Cleveland Launcher HB Irons

Love this DSW. Hoping I have the same great results! Thanks again for all the info on these clubs. Really helpful.

Same to you 2B!

Maiden voyage this Sunday. YEA!!
No worries - happy to help anyway I can. The clubs do take a little bit of time to adjust to, but they are awesome. Take your time to get a good feel for them. Ive had the best success with trying to make smooth fluid swings and not trying to kill the ball. In making good contact these clubs just reward you with great flight. I really wish I bought these back when they came out. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

I cant answer that as I have never hit those. Hopefully someone that has can chime in

There are a number of comparisons in the thread. I greatly preferred these.

Bought mine in Oct. 2017 when they were first introduced (4 thru D wedge) and have not posted lately - still love the clubs as they are very easy to hit but I still cant stand the look of the 4 thru 7 -- anyway the reason I am posting is over the last six weeks I have been a little inconsistent with these irons --- reason being even though they are irons they look like hybrids (carry 2 and 3 hybrid also) and I was standing too far away with the HB so I moved 2 to 3 inches closer over the last 4 rounds and started hitting them like I did in the 2018 season - anyone else experience this

Bought mine in Oct. 2017 when they were first introduced (4 thru D wedge) and have not posted lately - still love the clubs as they are very easy to hit but I still cant stand the look of the 4 thru 7 -- anyway the reason I am posting is over the last six weeks I have been a little inconsistent with these irons --- reason being even though they are irons they look like hybrids (carry 2 and 3 hybrid also) and I was standing too far away with the HB so I moved 2 to 3 inches closer over the last 4 rounds and started hitting them like I did in the 2018 season - anyone else experience this

That doesn't sound like an equipment problem........

it isn't an equipment problem - but hitting blades my entire life with a thin top line and 12mm sole when you put the HB on the ground with a sole 4 to 5 times larger and a top line 2 to 3 times larger I think I am hitting a hybrid and I started standing too far away - guess it was a brain cramp

There are a number of comparisons in the thread. I greatly preferred these.

Ok, thanks. After 10 great years with the HB3, I am getting the itch to try something new. I am not sure if I should just go with the HB irons or something like a Ping GMax. I imagine the transition away from the HB's might be tricky. Not easy taking the training wheels off, lol.

Well, after 8 rounds with them, I'm tempted to buy another set for when they don't make them anymore and these wear out.

Maybe get geezer flex graphites and keep them new in storage until I'm sixty (10 years).

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Well, after 8 rounds with them, I'm tempted to buy another set for when they don't make them anymore and these wear out.

Maybe get geezer flex graphites and keep them new in storage until I'm sixty (10 years).

Funny you should say that about getting Sr flex for later on. About 5 years ago, Dick's had the HB3's in a Sr Flex marked down. I thought about getting it for the future. But, thought at the time, I don't need them. Now, that I am 60. Those clubs would have been perfect.

With the drop in price, wonder if there’s a newer, updated version coming in the new year? In their website it won’t let you customize a set either. The new Tour Edge really look playable!

Last edited:
With the drop in price, wonder if there’s a newer, updated version coming in the new year? In their website it won’t let you customize a set either. The new Tour Edge really look playable!
I recall something from JB being posted about new pre-release stuff here couldn't talk about yet being delivered.

I'm sure you will really like these clubs. I played 9 on Sunday with the HBs and got my best score ever on the front 9 of my home course. I've had these clubs for 2 weeks now with 3 full rounds, two 9 hole rounds and three other times where I go out at night and play a few holes. So far these clubs are really delivering for me. During Sunday's round of 9 holes I shot 2 birdies - something I have never done before, including on a par 4 with a second shot from a fairway bunker with a 9 iron that landed a few inches from the hole, bounced off the pin and rolls about 2 feet. Putted for birdie. This is a hole that has an elevated green, with bunkers directly in front and a small pond in front of the bunkers. This is a hole I normally struggle with and rarely make par.

I played 5 holes last night and did well again. These clubs are so forgiving that I'm seeing much better and consistent ball contact and better strikes, and my mishits are significantly less severe. Now when setting up for a shot I have confidence in the irons. This has made the last few rounds so much more fun. Good luck and I hope you experience similar results. Let us know your thoughts after you put the clubs in play.

Round one in the books. Let me start out by saying I had no range session with these clubs, and I have a right hand injury. I'm playing with my right index finger and thumb on top of the shaft instead of around it.

Shot an 83 and was really impressed with these sticks. Struggled with the driver today, so I had a lot of long shots into the green. 5 Iron thru 9 irons were money. Need to work with the 4 iron, and put some time in with the pitching wedge. It felt a little light/different to me. I'm sure I'll figure that out with a little practice.

Really pleased with the accuracy and forgiveness of these irons. Even with my funky grip and injured hand, I had no issues with wayward shots or control. Hitting from the rough after my leaky drives was excellent also. These shine out of the rough as far as I'm concerned. Hit a couple off the toe on 2 par 3s, and they both were nice shots into the green. High and straight. Was really impressed with that.

I'm happy with the feel off the face, and like the stock stiff graphite shafts also. I had no issues with the looks of these clubs either. After I hit them a few times, I never gave the top line or back of the club a second look. Looking forward to gaming these for the rest of the season. Can't wait to see how well I do as I get more rounds under my belt with them.

They named these clubs correctly. Easy swings do really launch the ball. :clapp: Thanks again guys for all the info and recommendations. I'm a believer. I'll report back after my next couple of rounds with an update.

Congrats Duker. Glad to hear you are liking the clubs. I agree with your thoughts about how the clubs look. While I wasn't concerned about it, once I put them in play I have not thought about the wide soles at all. Looking forward to hearing about your results going forward.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks DSW!

Played again yesterday in a vendor outing scramble. We finished at 7 under. 5 of those birdies came off of iron shots I hit into the green. Again, 5 - 9 irons were just great. Hit 2 good shots with the 4 iron, and two clunkers. Hit some good shots with the PW, but pulled and push a few. May add some lead tape to the PW. Just feels a little light to me, but I'll work that out.

Guys in the group were really impressed with my 5 - 7 iron shots into the par 3s and from the fairway. These really fly with easy controlled swings. I never felt like I had to push them or lean on them to get them to go. Really can't wait to see how well I do once my busted hand heals up.

You guys and Rick Shields weren't kidding. Legal cheating with these! :)

I'm well past the "honeymoon" stage with these clubs, and am still VERY glad I bought them.

I played a course yesterday with three long iron length par 3's, and was either on or on the fringe on them all with a nice, easy swing.

There only time I have issues is when I try to seeing too hard, and that's becoming fewer and father between.

Something interesting happened today that I thought I would share. Had a lesson with my swing coach today. I haven't seen him for 2 weeks and not since I shot my best 9 hole score ever at my home course. We were working on swing plane and consisent ball contact. He was checking out the HBs. After watching me hit Iron shots he made the following comments "I really like how your are hitting those clubs. Great contact and ball flight. Those clubs are winners for you and you really need to keep those in your bag." He is from Golftec and is a certified coach and club fitter.

It was nice to get that confirmation from him, which reinforces my thoughts that the HBs are right for me.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Doesn't get much better than that Pal. Great endorsement there for your swing and the HBs!

I have a set of these and the CBX and have been using a mixed bag with launcher HB at the top some CBX lower down and with CBX wedges bring up the bottom section. With regard to the HB’s I’ve seen that they are easier to get in the air, are straighter than my CBX’s and actually do hold the greens due to the steeper angle of descent. I could not care less about how they look ( they look like hybrids ) as I’m not capable of using so called players irons anyway but I will say that even though they look hybrid like, I can work them better than hybrids - I can move them left and right and up and down just like the CBX’s.

Couldn't agree with you more Bob.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

So, my league average this year was right around 50-52.

I put up a 42 last night with two birdies and an 8 on a par-5 I usually par.

Hitting greens from 150-175 the vast majority of the time is huge.

At 150 I feel like I'm as likely to be close as I used to feel at 100.

I am planning a driver/hybrids fitting, but want nothing to do with changing these irons

Good for you Goalie!!

I've had 3 really good rounds with mine. Feel the same way from 150 in. Automatic! Loving these sticks especially on long par 3s. There are a couple par 3s on my home course that have always given me trouble, and I've pared both of them 3 times in a row. One with the 5 iron and the other with the 6 each time. 6 for 6 pars. Too bad I can't putt!! :) Best game improvement purchase for my golf game ever.

Good for you Goalie!!

I've had 3 really good rounds with mine. Feel the same way from 150 in. Automatic! Loving these sticks especially on long par 3s. There are a couple par 3s on my home course that have always given me trouble, and I've pared both of them 3 times in a row. One with the 5 iron and the other with the 6 each time. 6 for 6 pars. Too bad I can't putt!! :) Best game improvement purchase for my golf game ever.
I used to have a no-man's land yardage gap from 150-175 since I couldn't hit my 4, 5 and 6 irons consistently, and my hybrids flew too far.

Now it's just tee it up and swing my 4,5 or 6 iron and watch it fly high and (usually) straight.

I used to have a no-man's land yardage gap from 150-175 since I couldn't hit my 4, 5 and 6 irons consistently, and my hybrids flew too far.

Now it's just tee it up and swing my 4,5 or 6 iron and watch it fly high and (usually) straight.

I feel you!!!:bananadance:

Yeah, I never really bought into the whole "buying a game" concept, but these things are making the game a LOT more fun for me.

c7340a1055609175280ba70427e4dba2.jpg

Back