club review redundancy ?

I feel like it's common if not the norm to include some kind of reference to what is different from the previous version.

I like comparison content too, but I think it's better in video or forum format when you can get a sense over time of what the reviewer's game and preferences are like.

You know we have a homepage of stand alone reviews, yeah? I think sometimes here on the forum side that gets lost, would you agree @ddec ?

Also, we don’t base things on a good/bad or best/worst BECAUSE of the personal aspect. We break it all down, the tech and the performance, talk about the trends, and give the reader a better knowledge than they had coming in. I want to educate, not tell you what is best.

Wait THP has a webpage…. Just kidding. You’re right though

All reviews are ultimately based on the author’s swing and opinions. It would be nice to have more of the context that person is working from. Seeing head to head comparisons is one way to add that context.

One of the benefits of this place is you get those head to head comparison’s from the community. For stand alone golf review sites I think that context is missing.
Which is what makes THP unlike any other. The staff writers here do a great job releasing their reviews, and then opening it up to the entire forum for further reviews, results, comparisons and opinions. The release/review article is the beginning, the 100s and 100s of posts of follow up provides so much more information and content.

Any review thread you click on, if you ask for direct comparisons to another club, the staff will most certainly take the time to provide the information if available.

You know we have a homepage of stand alone reviews, yeah? I think sometimes here on the forum side that gets lost, would you agree @ddec ?

Also, we don’t base things on a good/bad or best/worst BECAUSE of the personal aspect. We break it all down, the tech and the performance, talk about the trends, and give the reader a better knowledge than they had coming in. I want to educate, not tell you what is best.
Exactly. Read the review, then dive in to the thread.

To me club comparisons are just a report on the club, and just the first step. That step being to get golfers interested in that golf club.

Once interested, it's up to the end user to compare, and see if the club fits their own game.

I think this is important. Comparisons can often leave people with the wrong conclusion given how subjective the data is based on the person swinging. The audience has to go in knowing that, but you can’t guarantee every reader understands that and someone may walk away with a wrong conclusion for their game. I mean look at how many of those comparison videos are done on YT where they hit 5 balls with a driver and say distance is same, not worth it.

I will admit I do enjoy watching comparison videos, but I most certainly watch them knowing I may or may not have the same results and have to do my own testing. Which leads me back to the information on the tech, what’s new, etc anyways.

Reviews tell me the story of why I would want to go to the store and try something out. It doesn't tell me how it compares to the driver I am currently hitting.

Comparison videos are big on YouTube but they are very specific to the person swinging the club. There is also bias in there as they are definitely trying to prove a point. Most people that put out a comparison video have an agenda and it is obvious what it is when you watch. Some are propping up a brand and some are trying to tell you that you don't need to speed money. It really is quite silly sometimes.

If I want to actually compare something I will schedule a fitting. If I want to compare the last 10 drivers from Callaway then I think about how much money I have to spend to make that happen and get over it.

@Jman said something in a Wilson thread the other day that resonated fairly well. It was something like all major OEM’s aren’t putting out crap clubs. So it’s kind of hard for any company to have some outlandish claims without getting blow back.

I see club reviews as the checks and balances to those claims/stories. Stuff like: Do they work? Who is the market this club is intended for? And, most of the people doing those “professional” reviews are pretty good golfers with a very predictable swing (for them). I find most of the reviews to be positive and really confirm what the manufacture is saying. And if they are blowing smoke, it’ll be called out.

@Jman said something in a Wilson thread the other day that resonated fairly well. It was something like all major OEM’s aren’t putting out crap clubs. So it’s kind of hard for any company to have some outlandish claims without getting blow back.

I see club reviews as the checks and balances to those claims/stories. Stuff like: Do they work? Who is the market this club is intended for? And, most of the people doing those “professional” reviews are pretty good golfers with a very predictable swing (for them). I find most of the reviews to be positive and really confirm what the manufacture is saying. And if they are blowing smoke, it’ll be called out.
Im way more professional than @ddec 🤣😜

I’ll add one thing, a GOOD writer can bring the negatives to the conversation without lacking tact and simply going scorched earth. It’s something I know @ddec @Hawk and myself all take pride in.

I’ll add one thing, a GOOD writer can bring the negatives to the conversation without lacking tact and simply going scorched earth. It’s something I know @ddec @Hawk and myself all take pride in.

That you guys do!

I also think you’re confusing release articles, from reviews.
I'm not really sure what differentiates release articles from reviews. Both seem to include the same information about materials used for construction, internal head weighting, head adjustability etc... For a club release article that manufacturer's information is fine but for a club review I would like to read and, or hear about how the new club compared to the brand's previous generation club (ball flight, impact sound etc...) , and how it performs compare to a competitor or two. I believe this is the criteria consumers are looking for when considering a new purchase. Also, stock shaft information for the club (s) being reviewed is for the most part ignored, and that is a major factor to how the club(s) will play.
On a related subject, it is getting old that so many of the major You Tube guys (TXG, Shiels, AskGolfNut, Newton etc...) fancy themselves as Tour-pro-like ball strikers who "don't want to the ball to go left", so all of their videos conclude with the same favoritism towards the most "player club" offered by the manufacturer. This content rings hollow because when these guys get out of the studio and its simulator , on a golf course they are hitting drives 255 (not 300 yards) and 7-irons 155 (not 180 yards) enroute to shooting 81.

Tact is useful.

It would be nice to see more head to head comparisons in golf club reviews.
What good are head to head comparisons if the type of player doing it is totally different from your swing?

We're all far too unique to gain absolutes out of reviews. I treat them more as expectation setters and opportunities to learn about cool new tech being incorporated.

I'm not really sure what differentiates release articles from reviews. Both seem to include the same information about materials used for construction, internal head weighting, head adjustability etc... For a club release article that manufacturer's information is fine but for a club review I would like to read and, or hear about how the new club compared to the brand's previous generation club (ball flight, impact sound etc...) , and how it performs compare to a competitor or two. I believe this is the criteria consumers are looking for when considering a new purchase. Also, stock shaft information for the club (s) being reviewed is for the most part ignored, and that is a major factor to how the club(s) will play.
On a related subject, it is getting old that so many of the major You Tube guys (TXG, Shiels, AskGolfNut, Newton etc...) fancy themselves as Tour-pro-like ball strikers who "don't want to the ball to go left", so all of their videos conclude with the same favoritism towards the most "player club" offered by the manufacturer. This content rings hollow because when these guys get out of the studio and its simulator , on a golf course they are hitting drives 255 (not 300 yards) and 7-irons 155 (not 180 yards) enroute to shooting 81.
I'm quoting this because you're saying what I believe to be the issue with comparison or absolute equipment reviews. If the commentary is as shallow as whether it worked for one swing, it's not going to benefit the other 99.9% of golfers to read/watch it. This is the reason why I almost never use YouTube as a resource for equipment education because it's rarely a celebration of the tech, and regularly something different.

The goal should be to speak loudly about what the club SHOULD do, and the window it SHOULD play in, for the type of golfer it SHOULD fit.

Reviews tell me the story of why I would want to go to the store and try something out. It doesn't tell me how it compares to the driver I am currently hitting.

Comparison videos are big on YouTube but they are very specific to the person swinging the club. There is also bias in there as they are definitely trying to prove a point. Most people that put out a comparison video have an agenda and it is obvious what it is when you watch. Some are propping up a brand and some are trying to tell you that you don't need to speed money. It really is quite silly sometimes.

If I want to actually compare something I will schedule a fitting. If I want to compare the last 10 drivers from Callaway then I think about how much money I have to spend to make that happen and get over it.
Agendas happen. Everywhere. It’s not always intentional but they are there.

Last edited:
I think the fact that a lot of people get fit for clubs and end up in completely different gear across all brands, shows how one person’s conclusion of “best” does not mean much to the next person, hence comparisons are pretty meaningless when it comes to doing real research on new gear that best fits your game.

I think you sort of made the point when you referenced some of those YT channels. What they look for in clubs and find is best does not resonate or work for everyone.

The goal should be to speak loudly about what the club SHOULD do, and the window it SHOULD play in, for the type of golfer it SHOULD fit.
This is how a club review should be. Throw some pics and some basic numbers off the sim and I’m cool with it. Dan from Canada and I will NEVER play the same clubs (he sucks way less than I do), but I’ve seen him review some that I have been interested in. So when he’s talking about off center hits, low/high on the face, and ball flight/distance on those, I’m paying attention because that’s where my strikes tends to be. To be clear, it’s any reviewer, not just him, that I’m paying attention to dispersion on those off center hits.

I'm quoting this because you're saying what I believe to be the issue with comparison or absolute equipment reviews. If the commentary is as shallow as whether it worked for one swing, it's not going to benefit the other 99.9% of golfers to read/watch it. This is the reason why I almost never use YouTube as a resource for equipment education because it's rarely a celebration of the tech, and regularly something different.

Consider that here at this forum there have been some legendary-iconic clubs enjoyed by what seems like a majority of THP members. For example the famous Cleveland Mashie hybrids. There was probably a 100 plus page thread here which went on for years including testimonials of the high trajectory soft landing shots which that club line produced for so many players. So instead of a theoretical tech story the review (s) were real on course results, which is relevant and useful to consumers shopping for a new club (s).

Agendas happen. Everywhere. It’s not always intentional but they are there.
No doubt. I like the club articles here because it is the facts of what the club is and what the tech is supposed to do.

Consider that here at this forum there have been some legendary-iconic clubs enjoyed by what seems like a majority of THP members. For example the famous Cleveland Mashie hybrids. There was probably a 100 plus page thread here which went on for years including testimonials of the high trajectory soft landing shots which that club line produced for so many players. So instead of a theoretical tech story the review (s) were real on course results, which is relevant and useful to consumers shopping for a new club (s).
The product release articles are at launch and give the details of the product. Once it gets into the forum you have all different kinds of posts on what the clubs did for specific people. There are a ton of clubs that are praised here that I didn't get along with and vice versa. There are a lot of folks that provide launch monitor data and a lot that don't. Also since there are a lot of forum people that have met and played a round or two with each other they get an idea of some people they can take their word for it more than others. I play with a lot of THP guys here in AZ and every range session I get there early to hit other people's clubs. They can hit mine as well. It works out pretty good. The last experience I went to I didn't really hit that many other clubs because there was a strange amount of lefties.

All that being said, the articles at launch can't possibly contain data comparing clubs as sometimes they don't even have the clubs in hand. As a club gets into forum members hands they share info and how it works for them. The nice thing is usually on those long 100+ page threads if you go to page 1 you will see the original article to get what the club was designed for and then if you want you can read through other users feedback.

You and I seem to agree that the forum based threads on these clubs are incredible tools to read how golfers with various swings/skills react to these products.

I look at this as a critical part of the story that needs to be told, and get pumped when THPers feel good enough to share their experiences with a club.

Let me add a secondary element to this, that it's incredibly challenging to introduce a head to head comparison for MOST golfers - because consistently is simply not an easy thin to accomplish, and the added variables often times play a louder role than what the head is doing by direct comparison.

With that in mind, the players that do have repeatable swings aren't going to give you much on club comparisons because their contact is going to be tighter, and effectively, less clear on what performance means for the type of player it is geared toward.

There are SO many variables that go into head comparisons, it's almost frustrating to hear people want them - as they almost always seem to do a disservice if it's not YOUR swing. Trust the law of averages as others get their hands on it and share their opinion over anything, but take advantage of the information that is provided to better understand what the head can do.

It seems like head to head comparisons are better left to individuals. Not sure in what way it could be beneficial to read how others hit a club. If it’s a product like a launch monitor or range finder, that’s different. Just not clubs.

I enjoy the THP reviews as they are and the discussions that follow. And I’m one who never really gave reviews much of a chance previously.

Back