Cobra KING F6 Fairways and Hybrids Preview

Alex how does this hybo compare to the TEE EX 9? Or the J15? The adjustability really appeals to me here and I'm thinking about switching out my 5h.

I'm playing mine in the 2h slot which replaces my 3W and it is a huge upgrade for me compared to that club both off the tee and the deck.

The club is heavier to me than either the TEE or J15.

As for hybrid performance comparison since regional rivalry the EX9 has been the best club for me off the tee in distance/dispersion and the J15 has been the best off the deck.

I'm still working through the learning curve and it's performance to get it up to speed like the others

I got the 3/4 fairway head a few weeks ago and finally got the stock Q4 shaft in it and MAN… Took it to the range today and I love hitting it so far. I got a lot of lead tape on my old 3 and 5 woods and surprised how heavy the head felt when I put the shaft in the F6. Might add a little more tape but probably not necessary. I have it set to 16*. I plan on picking up the 3/4 hybrid soon. Again only one session but I really like the "towering" flight, not as high as I expected.

Lots of chatter in the thread on the hybrids, but what's the thought on the fairways?

It seems like they are a very forgiving and good performing option for those who don't want a huge head. Some of the fairways that have been released in the past 4-5 years are just too big for my tastes, but then some of the smaller footprint ones aren't as forgiving. This one really seems like it might sit in the middle size wise yet be forgiving.

Could it be a unicorn?

Well obviously I love it. I have the 3/4 cranked up to 16. I cut the shaft down to 42.25" and its easily the most controllable fairway I have ever gamed. I am ashamed to admit that it sat in my backup bag for a couple of months because I didn't think it was going to work for me.

It's forgiving, just wants to go straight, and goes pretty darn far for me. It's also a very easy - IMO - club to hit off of the deck. At some point I may grab a 7/9W to replace my 4H if the gapping works out.

I will second it being very easy to hit off the deck. One more thing I have to say is I have been hitting almost EVERYTHING right lately. Again I'm playing this in 16*, closing the face and I actually got the ball to go left… At the beginning (first few swings, and others here and there) WAY left which was very interesting to me. A little adjusting and getting used to, and got it to mainly go straight, left, sometimes right. Can't wait to hit it more.

My F6 3/4 just came in. It's a larger head than what I have been gaming recently. Already set it up to 16 degrees, wieght in the towering setting. I'm hoping the launch is similar to my Tight Lies Ti. I'm thinking there should be some benefit on misshits with the larger profile. It is still shallow compared to most three woods. Will update once I get a few swings in.

A couple quick pics of it compared to the TI

0b527e06b9e567ed675638d7131286bd.jpg

5eb8d830689c9f7d853fcb2d67259042.jpg

Yeah, I know...cute mat

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Is it just the photo or is the Ti really that much shallower than the F6?

Is it just the photo or is the Ti really that much shallower than the F6?

Some of it may be the photo but there is definitely a difference. The F6 isn't deep imo; the Ti is really shallow.

Some of it may be the photo but there is definitely a difference. The F6 isn't deep imo; the Ti is really shallow.
I agree the F6 is not tall by any means. Have a 3/4 and 5/6 currently. Thats why i asked if it was juts the pic since that would make the Ti so shallow. lol

I really like the TI. It's not the most forgiving on off center hits, but it really gets the ball up in the air quickly. It looks and sounds great as well.

I have had 2 more range sessions with my F6 3/4 FW and am getting more and more comfortable with it.
First things first, I have it set up at 16 degrees loft weight set to towering.

20160722_105802_zpsj4m0ewfr.jpg
20160722_105741_zpsqgk38tvz.jpg

Second range trip I used it exclusively off a short tee. The ball marks were right around the middle of the face, so noticeably higher than my hits off the mats. This last range trip I hit it off the mat only. The weird thing is I don't see much variance in the apex of the ball flight. There is some real tech here. I'm seeing mid-high flights with little roll, probably carrying around the 195-205 mark. I haven't had a chance to game it yet, but I think that is accurate. There was a flag set up at 193 and good hits were flying it consistently. I didn't see a ton of roll out. I'm shocked because I typically see more of a line drive from past 3 woods.

I want to play it at this configuration and maybe later on mess around with moving the weight to the penetrating position.

For those interested in the wear, this pic makes it look worse than it really is. I can only see a few specs on the face but with the flash a few more showed.

20160722_105706_zps74llgsiy.jpg

It's a black face so I expect it to wear. As long as the crown stays clean I'm good.

My only dislike right now is the headcover. I'm used to gaming the OEM headcover and this one fits really snug. Also it's easy to not jam in it all the way and then it resembles me trying to fit into the size 31s I could wear a year ago.

20160722_105602_zpsonnywij2.jpg

I have had 2 more range sessions with my F6 3/4 FW and am getting more and more comfortable with it. First things first, I have it set up at 16 degrees loft weight set to towering.

Second range trip I used it exclusively off a short tee. The ball marks were right around the middle of the face, so noticeably higher than my hits off the mats. This last range trip I hit it off the mat only. The weird thing is I don't see much variance in the apex of the ball flight. There is some real tech here. I'm seeing mid-high lights with very little roll, probably carrying around the 195-205 mark. I haven't had a chance to game it yet, but I think that is accurate. There was a flag set up at 193 and good hits were flying it consistently. I didn't see a ton of roll out. I'm shocked because I typically see more of a line drive from past 3 woods.

I want to play it at this configuration and maybe later on mess around with moving the weight to the penetrating position.

For those interested in the wear, this pic makes it look worse than it really is. I can only see a few specs on the face but with the flash a few more showed.

It's a black face so I expect it to wear. As long as the crown stays clean I'm good.

My only dislike right now is the headcover. I'm used to gaming the OEM headcover and this one fits really snug. Also it's easy to not jam in it all the way and then it resembles me trying to fit into the size 31s I could wear a year ago.

Nice thoughts, how do you like the shaft and how does it compare to your old FWY wood?

Personally, shaft weight is much more important to me than the flex. I play a Red Tie stiff in my driver, which is stouter than this and other shafts I've had in my other 3 woods. For the last maybe 3-4 years I've been gaming a 5 wood with a VooDoo Stiff. I really don't see a drop off in distance switching between Reg and Stiff. When I try a shaft that is too light it's real easy for me to get quick and quick ugly hooks appear though. The 67-72 grams this shaft is offered in is right in my preferred range.

The 65Q4 for me feels smooth and stable and plays true to flex, maybe even slightly firm but I think more aggressive swingers should and will veer towards a stiffer shaft.

As for a direct comparison over my last 3wood (an Adams Ti with a Rogue Reg flex)... so far I think I'm getting a higher flight with the F6 which surprises me. Off the tee it is much more confidence inspiring and can see myself benefiting from 5-10 extra yards. Distance from the turf right now appears to be about equal. There is a big difference in ball speed retention across the face though. The Speed Channel in this and the Fly Z hybo really made me a believer.

Yep, nice thoughts obedt, and I ditched the OEM headcover before it even got on course.

My only criticism of Cobra is that the F6 headcovers are horrid.

Just picked up the f6 3 wood. Solid 235 distance for me and straight as an arrow. Good feeling stock shaft. I'm going to enjoy spending more time with it. If I can keep averaging that i probably will not hit driver all that often. Plus that 235 was off the deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just picked up the f6 3 wood. Solid 235 distance for me and straight as an arrow. Good feeling stock shaft. I'm going to enjoy spending more time with it. If I can keep averaging that i probably will not hit driver all that often. Plus that 235 was off the deck.

235 off the deck is more than solid!

Did you play around with the settings or leave it stock?

235 off the deck is more than solid!

Did you play around with the settings or leave it stock?

I had started about 14 (might be 14.5) and had good success. Didn't tinker around to much after that.

Picked up the hybrid last week based on that I liked the feel of the Fly-Z and this was supposed to be easy to launch etc, but still no draw bias, which is exactly what I wanted. First round was...I dont think disaster is too strong of a word. Second round was better, but I did hook it quite a bit. Then a friend told me that could be because of the lie angle, I should try to grip it down. Now I hit it straight as an arrow when I need to, by gripping down a bit, and if I use it from the tee I know it will be straight or go a bit right (I play lefthanded) and wow, it is a weapon from the tee, as long as I have a bit of room on the right side. I hit it around 250 yards from the tee at 21.5*, its the 3/4 version. From the deck is a little shorter because I try to not swing fully and as I said, I grip down a bit, but it fills the 220-230 yard slot perfectly and is straight as an arrow when I do that. Stock shaft feels very nice, I can really recommend this club. Really makes me want to try the fairway woods and drivers too, especially drivers since I am in the market for a new one.

On a whim, I picked up a F6 5/6 FW to try. I looked at the head CG charts and it honestly seemed to be the best CG position for what I personally need, so I figured it was worth a try.

I never even even took it to the range and instead went straight to the course. I've got about a half dozen rounds in with it and have formed an initial opinion:
- Paint and finish quality is top notch. I think Cobra is the best of the big 5 on this.
- The 5/6 is ~ 160 CC which is exactly the size I like. It's not too big but not too small either.
- I have it set at 17.5 in the draw setting with the weight back. It's effectively a 4w.
- While most of my other clubs go straight or right to left, my FWs are often OTT with the bad miss being right. I feel like there's some help provided by the draw setting and the CG position.
- Sounds awesome. Not a ting, more of a twack.
- High launching. Today I cleared a large pine tree from the deck. For me, that's a very high shot out of a 4w.
- Very forgiving with respect to ball speed retention even on heel side hits.
- Very stable head on mishits.
- I've not put this on my monitor, but I wouldn't call it a bomber, at least not in this setting. It's more of a forgiving setup that generates a lot of carry, but doesn't really roll out much. There are longer FWs out there, just based on what I see on the GPS.
- Head cover sucks. It looks great but doesn't fit well. Cobra missed on the sizing.

All in all, it is a very well rounded and forgiving FW, particulalry for one in the medium sized footprint. It's definitely more of a GI footprint but it has the forgiveness of a SGI FW. It's been good enough that I recently sold my old reliable FWs that had been the incumbents for two seasons.

Cobra seemingly has a winner...

What makes a fairway gi vs sgi?

Just using some Cobra releases recently:
- SGI: Cobra Baffler XL Offset
- GI: F6

If one can't tell the difference between these two, then they probably don't believe there's much difference in this whole golf equipment thing...

Just using some Cobra releases recently:
- SGI: Cobra Baffler XL Offset
- GI: F6

If one can't tell the difference between these two, then they probably don't believe there's much difference in this whole golf equipment thing...

I understand the classification, you mentioned this club has the forgiveness of a "sgi" and I'm curious what that means?

Oddly enough I think there can be a difference.

I wouldn't say the 815 FW or Bio Cell+ is a GI fairway. Then I look at some of what Cobra has done in the past with larger offset heads with more draw weighting and classify them as more SGI category.

Back