club I have. (Sad, I know). It is literally point and shoot from 200-215 yards. My only gripe is that the regular flex shaft is a little whippy. I should have bought the stiff shaft. I can adjust for it by choking down a bit and taking a nice smooth swing. It is the most consistent club I have.

I have had the Launcher XL Hy-Wood for a little over 2 years now. I love it. It has been in the bag longer than any club I have. (Sad, I know). It is literally point and shoot from 200-215 yards. My only gripe is that the regular flex shaft is a little whippy. I should have bought the stiff shaft. I can adjust for it by choking down a bit and taking a nice smooth swing. It is the most consistent club I have.
I'd say embrace the whip with that kind of performance!

Can you expand on that? I'm really curious on this club but have historically struggled to time lighter shafts. Could 100% use the added launch from them, but hitting it high doesn't matter if it's sailing over trees left and right...

The way I built it was to make it more hybrid like than wood. It works for me, but rebuilding it took the whole counter balance out of the club. It’s a FrankenHyWood really. Not the club that one can buy.

Can you expand on that? I'm really curious on this club but have historically struggled to time lighter shafts. Could 100% use the added launch from them, but hitting it high doesn't matter if it's sailing over trees left and right...
I just think you have a subgroup of golfers that this club is designed for. Lighter and softer shafts tend to be useful for many of them, but you'll often see a rejection of them. Sometimes it's based in reality and sometimes it's based less in reality. To me, the shaft is just easy to swing, seems to generate some speed, and pairs up perfectly with the concept of the club. I get that it won't be for everybody, but probably would be fine for the majority of people that it's intended for.
The way I built it was to make it more hybrid like than wood. It works for me, but rebuilding it took the whole counter balance out of the club. It’s a FrankenHyWood really. Not the club that one can buy.
I agree you shouldn't change a thing about your setup. You really hit it well!

How does the stock shaft compare to the cypher of the old one? The older one just works and works damn well. I’ve always wanted maybe another 10-15 yards tho, so thinking of the new one. But the Cypher shaft just fits me so well.

Back