Cobra KING F8: Face Milling and Rickie Fowler

Great info, I was a bit curious as to what exact benefits I can expect to see with a face like this. Love hearing what they're saying and my testing so far has been very positive. I can't wait to get a new F8 in my bag for 2018!

from Cobra's website
KING F8 TOUR LENGTH DRIVER
Inspired by Rickie Fowler’s driver used on tour, the KING F8 Tour Length Driver features a shorter, 44.5” shaft, and is equipped with 16g and 6g weights (compared to 12g and 2g in the standard KING F8) to help golfers achieve straighter and more accurate drives down the fairway.

If they know this is straighter and more accurate why isn't this the standard delivered to the masses? Instead we get, here's close but if you actually want what you are expecting to begin with, fork out some more money?

It may sound like I'm bashing but that's not the case, I'm just asking.

They are the same price on the website.

Very interesting details in this interview. I honestly had no idea that there could be that much variation in driver faces. The line about wanting the driver from the demo day really caught my attention. This really shows how invested Cobra is in their R&D and that the face milling really works. Ponder, reengaged.

They are the same price on the website.

Thanks pjleduc. Obviously I hadn't checked the price. I just figured it would be higher going by my thought before Marty gave his thoughts on head speed.

Thanks pjleduc. Obviously I hadn't checked the price. I just figured it would be higher going by my thought before Marty gave his thoughts on head speed.

Yeah, I just figured I would throw that out there. All three versions are listed as $399

Can't ever go wrong with tighter tolerances! I love how that CNC Milled face looks in person as well.
Just something unique in the driver world right now that really performs!

great video, but would Jose say that this is a unicorn on the matirx? :alien:

Really interesting interview. The CNC milling on the face is very cool that it gets everything much tighter in tolerances and it showed with Ricky's fitting. Immediate validation with a W and a great price point makes this very competitive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nice video! I'm scheduled for a fitting Feb 9th; really looking forward to it...

Another excellent video packed full of info.

Can't ever go wrong with tighter tolerances! I love how that CNC Milled face looks in person as well.

I gotta think that it won't be too long before all drivers (& probably all clubs in general) are CNC milled to get those ultra-tight tolerences.

Thing is with the claims they are touting better be true with milled face because it won't allow them to go back to what is the normal face now for future heads.

Great video and great info!

Big proponent of the shorter tour length shaft and CnC milled face. Had no idea about the variables between individual heads but interesting to learn that the new milling cuts that down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

as an industry guy, i would like to know vrska's take on the cnc milling. he knows the ins and outs of production as much as anybody. did he see the f8 and think, "damn i wish we had thought of that" or "good for cobra for figuring out how to do something we all wish we could do." or is he thinking, "what a load of malarky."

It's pretty crazy that they used to have to go through 15 heads for Rickie to find one that worked for him and now the milled face has cut out a big variable. it really makes you think a little more about the difference in heads just because of the production process.

i have an old thread lurking around where i got to watch cobra's tour van guy work with a web.com player in a driver fitting. he had probably 8-10 different heads, but only 2 different models so several of the same because some are just a little bit different than others. he hot-melted each one the same way per the player's specs, but they still performed just a little bit differently.

Really interesting interview. The CNC milling on the face is very cool that it gets everything much tighter in tolerances and it showed with Ricky's fitting. Immediate validation with a W and a great price point makes this very competitive.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

i think the thing that keeps getting lost about the f8 and f8+ is the price point. no, $400 is not an insignificant amount of money, but compared to the going rates it is highly competitive. and all of us who have tested it are raving about the sound and performance. this needs to be on top of everybody's list of drivers to try in 2018.

Big proponent of the shorter tour length shaft and CnC milled face. Had no idea about the variables between individual heads but interesting to learn that the new milling cuts that down.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

but if i'm not mistaken, tour length is only available in the f8 head. there is no tour length f8+. that probably has something to do with different desired effects of moving the weights, but it does seem odd.

That was great stuff. I never realized how varying the different heads could be so it's nice to see them make this improvement. Plus it looks cool as hell! I'm pretty confident I'll be seeing one of these in the bag this year.

as an industry guy, i would like to know vrska's take on the cnc milling. he knows the ins and outs of production as much as anybody. did he see the f8 and think, "damn i wish we had thought of that" or "good for cobra for figuring out how to do something we all wish we could do." or is he thinking, "what a load of malarky."

i have an old thread lurking around where i got to watch cobra's tour van guy work with a web.com player in a driver fitting. he had probably 8-10 different heads, but only 2 different models so several of the same because some are just a little bit different than others. he hot-melted each one the same way per the player's specs, but they still performed just a little bit differently.

i think the thing that keeps getting lost about the f8 and f8+ is the price point. no, $400 is not an insignificant amount of money, but compared to the going rates it is highly competitive. and all of us who have tested it are raving about the sound and performance. this needs to be on top of everybody's list of drivers to try in 2018.

but if i'm not mistaken, tour length is only available in the f8 head. there is no tour length f8+. that probably has something to do with different desired effects of moving the weights, but it does seem odd.

We actually spoke about that later in the day. He said the process will in fact eliminate some variables. We takes further about how some companies have manufacturing people overseas for QC and others not as much. I know at the Grandaddy Harry Arnett spoke about the same thing.

Coming late to the party, My understanding is that the head of the CNC milled driver is the same as the other drivers EXCEPT that the specs are more consistent for the bulge and roll as well as the thickness. If that's the case how does that translate to distance and accuracy and is it that much of a deal? No idea, just asking.

I guess now that I think about it, it's not all that surprising. Just going back through memories of pics of tour van heads that have been digitally checked for loft and labeled, some being a degree of loft or more off of the stated loft, lie is another variable that also comes into play. So why wouldn't that actual surface of the face of a driver be any different? Cast or forged manufacturing always has some variances, always. Laser milling is a much more precise method to really produce consistent manufacturing results, at least I would think so.

I'm really intrigued and would love to hit one of these but sadly I can never find anyplace around here that has any LH woods to demo. The last Cobra driver I got to hit was the F6. I still miss my old blue Bio Cell.

I'm really intrigued and would love to hit one of these but sadly I can never find anyplace around here that has any LH woods to demo. The last Cobra driver I got to hit was the F6. I still miss my old blue Bio Cell.

Do you have a PGA Superstore or Golf Galaxy in your area? They are in all PGA and about 50% of Galaxy stores right now (that should increase soon).

Do you have a PGA Superstore or Golf Galaxy in your area? They are in all PGA and about 50% of Galaxy stores right now (that should increase soon).

No PGA superstore. We do have Golf Galaxy but they traditionally only carry RH clubs. They have the F8 and F8+ but no lefty. Golfsmith used to have LH demos but since they closed I’ve not been able to find them locally in LH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back