Club Buying: Your biggest miss?

TaylorMade burner 2.0 this was before I really understood being fit and bought it off the rack. Terrible idea. I gamed it for a season and maybe hit 3 fairways….

A Yonex something-or-other driver. Terrible fit that didn’t make it past the practice range.

PM Grind wedge. I could never get comfortable with it. I was playing some really decent golf when I bought it but never hit it worth a spit. I went back to my prior 60° and hit it fine.

That first Cure putter…why did I ever buy that thing??? Maybe novelty?

Before I got learned by THP I purchased a Ping driver because the guy at the local shop told me it was great back then I knew nothing. Got it on course and it was a disaster. Knowing what I know now its because it spun way too much for me. For some weird reason Ping drivers still do.

Scotty Cameron Fastback (twice) so wanted to like them but they wouldn't make the ball go in or near the hole!

Callaway X14 steelhead irons. I went from shooting low 80's to struggling to break 100 in 6 months. Mishits felt just like pure ones so I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Traded them for a set of Nike blades because I wanted something so unforgiving I could tell what I was doing wrong. Played those for a year and went back to my Ping Eye2

Taylormade RAC LT irons. The head and shaft were a bad fit more me. Lost more than 1 club length distance and then traded them in for a loss. Learned a good lesson about what fit me though.

ANY 9* driver...i need loft :(:ROFLMAO:

Mavrik irons. I knew after the first round that they were quickly leaving my bag. Runner-up would be Adams a12OS irons: three rounds and they went back to Golfsmith.

When I first got back into playing last year, I bought a used Callaway 3 hybrid. Being uneducated to current club design, I wasn’t aware that clubs could have a built in draw bias. My normal shot is straight or with a bit of a draw and all I could do with that club was hook it left.

TaylorMade R1. It was an off the rack Christmas present. Exactly what I had asked for… I’m sure the head was fine, but the shaft and I didn’t get along. It went a long ways, but not in the right direction.

Earlier this year my dad gifted me a Scotty Cameron out of his putter fleet. Put it in the bag and struggled right off the bat with it. Did not like the grip, did not like the weight, and I’m not sure the blade style is right for me. Sure looked cool 3&4 putting for a couple rounds though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 Miss would have to be the TM Rocketballz Stage 2 Driver. I had played a boxed set for 2 years and knew I needed to replace a few things, at least the driver, putter, and wedges. Balls would fly off that club but boy oh boy was it wild. Not the club for a beginner I think.

#2 Might actually be my current driver, Mavrik SZ. Great ball speeds....dials down my spin...but the fade bias, especially when I had it set to 8* from 9* is really tough for me. A straight shot for me is either a high fade off into the right rough (thankfully not any further right) or a low cut where I'm playing up the left side. It's too volatile though as I have to really manipulate the clubface. My fitter suggested looking either at the Epic Max LS as a replacement.

#3 Not really the club's fault. I owned a used Scotty blade when I was first playing. My stroke was definitely straight back and forth and I couldn't seem to find the center of the clubface. Became a mallet lifer after that. And an Odyssey/now SeeMore guy too.

The Hammer never went 400 yds for me

the teeny tiny adams pro hybrid with the red text on the sole was absolutely horrible for me

jetspeed fairways were horrible for me

and as much as i like callaway as a brand and the amazing people i've met, every driver i've owned from them has been a struggle for me and most woods as well

Callaway Rogue for me. Got fitted for a TS2 with perfect numbers and I decided to go with the rogue to save a little cash since I was still in college at the time. Ended up costing me a lot more anyway since I eventually went back to the TS2 among several other drivers.

TM RBZ 3 hybrid. Bought online and have never gotten comfortable with that club. I'm currently looking for something fill that spot in the bag.

I have so many it is hard to count them. Way back I bought an original Great Big Bertha driver off the rack and I could never keep that club on the planet because of the graphite shaft it came with. It was years before I found the ProForce 75 and could actually play a graphite shaft.

I bought a PRGR driving iron because of an infomercial years before they were common and I hooked the crap out of it for years.

I have probably bought a dozen hybrids over the years and none of them worked for me. I am in a 9W now in that spot but I still look at hybrids and am thinking about a UW.

Recently I got fitted for a set of irons and wound up with Apex 19s that never worked for me. It was okay though because I got fit somewhere that guaranteed the fit and they worked with me to make it right.

#2 Might actually be my current driver, Mavrik SZ. Great ball speeds....dials down my spin...but the fade bias, especially when I had it set to 8* from 9* is really tough for me. A straight shot for me is either a high fade off into the right rough (thankfully not any further right) or a low cut where I'm playing up the left side. It's too volatile though as I have to really manipulate the clubface. My fitter suggested looking either at the Epic Max LS as a replacement.

You will weep tears of joy as you hit towering bombs with the Epic Max LS. I have owned both of these drivers and the difference in forgiveness is massive. In the hands of a skilled golfer "not me" the Mavrik Sub Zero is a precision instrument capable of working the ball and the button in the middle of the face is as hot as anything out there. Golf is hard enough without punishing myself for no good reason.

This is an easy one for me... I bought the original SLDR.

Back then, I knew NOTHING about clubs, and I thought TM was king, and lets just say it wasn't the right club for me.
I bought a 430 SLDR and absolutely killed it in the simulator. I was 24 at the time and didnt know anything about technology, just loved and always played TM drivers

ended up being the worst thing I ever bought. Id find myself 2 fairways over sometimes lol....but man that 2 drives a round that were killed down the middle went forever

I owned a Ping I15 driver for like a month and i'm pretty confident i hit zero fairways with it. After like my 5th round playing with it , i threw it in the trunk , took it deep into the forest and buried it, then sprayed myself with ammonia to conceal the evidence. It was almost exactly like how they did it in Goodfellas.

That and the original Titleist "driving iron" which was the 503H. I'm pretty sure that club had a center of gravity somewhere like 3 feet above the club face. I couldn't hit it over a fence.

Back