Cleveland RTX-4 Wedges

Mine have shipped... Now comes a decision... Do you change wedges right before the THP Championship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends....are you in a loath or getting ready for the Champions tour? Lol

Cleveland RTX-4 Wedges

I think I’m starting to like the low bounce option on my 58. I had a lot of tight tight lies around the greens today and I clipped all of them clean and spinny. If done right you can still feel the bounce but it’s subtle. I also had one with my 54 that I needed to carry a little more and release more. This is where I really liked the relief on the trailing edge yet it still gave it a pop off the turf with the mid bounce option.

I only had one that I wished I had a full bounce sole on. I was alittle long on the par 3 11th. I had a really fluffy lie with some space underneath. Usually I would open it slightly and pop the ground with the sole. This time I really had to clip it clean to get it up and got under it alittle leaving it short on the collar of the green. Just going to take practice.

I really liked my 3’s but they hit a home run on these. If your in the game for new wedges....don’t over look these. And make sure you explore all the bounce options available

I have a 60° full grind and put it in play today for the first time. I have the Raw finish with a Steelfiber R shaft. Feels great. Went with the full for sand bunkers and the fluffy collars around here. Worked nice today. Finish will be gone soon for sure. A lot wore off from just today and I only used it 3 times. Hoping to get some actual range time with it and the new SM7s i got.

Cleveland RTX-4 Wedges

Oh my has technology come a long way. I’m pitching in the yard with
my tour striker smart ball with my dads old 52 Cleveland 588 and even on good strikes it still feels like a board compared to the 4s. I’m only using this club in the yard for swing reps. Then taking my 54 RTX 4 is like night and day. I also played today and even hit a couple chips toe side with the 4s and ended up where I needed to be. The RTX 4s are FUN...and stupid forgiving for so called “players” wedges.

68efe3c6a5d5ba8109a0a140ea4b0064.jpg
32a07e466752fd640e0be9a070e49718.jpg

d0362e903b3711d3e4b2a26c2d0824ab.jpg

303549e0ee8f2332808d12e92d678b58.jpg

Well hello there...

d0362e903b3711d3e4b2a26c2d0824ab.jpg

303549e0ee8f2332808d12e92d678b58.jpg

Well hello there...

That has Leonard Fournette at #2 written all over it.

I actually think these feel softer than the SM7 line does.
I have never been a big soft vs hard feel when it comes to wedges however, because the sound is what is playing that role.

Has anyone done a test on feel where they use sound proof ear phones or something to properly understand feel vs sound? I'd be really interested if it was just based purely on noise vs actual softness/hardness of the club face.

Cleveland RTX-4 Wedges

Has anyone done a test on feel where they use sound proof ear phones or something to properly understand feel vs sound? I'd be really interested if it was just based purely on noise vs actual softness/hardness of the club face.

Yes. Sure have. Pretty simple to do, give it a try sometime. The difference in metal woods is pretty funny.

@JDax.....worth the wait I see. Those are pretty awesome!

What is your opinion on the leading edge? Sit lower to you also? Are those about the bounce options you normally play?

@JDax.....worth the wait I see. Those are pretty awesome!

What is your opinion on the leading edge? Sit lower to you also? Are those about the bounce options you normally play?

I’ll know more when I get them to the course tomorrow...

Initial thoughts: (I gamed the RTX-3 before the MD4)

The leading edge sits lower than the RTX-3 & MD4.

The changes in the V-Sole are very interesting, looking forward to seeing the improvement in turf interaction.

These feel heavier than both the RTX-3 & MD4. This might be shaft related, I had KBS HiRev2 shafts in my RTX-3 & KBS C-Taper Lite shafts in the MD4s. If this becomes a problem, I’ll just reshaft them.

In the 58 this is the lowest bounce I’ve gamed with a 6 bounce. The previous two 58 Degree wedges in my bag have been 8 bounce.

In the 54, the 10 bounce is normal for me. In the MD4, I have the S grind which is a 10 bounce. I had a 3 Dot in the RTX-3, which was a 12 bounce.

ca99755b7618489bd69566c4ac6ea8ed.jpg

For the first time since December, there is a non Callaway club being tested in my bag. Not sure how I feel about it.

I played a 12 bounce in my 58 and 10 in my 54 in the 3's. In the 4, im playing a 6 in my 58 which is a big change but im getting used to it. I liked the 12 bounce on the 58 for 50,60 yard shots getting through the soft bent grass I play on. I really havnt had that shot much with my 4's. With that said, its pretty legit around the greens though!!!!!!!!

Those look awesome @JDax

Those wedges look fantastic Dax. I'm really looking forward to how these perform for everyone.

Spent about 35 minutes chipping greenside today with the 54 and 58.
Was one of my better short game sessions in quite some time. Same sone crazy consistency with some lower running 54* shots across the green that checked up quite nicely even with crappy range balls.

Got the 58* out and worked on hitting them a bit higher (naturally) but saw a tight dispersion there as well.

I will say even greenside these rip through the rough better than my previous few sets of wedges.
As im working on my game i look forward to getting some time in on the partial and full swing shots too.

There was talk of the RTX-4's leading edge sitting closer to the ground at address and here are a few pics showing this compared to the RTX-3's. You can also see the 4's have a slightly thinner top line also

4 on left, 3 on right

2nQX5XM.jpg

3 on left, 4 on right

kkmgGQ2.jpg

Also the "mid" bounce option on the RTX-4 54 you can see is slightly less than the RTX-3. Even states it on the sole...10 degrees on the 4, 11 on the 3

xu1QBih.jpg

UpdzGvU.jpg

Now that I’ve got a few round on these I do have a couple thoughts on them. I’m gonna save most of my feedback for the near future and maybe after the THP Championship because currently the stock shafts are being pulled and my Recoil Wedge Protos are getting plugged in. That’s my shaft of choice and what I’m most comfortable giving an apples to apples comparison between the RTX3’s and 4’s.

First off, I played the •• in the 3’s and got the Mid option in the 4’s so they’re pretty similar. For me so far I feel like they played pretty similar, but I’ll know more about that after the shaft change and I get back to a familiar feel. Which is huge for me as more of a “feel” wedge player.

In my 58* RTX4 I changed it up a bit and got the Low grind, the •• in the 3’s always left me wanting something with a little more versatility. The Low grind really is everything I wanted in this spot in my bag, to me it is a perfect LW and compliments my style of play. This might be my new favorite wedge around the green, mostly because I love to short side myself, but this is a lifesaver in those situations for me.

I’ll have more soon! BTW, the raw finish is awesome!

My set of 50/54/58 were to be delivered today but my kids decided not to answer the door for the postman and sign for daddy’s new wedges. Looks like I will have some children for sell on the black market when I get home.

Decided to go with the RTX 4 Tour Satin 50/54/58 Mid with Modus3 Wedge125 shafts. Looking forward to contributing some thoughts once my arrive and I get them on the range and course!

That is some really good stuff in that review. Lays everything out really succinctly - mid seemed to be the way to go for me and it’s reflected in the findings here!

Absolutely love my 54*. Getting really comfortable with it from both tight lies and from the rough. Didnt have a great dsy green side with my 58* on Monday so went 54 all day today and i had quite a few up and downs including 1 for par on the tough final hole today.

I am thinking of going with the mid-bounce option on the 48 and 54, and then a low-bounce on the 60 when I replace my wedges at the end of this year

No idea on shafts, but if I can get the Nippon wedge shafts they should be similar to my iron shafts (Tour 130)

Over two weeks since the review was posted here and I'm shocked there is so little conversation about these. I really thought these would be a well talked about wedge as the RTX3 seemed to be a hot item. Are people passing on them?

Back