Cobra DARKSPEED Drivers Review

7F5, I’m moving back up in weight at the advice of someone WAY smarter than me hahahaha
Interesting. Why? What reasons?

After reading @Tenputt success with the 9* LS, I saw a LH one at Golf Galaxy. Only needed a few swings to know I’m not a LS guy. Low and ducky lol.

I might grab an X now in 9*, but my Radspeed XB 9* just destroyed both my LTDx 10.5 and Aerojet 10.5 in the sim.

Not sure what to do now. I could stand down and just play the XB but who knows what I’ll do, lol.

After reading @Tenputt success with the 9* LS, I saw a LH one at Golf Galaxy. Only needed a few swings to know I’m not a LS guy. Low and ducky lol.

I might grab an X now in 9*, but my Radspeed XB 9* just destroyed both my LTDx 10.5 and Aerojet 10.5 in the sim.

Not sure what to do now. I could stand down and just play the XB but who knows what I’ll do, lol.
Snoop Dogg GIF by Verzuz

I had a few good drives yesterday, but my iron and wedge game stunk like a dead skunk.

IMG_6488.png

Don’t forget about the adjustability when hitting these. Stock setup at the store may have heavy weight forward. Heavy weight back has seen really good results for alot of folks here.

Don’t forget about the adjustability when hitting these. Stock setup at the store may have heavy weight forward. Heavy weight back has seen really good results for alot of folks here.
True, but if you’re knuckling an LS with it forward, moving it back for 200-300 rpm isnt likely to save that, and even more it likely isn’t worth it when the X is sitting right there.

7F5, I’m moving back up in weight at the advice of someone WAY smarter than me hahahaha
that's what Someone wiser th an me put Me in (7F4)said based on aggressive swing itwould be great fit

that's what Someone wiser th an me put Me in (7F4)said based on aggressive swing itwould be great fit
That wiser man is pretty damn wise!

I’m a long time fan.

That wiser man is pretty damn wise!

I’m a long time fan.
Just have to remember to be aggressive - goes wonky when I try to guide it
I m Still in LTDX but maybe this is the year to go dark

I was finally able to get out and test some drivers… and man oh man….

Tested the AI smoke Max and Triple
Ping G430 LST
Qi 10 standard and LS
And the Darkspeed X and LS in 10.5, 9, and 8 degree head

Quickly eliminated the Qi 10’s from the mix. Beautiful drivers but just not for me.

The PING was nice as well, flew fairly straight, sound wasn’t off putting, and feel was pretty solid. Just couldn’t get it to match the ball speed numbers and spin window of the main contenders.

I rally liked the AI smoke’s… they sound and feel fantastic and I really dig the way they look. I could and would game either option Max or Triple D, but ultimately the Darkspeed was the winner of the day. The LS in 10.5 just launched way too high. The 9 was also hitting a little too high of a window. Then I got handed the 8.0 head and it felt like the heavens opened up….. gorgeous behind the ball, I can’t stop thinking about the shape and sound when the face made contact with the crappy ass range balls being used. Pure bliss… I’ll be putting in an order for the LS 8.0 as soon as I move my TSR3. I really loved that driver, but I know I’m going to love this new one even more!
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was finally able to get out and test some drivers… and man oh man….

Tested the AI smoke Max and Triple
Ping G430 LST
Qi 10 standard and LS
And the Darkspeed X and LS in 10.5, 9, and 8 degree head

Quickly eliminated the Qi 10’s from the mix. Beautiful drivers but just not for me.

The PING was nice as well, flew fairly straight, sound wasn’t off putting, and feel was pretty solid. Just couldn’t get it to match the ball speed numbers and spin window of the main contenders.

I rally liked the AI smoke’s… they sound and feel fantastic and I really dig the way they look. I could and would game either option Max or Triple D, but ultimately the Darkspeed was the winner of the day. The LS in 10.5 just launched way too high. The 9 was also hitting a little too high of a window. Then I got handed the 8.0 head and it felt like the heavens opened up….. gorgeous behind the ball, I can’t stop thinking about the shape and sound when the face made contact with the crappy ass range balls being used. Pure bliss… I’ll be putting in an order for the LS 8.0 as soon as I move my TSR3. I really loved that driver, but I know I’m going to love this new one even more!
giphy.gif

Nice!!! I saw much the same. Qi’s were out quickly because they weren’t quick, then the TD was/is really good, but the DS LS is special.

It really, really is. I’m so damned excited to get this ordered and in my hands. Man, 2024 is going to be a fun year.

It really, really is. I’m so damned excited to get this ordered and in my hands. Man, 2024 is going to be a fun year.

Looking forward to your updates! It’s such a fun driver head.

Had some fun today in a 20 MPH wind today. Played 9 and only missed on fairway and that one was dead into the wind and I left the face a hair open just went a little too far right otherwise I was able to keep it low and swing easy and had some really nice shots to set up good approach. The X was plenty low spin to handle these conditions. Continue to really enjoy this setup.

True, but if you’re knuckling an LS with it forward, moving it back for 200-300 rpm isnt likely to save that, and even more it likely isn’t worth it when the X is sitting right there.
The LS definitely is still in plenty low spin with the heavy weight back.

One of the things that I have always liked about the Cobra heads is that they show impact point on the face better than some of the other heads. This was from warmup before one of my two rounds this weekend. I actually hit one ball on the range with driver before the round and thought to myself, “That’s good. I am ready to go.”

IMG_6489.jpeg

One of the things that I have always liked about the Cobra heads is that they show impact point on the face better than some of the other heads. This was from warmup before one of my two rounds this weekend. I actually hit one ball on the range with driver before the round and thought to myself, “That’s good. I am ready to go.”

View attachment 9247751
That’s something I’ve noticed after moving over from a Stelath2. Could never really see very well on the carbon faces. The Darkspeed I can almost always see ball mark.

Alas, it also shows tee marks much more.

This weekend I went on a roadtrip down to Southern Utah and played two rounds. As a fun experiment, I decided to play a two driver bag, eliminating my 3 wood. In the driver spot, I had the Darkspeed LS. In the 3 wood spot, I had another OEM, higher moi-type head. My plan was to use the other driver on tighter driving holes and the Darkspeed on the more wide open holes and on the holes where I needed the extra distance.

The first round started after sitting in the car for the four hour drive. I still had some time on the range before the round and it seemed like I was hitting both drivers fine, but for some reason, I kind of struggled all day on the course with all of my clubs. It was one of those rounds where, looking back, I was not swinging with real intent, not shifting my weight back and then through my downswing. It was kind of an “armsy“ swing all day. I hit one really good drive with the Darkspeed LS, but otherwise struggled with it quite a bit, if I am honest. The other driver was down the middle all day long. At the end of the round, Shot Scope had my driving averages at 265 for the Darkspeed LS and 267 for the other driver. I shot 83. It was only the second round of golf in months and it really showed.

The second round, I did not feel as rushed to get going. There was a frost delay. I had plenty of time to loosen up. While hitting shots on the range pre-round, I really focused on a good weight shift and and extension in both my back swing and follow through. My swing felt totally different, much better. I ended up shooting a 79, but hit 9/14 fairways and had 12 GIR (36 putts for the round killed me). It really was a night and day difference with my ball striking. With a better swing, it was as if the Darkspeed LS came alive. I could not get my Shot Scope to work and abandoned it after two holes, so I don’t have average distances, but it was obvious that the Darkspeed LS was giving me a good 10 yards or more distance. The more interesting thing, though, is how much straighter the Darkspeed was than the other driver for the second round. By the back 9, I stopped hitting the other driver, because the Darkspeed LS was performing better in every way.

I don’t know if I will maintain the two driver bag for the year. I am going to experiment some more, but this experiment over the weekend indicated to me that at least when I am swinging well, there is no need to not have full confidence in the LS head. If I am not swinging well or not fully committing to my swing, I would struggle with it much more than with a higher MOI head.

That’s something I’ve noticed after moving over from a Stelath2. Could never really see very well on the carbon faces. The Darkspeed I can almost always see ball mark.

Magic eraser.

Battle scars haha

The DS LS and LIN-Q M40X Red 7F5 yesterday showed some INSANE promise. I’m getting more ball speed by going heavier…this is why I should trust people that know things. Hahaha

I was able to compare both my ST-Z 220 vs the DS LS this weekend, both on my sim in the garage as well as at xgolf with my brother. The DS easily beat out the Mizuno, and it wasn't even close. I have only seen 150 ballspeed with the Mizuno once, and I was able to do it several times with the LS (actually touched 160mph as well!) The more aggressive I swung the DS, the more confident I got with it. With the Mizuno, I felt like when I got aggressive, that's when I see the high launch/high spin show up. Not a problem with the Darkspeed LS. I was living around 14-16 launch, 25-2600 spin and ballspeed was probably up on avg 10mph more than the Mizuno. I'm sure some of that is the Linq white shaft is a better fit for me than the Tensei blue in the Mizuno. This thing feels amazing and I love the more compact head shape. I tested all weight positions and had the best results with the heavy weigh in forward neutral, can't wait to get out on the course with it!

Back