Cobra DARKSPEED Irons

In hand I maintain this is one of the best finishes on this segment of irons
Agree whole heartedly here, was hoping for a black finish with the name but these look so good it didn’t matter.

Well on a whim today I ordered some one length darkspeeds today. I have been thinking one length for a while and with these just launching it was an easy choice. Can't wait to try the switch. Just makes sense in my mind to learn one swing length/plane for my irons

Well on a whim today I ordered some one length darkspeeds today. I have been thinking one length for a while and with these just launching it was an easy choice. Can't wait to try the switch. Just makes sense in my mind to learn one swing length/plane for my irons
Great choice! Do post your thoughts in the One Length thread when you've gotten them.

Still comparing these to the T350's - pretty much same specs but can't control loft differences. They are feeling better than my first couple sessions but a new concern after watching a video showing that the irons appearance takes a hit after hitting a lot and rattling around in your bag. I haven't seen that yet, but will hit a few hundred more shots and see if the face shows it. Only able to hit them indoor due to weather.

Only have a 7i for comparison and the feel is definitely addicting. Distance is more comparable to the T350 now that I've gotten accustomed to it. Of course, they are stronger lofted, but the face is definitely smaller than the T350's, which now look "BIG" to me.

Went for a full bag fitting today and my Darkspeed irons recommendation from the fitter came out to be 6 - GW Darkspeed 2 degrees flat 1 degree strong, -1/4" in length. Started out hitting my irons to get a baseline, then went to the Darkspeed where the fitter immediately went to the 2 degrees flat which corrected my going left problem. Hitting a number of 7 irons I was consistently flying them around 145 yards, which my AJ's I would say were my 135 - 140 yard club last year, so a solid increase. Fitter recommend going 1 degree strong to get the launch down a touch. Absolutely love the look and feel of these. We were talking about my current setup which is the 6-GW in one length and he agreed that I don't have the speed to do the 6 iron, and the extra length of the regular 6 iron would work out great for it. Really fun day, and can't wait til it's time to order for the Morgan Cup.

Went for a full bag fitting today and my Darkspeed irons recommendation from the fitter came out to be 6 - GW Darkspeed 2 degrees flat 1 degree strong, -1/4" in length. Started out hitting my irons to get a baseline, then went to the Darkspeed where the fitter immediately went to the 2 degrees flat which corrected my going left problem. Hitting a number of 7 irons I was consistently flying them around 145 yards, which my AJ's I would say were my 135 - 140 yard club last year, so a solid increase. Fitter recommend going 1 degree strong to get the launch down a touch. Absolutely love the look and feel of these. We were talking about my current setup which is the 6-GW in one length and he agreed that I don't have the speed to do the 6 iron, and the extra length of the regular 6 iron would work out great for it. Really fun day, and can't wait til it's time to order for the Morgan Cup.
Love that setup. Solid distance increase!

That's a solid showing for what a good fitter can do for irons too with the lie adjustment.

Will be great to see you hit the greens with DS, if that's what you end up going to.

Do they ever make their woods in one length?
It wouldn’t be possible to have woods that short and gain speed. Hybrids are possible

Dumb question but when you say the fitter went to 2 degrees flat is that just a setting they can adjust with a fitting iron? With woods the adjustable hosels I know about, just wasn’t sure about the irons.

Dumb question but when you say the fitter went to 2 degrees flat is that just a setting they can adjust with a fitting iron? With woods the adjustable hosels I know about, just wasn’t sure about the irons.
Most fitters with Cobra heads have the standard lie, 2 deg upright, and 2 deg flat heads/setting that they can use

I’m honestly not sure. He watched me hit my clubs while we talked about my game and when he handed me the Darkspeed iron to try he said that he had it at 2 degrees flat, so I’m. Not sure if it’s a setting on the fitting head, or if he has multiple heads in the fitting cart.

I just booked a full fitting with Golf Tec for 2/23. I am hoping, since I'll be only hitting Cobra offerings, that they might allow me to hit more than just driver or just irons on that day. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm excited nonetheless! Swing is currently in a much better place than it was the day I first got to swing Darkspeed. Man, I can hardly wait.

Most fitters with Cobra heads have the standard lie, 2 deg upright, and 2 deg flat heads/setting that they can use
Did not know they had that ability on fittings. Good to know.

I’m honestly not sure. He watched me hit my clubs while we talked about my game and when he handed me the Darkspeed iron to try he said that he had it at 2 degrees flat, so I’m. Not sure if it’s a setting on the fitting head, or if he has multiple heads in the fitting cart.
Typically they have a few different heads in the fitting cart as well as adjustable hosel settings from what I've seen to give them a range of settings

Also fun fact which VERY much surprised me when looking at these irons. You can order from Cobra up to 4* Flat/Up....I'm not sure I've seen that in this type of iron before and found it pretty interesting...especially because they are so upright to begin with.

I switched to darkspeeds from Srixon zx5 mk2's. I am an alright golfer but never realized how much a game-improvement iron helps. My shots have less curve(workability if I was good enough to do that) but the dispersion is much closer for me. I have a BLP and the spin axis is significantly less with the darkspeeds compared to zx5's.

I was itching to try one-length irons and was sold within the first day of receiving them.

New to the forum and just wanted to add my thoughts on the Darkspeed irons. I started playing about two years ago and game the LTDx one length (4-SW, R flex, Steel Shaft). I'm a mid-handicap and play a lot of golf (short game needs attention), I also spend a lot of time trying new and used golf equipment. First, the LTDx are great irons IMO, forgiving, long and durable (they still look great after playing a ridiculous number of rounds that my handicap doesn't reflect). I was thinking about an upgrade so I've been trying a lot of different irons including standard length. My original thought was to stick with one length and move to the Aerojets (Darkspeeds weren't released yet) but after trying them I didn't feel I would gain much over the LTDx. I also have a craving for a "forged feel" after hitting some high end forged irons. Then the Darkspeeds are released. First thing I notice is the head is smaller than the LTDx and Aerojets which is interesting for a game improvement iron. I spent some quality time hitting the Darkspeed 7 iron (steel shaft) and can honestly say, I was very impressed. I was on a simulator and I didn't compare it head to head with my LTDx but the trajectory and distance appear to be higher and longer. I used "appear" because I feel the true test is on the course and again, I didn't compare it to my LTDx 7 iron on the simulator. The true "wow factor" to me was in the sound and feel. Understanding that sound and feel are a personal preference, but to me, the sound and feel is awesome. I also felt the forgiveness was noticeably better. My off center strikes felt and sounded the pretty much the same as pured shots and the performance was barely hindered. The looks of the Darkspeed as also fantastic. Unlike the LTDx and Aerojet, the back of head in the 4-7 irons is barley if at all noticeable at address.

Just a quick note on the Darkspeed driver. I have not hit it yet and I game a Radspeed driver which I think is awesome. The two things I absolutely love about the Radspeed (LTDx as well) driver is the rough face overwrap (if you will) onto the front of the crown to eliminate the dreaded dummy marks and the color of the face to show where the ball hit the face after each drive. The Darkspeed doesn't appear to have the wrap onto the crown and not sure what the face strike will show.

New to the forum and just wanted to add my thoughts on the Darkspeed irons. I started playing about two years ago and game the LTDx one length (4-SW, R flex, Steel Shaft). I'm a mid-handicap and play a lot of golf (short game needs attention), I also spend a lot of time trying new and used golf equipment. First, the LTDx are great irons IMO, forgiving, long and durable (they still look great after playing a ridiculous number of rounds that my handicap doesn't reflect). I was thinking about an upgrade so I've been trying a lot of different irons including standard length. My original thought was to stick with one length and move to the Aerojets (Darkspeeds weren't released yet) but after trying them I didn't feel I would gain much over the LTDx. I also have a craving for a "forged feel" after hitting some high end forged irons. Then the Darkspeeds are released. First thing I notice is the head is smaller than the LTDx and Aerojets which is interesting for a game improvement iron. I spent some quality time hitting the Darkspeed 7 iron (steel shaft) and can honestly say, I was very impressed. I was on a simulator and I didn't compare it head to head with my LTDx but the trajectory and distance appear to be higher and longer. I used "appear" because I feel the true test is on the course and again, I didn't compare it to my LTDx 7 iron on the simulator. The true "wow factor" to me was in the sound and feel. Understanding that sound and feel are a personal preference, but to me, the sound and feel is awesome. I also felt the forgiveness was noticeably better. My off center strikes felt and sounded the pretty much the same as pured shots and the performance was barely hindered. The looks of the Darkspeed as also fantastic. Unlike the LTDx and Aerojet, the back of head in the 4-7 irons is barley if at all noticeable at address.

Just a quick note on the Darkspeed driver. I have not hit it yet and I game a Radspeed driver which I think is awesome. The two things I absolutely love about the Radspeed (LTDx as well) driver is the rough face overwrap (if you will) onto the front of the crown to eliminate the dreaded dummy marks and the color of the face to show where the ball hit the face after each drive. The Darkspeed doesn't appear to have the wrap onto the crown and not sure what the face strike will show.
Good feedback. Im sure with people excited about this lineup for both purchase and the Morgan Cup (every participant gets a full set) the more feedback the better.

So I hit the 8 iron today for about 50 balls. Im seeing really good stuff out of this lineup and I like it more than the AeroJet (which I liked). I am getting almost a full degree of higher launch, which is welcome and it is giving me a bit more distance. This is only the 8 iron so far, but I was impressed.

I cannot say enough good things about the looks though. Man they nailed the finish.

I’ve spent a few sessions with the Darkspeed 6 iron and am really impressed. The finish is amazing in hand, and it has plenty of forgiveness built in. I have used every bit of the face of this iron and it just performs. The sweet spot definitely seems to creep out more towards the toe which is perfect for me cause that is my main miss on irons, just a bit towards the toe side, but when I go there with these irons I’m seeing and feeling like a center face shot. It handles thin well losing some height. After experimenting with the AJ one length last year and realizing I didn’t have the speed to differentiate between the 6 and 7 hitting the Darkspeed 6 iron has me thinking the 6-GW setup will work for me in regular length this year.

Maybe its just me but these don't seem to be getting a lot of attention or discussion.I'm very curious as to why. I haven't tested them myself yet but I will soon.

Maybe its just me but these don't seem to be getting a lot of attention or discussion.I'm very curious as to why. I haven't tested them myself yet but I will soon.
I just filmed a short segment for social on these. I think they are some of the best in class this year. Priced solidly with others, look fantastic. Ball screams of the face for me, and I am getting nearly a full degree more launch angle (which is good for me being steeper) than the AeroJet.

I know some will not even look at these being a “Game Improvement“ iron because they don’t want a thick top line. I have not compared these to other lines besides the Aerojet but the 6 iron I have I love. The finish is amazing, it is not an overly large iron to my eye, and the performance is there. This set should definitely get a look for those checking out new irons.

I know some will not even look at these being a “Game Improvement“ iron because they don’t want a thick top line. I have not compared these to other lines besides the Aerojet but the 6 iron I have I love. The finish is amazing, it is not an overly large iron to my eye, and the performance is there. This set should definitely get a look for those checking out new irons.
In some cases I don't think the "game improvement" part is the problem. When I saw them I didn't find them to be large at all and to be fair neither were the Aerojet really, not for the tech packed in there. I just think they just don't strike the fancy of many internet golfers haha

Back