Cobra KING F6 Fairways and Hybrids Preview

I understand the classification, you mentioned this club has the forgiveness of a "sgi" and I'm curious what that means?
I hate those terms, I know you do as well.

I gamed mine for the first time Thursday. I didn't have my best swing so it's tough to give too much detail off of just one round. Played it three times off the tee, and got predictable distance on the 2 good hits I had. I'm playing a slight fade off the driver and the ball flight was very similar with this off the tee.

I also tried it off the turf. Off ridiculous lies I got equally ridiculous results, but it is easy to elevate from the fairway - easier than most FWs I have gamed. I hit a push that went a typical distance for me (~205). I checked out the face of the club and the mark was well off the toe. Seems to be very forgiving on that side of the face.

I agree that I get a higher ball flight and consider this to give about the distance I expected. I wouldn't classify this as a bomber so far (just one round) but it isn't short either.

What makes a fairway gi vs sgi?

Many factors to me. But mainly ease of use is what it boils down to. As mentioned above you could have two 160cc heads that can be radically different in design.

SGI would likely have a higher launching shaft vs a lower launch. A slightly offset or closed face vs open. A weighting that was rear and low vs forward and high. Shallower face vs a taller face which usually leads to a more stretched out design than a boxier one.

There are Probably more differences between a players design and SGI than GI and SGI but those are my takeaways.

I play the G SF Tec which most would say falls into the SGI realm. I demod it against the normal G Fairway (likely in the GI) category. For me the SF Tec was a much easier club to launch, hit straight and hit more consistently. That means it's easier for me to use.

Some solid feedback guys.

Been using my 2h pretty consistently, it's been a fantastic off the tee club and fairway finder.

I'm still struggling to get it working for me off the deck but that's more me than anything.

Such a great club, i think the only thing i don't like about it is the stock red tie shaft, i think I would do better with another option

Many factors to me. But mainly ease of use is what it boils down to. As mentioned above you could have two 160cc heads that can be radically different in design.

SGI would likely have a higher launching shaft vs a lower launch. A slightly offset or closed face vs open. A weighting that was rear and low vs forward and high. Shallower face vs a taller face which usually leads to a more stretched out design than a boxier one.

There are Probably more differences between a players design and SGI than GI and SGI but those are my takeaways.

I play the G SF Tec which most would say falls into the SGI realm. I demod it against the normal G Fairway (likely in the GI) category. For me the SF Tec was a much easier club to launch, hit straight and hit more consistently. That means it's easier for me to use.

I feel like the F6 is a poor man's SFTec. This isn't meant as slight on the Cobra, because I actually think it looks and sounds better and has a footprint that I prefer (particulaly off the deck). It's just that if you want forgiveness, high launch and some help squaring the club face, these two seem to play very similalrly, but the Cobra can be had for considerably less.

Man a players fairway must be radically different then in terms of how hard it is to hit. Never heard of GI anything being "open".

It's why these categories have no merit in my opinion anymore. Designers have done a brilliant job of blending designs and elements from every segment, just as low spin doesn't mean unforgiving because the ball can only spin on a single axis.

The weighting part would surprise you...

Last edited:
Man a players fairway must be radically different then in terms of how hard it is to hit. Never heard of GI anything being "open".

And I would check the weighting on fairway woods. The differences might surprise you.
Weighting is huge, as you know, and the line has definitely blurred.
The alpha 816 can be pigeonholed into the "players" category, yet IIRC switch the weights around and it is the highest MOI 3w that callaway offers.... and pretty darn easy for this hacker to hit ;)

What do you think JB?

Weighting is huge, as you know, and the line has definitely blurred.
The alpha 816 can be pigeonholed into the "players" category, yet IIRC switch the weights around and it is the highest MOI 3w that callaway offers.... and pretty darn easy for this hacker to hit ;)

What do you think JB?

Perfect example.
Then add how many fairway wood designs offer a CG that is closer to the face than people think and it's odd to hear a game improvement club described as a smaller footprint and open face at setup.

Ddec and I just had a rather lengthy MOI discussion with someone from the industry last week. Content coming soon.

On a related note. We spent time at Cobra and they are excited to meet THPers in a couple of months at the event in the Midwest and yes they will have gear and knowledge ready.

Perfect example.
Then add how many fairway wood designs offer a CG that is closer to the face than people think and it's odd to hear a game improvement club described as a smaller footprint and open face at setup.
Do you think that the 'face open' thing is becoming a bit of a misnomer too? It seems most major companies are offering adjustable hosels on FWs nowadays, so it seems you can have the face angle nearly anyway you want it at address.

Do you think that the 'face open' thing is becoming a bit of a misnomer too? It seems most major companies are offering adjustable hosels on FWs nowadays, so it seems you can have the face angle nearly anyway you want it at address.

Personally? Yes. Although many of Cobra's offerings go from neutral to closed, rather than allowing for Open, but its such an easy fix as it pertains to squaring the club face with additional weight if one wants to.

Definitely had an off day today, but the one club that I'm getting more and more comfortable with was the 3/4 FW. Didn't hit a bad shot with it today (by my standards), with this. First par 5 I was 220 out and missed the green just short left, which gave me a very good angle to the pin. Later I hit one fat that still cut through the turf and flew 180 - much longer than I deserved. I don't consider it a bad shot since I was laying up after a bad tee shot on a par 5 and this still left me 120 to the pin. The last hole, a 500 yard par 5 I had 70 left after a decent FW off the tee and a very good second with it.

It's very forgiving. It's tough to perceive when I miss the center. The feel is pretty consistent - more than I'm used to.

Agree..I just picked up the 3/4 w a few weeks back and I found myself extremely comfortable almost immediately...fits the eye well and seems to have a really hot face.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Finally played the F6 fairway on Saturday. Must say, it's right up there along with the XR16 as my favorite of the year. Super easy to hit from the fairway and rough. Found the XR to be a little lower launching from the tee box, but this higher from the fairway.

Either which way, sort of sad that I waited this long to give it a try because I ended up loving it.

I'm having a love hate relationship with my 2 hybrid right now. It loves to hate me, I feel like i have improvement off the deck with it, but where I was money with it when I got it, off the tee, I've lost that and i'm hitting a ton of hooks. Definitely need to work it out.

Finally played the F6 fairway on Saturday. Must say, it's right up there along with the XR16 as my favorite of the year. Super easy to hit from the fairway and rough. Found the XR to be a little lower launching from the tee box, but this higher from the fairway.

Either which way, sort of sad that I waited this long to give it a try because I ended up loving it.
Still loving my 3/4 fairway, and I'm glad I followed JB's advice and grabbed the Grafalloy Boost shaft for it. It's a legit option for me off the tee and the deck. I'm now at the point where I'm comfortable grabbing a fairway to tee up some of the narrower holes, and getting myself as close as I possibly can on my second shot of longer par 5's ... and on the shorter par 5's, I now push it to see if I can get on the green in two and snag my first eagle.

I'm having a love hate relationship with my 2 hybrid right now. It loves to hate me, I feel like i have improvement off the deck with it, but where I was money with it when I got it, off the tee, I've lost that and i'm hitting a ton of hooks. Definitely need to work it out.

Take this comment w/ a grain of salt since we haven't played before. It's just that you point out issues off the tee every now and then, and I don't think that for a 2 hybrid you should be ok with it off the deck but struggle off the tee. If that were the issue you could just not tee it up and play it off the deck even from the box. The ball and club won't know it's on the tee box and not in the FW.

Sometimes we let stuff get in our head and it affects our swing... you may be getting a little quick w/ the hands when you step on the tee box. If that's the case I don't think a club change would help. Again, I'm a complete stranger it's just that I've had every miss known and most of them start up top for me. It may not apply for you Alex.

My 4hybrid is money... not quite the distance beast of the old Adams XTD Ti, but more workable

Just picked up the 5-6 FW on a lark. Blue of course, because they look awesome. Will be putting it head to head against my 816 to see which I like better.

Just picked up the 5-6 FW on a lark. Blue of course, because they look awesome. Will be putting it head to head against my 816 to see which I like better.

Man, kinda dead in here. 816 ended up winning out. Just didn't like the feel of the F6 for me. Distance was on point, but just couldn't get comfortable with it.

It's still chilling in my spare clubs bag, but not sure it will get another shot as the 816 has been solid for me here lately.

Man, kinda dead in here. 816 ended up winning out. Just didn't like the feel of the F6 for me. Distance was on point, but just couldn't get comfortable with it.

It's still chilling in my spare clubs bag, but not sure it will get another shot as the 816 has been solid for me here lately.

F6 is definitely fading out, is becoming a good value though! How much better really is one release cycle? Probably not much.

Dave

F6 is definitely fading out, is becoming a good value though! How much better really is one release cycle? Probably not much.

Dave

F6 to f7 was a pretty big change in design, no? I think The rails are a big change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Late to the party as usual when it comes to my purchases, but my F6 arrived a few days ago and am hoping to get it out on the range today during my lunch break. I have been hitting my 3deep pretty well but I am hoping to see more forgiveness from the F6 on mishits The adjustable weight option will be fun to tinker with.

Late to the party as usual when it comes to my purchases, but my F6 arrived a few days ago and am hoping to get it out on the range today during my lunch break. I have been hitting my 3deep pretty well but I am hoping to see more forgiveness from the F6 on mishits The adjustable weight option will be fun to tinker with.

Nice; what set-up did you purchase? I think you'll like the forgiveness this provides.

Nice; what set-up did you purchase? I think you'll like the forgiveness this provides.

Went with the 3-4 FW with a HZRDUS Black 75.

Had a fun range session with the F6 even though it was mats only. I really like how the F6 frames the ball at setup with the Cobra emblem on the crown and markings on the face, which make it easy to get the ball centered. It appears deeper than I expected, which is good because I feel more comfortable with deeper faced fairways. I didn't mess with the weights because I didn't have a ton of time so I left it in the towering position. Ball flight was high at 14.5, which was good to see and it didn't look like it was ballooning. I changed the setting to draw as that is how I my F6+ set at, but saw too much right to left movement. I will agree on the forgiveness, as I didn't have any bad misses and the misses I did have were pulls.

Speaking of the F6+, the F6 fairway's sound/feel is miles better than the driver, just about ideal from what I would want from a FW.

Back