Cobra KING Forged TEC Black Irons

Looks like I'm moving to these from the f9s at least for the time being.

Nice! What is the build?
Right now they have ctaper 120s in them.

Playing them 6-P. Going back and forth between the f9 4/5 and the one length utilities.

GW is most likely going to go in as well. I'm so back and forth right now.

Right now they have ctaper 120s in them.

Playing them 6-P. Going back and forth between the f9 4/5 and the one length utilities.

GW is most likely going to go in as well. I'm so back and forth right now.

That is such a good build. Stout though!

Yeah, I'm trying my best to convince myself I need to keep the feel that I'm getting with the 120s and not go any heavier/stiffer.

First 27 holes into the new FTB build and I'll be honest, I am struggling. A little bit of army golf out there with consistency, where some will hang a bit right and some will go left on me. I've been trying for a couple years to move into a more forgiving head to support a straighter, easier ball flight, but for some reason it just doesn't seem to translate into my swing.

The launch is plenty high with TourV 110 which is good (and expected). I hit a really nice 7 iron with a bit of wind help at a 186 yard pin that landed just past it, which is probably about where my old irons would be, and it even had the nice little draw I was looking for on it. I'll continue my pursuit of this build through the weekend and bring my thoughts here. I want so badly for these to be THE irons I roll with for the future.

Sound is still excellent. Finish is holding strong. Both very important things.

army golf at the mc as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

army golf at the mc as well?

It's a tough call. Little known fact but I basically couldn't golf for three weeks leading up to the MC, and had to pop anti-inflamms during the event so I could even play as my wrist was pretty decently damaged in my prep while golfing. Still not really healed, honestly.

I chalked a lot up to having wrist tape on when the ball would hang right, but I honestly don't remember a ton of iron shots at the MC. Too focused on the guys playing and the location. I did have some great shots with the FTBs (a 6 iron with the wind to a 215 pin was pretty entertaining, landing just short), but it's pretty foggy at this point.

Update on my progress with my FTB's.

Finally joined a club (an online one though, but it gives me the ability to play a range of local courses) and will be getting my handicap soon. I just have to submit 3 scorecards which I have to nominate 24hrs before I play.
Played yesterday for my 1st scorecard submission and hit my best score ever (98) which was cool, with my mate who said he'd be there when I finally break 100!
Absolutely loving the clubs, even managed to Par the hardest hole on the course. Clubs feel great, plenty forgiving on miss-hits too.

Plenty of experience with the FTBs this weekend. Can't say enough about the turf interaction and overall sound profile. You can easily drive through the ground, but they aren't hungry to dig holes. They sound fantastic. Not much clickiness at all, lots of audible feedback and you are rewarded big time for a great strike. I get lots of launch with the Tour V's in there, and they are wildly better for my game with the lighter overall build that I put together. Not the longest irons out there for me, but very fair numbers. Biggest flaw for me is still trying to get a same-flight result. A couple hangers here and there, a couple cooked draws. Not sure whether that's on me or the overall forgiveness profile.

For the last round of the weekend, I talked my dad into playing them as he was gushing over them at top golf earlier in the year. He's a digger, drives hard through the zone here and there, and is always trying to work the ball for whatever reason. He came from a set of XR Steelhead pros that I gave him a couple years ago. In short, it's the best iron results I've seen out of him in ages. Definitely not the perfect shafts for him, but the ability to drive into the ground a bit better has done wonders for his overall flight and distances. Also, it's the best SOUNDING contact I've heard him make in ages. He's got a long way to go, but I have little doubt he's going to be stealing these to hit on the regular haha

Plenty of experience with the FTBs this weekend. Can't say enough about the turf interaction and overall sound profile. You can easily drive through the ground, but they aren't hungry to dig holes. They sound fantastic. Not much clickiness at all, lots of audible feedback and you are rewarded big time for a great strike. I get lots of launch with the Tour V's in there, and they are wildly better for my game with the lighter overall build that I put together. Not the longest irons out there for me, but very fair numbers. Biggest flaw for me is still trying to get a same-flight result. A couple hangers here and there, a couple cooked draws. Not sure whether that's on me or the overall forgiveness profile.

For the last round of the weekend, I talked my dad into playing them as he was gushing over them at top golf earlier in the year. He's a digger, drives hard through the zone here and there, and is always trying to work the ball for whatever reason. He came from a set of XR Steelhead pros that I gave him a couple years ago. In short, it's the best iron results I've seen out of him in ages. Definitely not the perfect shafts for him, but the ability to drive into the ground a bit better has done wonders for his overall flight and distances. Also, it's the best SOUNDING contact I've heard him make in ages. He's got a long way to go, but I have little doubt he's going to be stealing these to hit on the regular haha

Have the pw/gw distances sorted themselves out with the re-shaft?

My new 7i and the rest of my repaired set were delivered today. Ready to get them back on the course now that the weather finally starting to turn here.

They quoted me 3-4 business days on the turnaround, it ended up being 7 business days. So not as quick as the 8 iron fix, but not weeks and weeks either. Luckily I have backups or else i would have missed two league rounds and two regular Saturday morning 9s.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I took my Frankenset out on the range today. I have a separate thread on this set, but it essentially is a combo set, made up of FTBs 6 through 9 iron and cb/mb wedges. The shafts are 110 gram $ Tapers. Even though these are billed as players distance irons, I don’t find them to be as long as some of the others in that profile. What I see is an almost perfect ball flight for what my eye wants to see.

They also seem to be extremely consistent, distance-wise. I hit 4 6 irons in a row and the launch monitor registered between 176 and 178 yards. I moved to the 6 iron and was within a yard or two of 165 on every good swing. The 8 iron was hitting within a couple yards of 154 consistently. The 9 iron was right at 140, give or take.

The feel is very satisfying. The size of the head provides a level of comfort. There simply is a lot to like about these irons. I likely am putting the Frankenset in play for a scramble tomorrow. Should be fun.

Today I played a course for the first time from tees playing 6700 yards. I was playing with another decent golfer and after warming up we were off. The course seemed tight so I was taking less than driver off the tee for the front nine. It was a scrappy nine and I was eleven over and four shots behind my playing partner. I started taking driver on more holes on the back nine and was striking my forged tec black irons really solid on the approaches. I was five over after seven holes in the back and was now one ahead of my playing partner. On hole 17 pictured below I hit my driver well but had a lie with the ball above my feet and hit a horrible slinging hook through the trees on the left. The ball was on an upslope with trees close and 114 yards from the flag. My partner suggested a punch back to the fairway but I saw a gap in the trees and felt I could hit a draw with the gap wedge and get it on the green or close. Somehow I pulled the shot off, barely clearing the trees, and finished inside 10 feet. I made the birdie putt and was 2 strokes ahead of my playing partner heading to the 18th.

6c15549b6f2835022b14dd1c79dc2a91.jpg

On the 18th I hit a short, heely driver that finished just right of the fairway in the first cut. I was 60 yards short of my playing partner and lasered the flag at 189 yards. I hit a 6 iron that felt pure and walked up to see it sitting 4 feet from the flag. After a few choice words my playing partner hit a decent shot and 2-putted for par. I made the birdie putt to win by 3 and realized I was 3 over on the back. I had a mix of good and bad strikes yet the FTB irons were forgiving and consistently landing on or near the greens. I just need to find a way to replicate that back nine more often as it's the best 9 holes I've put together.

100efac250208b532901c632634b543f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Today I played a course for the first time from tees playing 6700 yards. I was playing with another decent golfer and after warming up we were off. The course seemed tight so I was taking less than driver off the tee for the front nine. It was a scrappy nine and I was eleven over and four shots behind my playing partner. I started taking driver on more holes on the back nine and was striking my forged tec black irons really solid on the approaches. I was five over after seven holes in the back and was now one ahead of my playing partner. On hole 17 pictured below I hit my driver well but had a lie with the ball above my feet and hit a horrible slinging hook through the trees on the left. The ball was on an upslope with trees close and 114 yards from the flag. My partner suggested a punch back to the fairway but I saw a gap in the trees and felt I could hit a draw with the gap wedge and get it on the green or close. Somehow I pulled the shot off, barely clearing the trees, and finished inside 10 feet. I made the birdie putt and was 2 strokes ahead of my playing partner heading to the 18th.

6c15549b6f2835022b14dd1c79dc2a91.jpg

On the 18th I hit a short, heely driver that finished just right of the fairway in the first cut. I was 60 yards short of my playing partner and lasered the flag at 189 yards. I hit a 6 iron that felt pure and walked up to see it sitting 4 feet from the flag. After a few choice words my playing partner hit a decent shot and 2-putted for par. I made the birdie putt to win by 3 and realized I was 3 over on the back. I had a mix of good and bad strikes yet the FTB irons were forgiving and consistently landing on or near the greens. I just need to find a way to replicate that back nine more often as it's the best 9 holes I've put together.

100efac250208b532901c632634b543f.jpg

Nice playing!!! You keep improving. Awesome!

Nice playing!!! You keep improving. Awesome!
Thanks Tenputt!! I'm grinding away and am excited to see the scores starting to drop!

Pops hit my FTBs again yesterday, this time in his team matchplay. Partner said he hasn't seen him hit irons like that in a long time. Called him this morning and he said he hit a couple 'too far' which hasn't been a problem for him in a long, long time.

This is maximum praise for these irons. I cannot speak highly enough about what I've seen him do with irons the last two rounds. Just a tremendous overall build for a golfer who wants to work the ball but NEEDS help getting the ball going and clean.

I'm still in love with these irons. The DBM finish looks so great. You can see some wear, but nothing like how the black finish on other clubs like my RTX3s, which are silver in the soles now.

Three performance matches the looks too. I am prone to a toe-side miss, especially on longer irons. Luckily these irons shine on those kinds of misses. Heel shots are good too. I'll often hit a good shot and look to the face to confirm I hit the sweet spot only to find out it is further from the center than I expected.

Last thing I love is the profile. Perfect size for a GI iron. Thinnish top line, great sole size, minimal offset.

I haven’t posted in a bit but I am still out here grinding with my FTB irons. Still loving the look and feel of these clubs as well. Some things have changed in my game and my only regret is that I got regular flex shafts instead of stiff flex. At the time it was appropriate but now I am 2 clubs longer then I was and the game has changed for me. I still hit them well even with the regular flex but I think I could see some benefits going to a stiff flex.

It’s odd also that once I started gaining distance with these, woods, and driver, I found that I had not gained any with my wedges. I had to switch to a different wedge to fill the gaps. Same lifts just hotter face I think.

I also had my lofts checked the other day and all of them were 1-3* off. I am not sure if they have been that way the whole time or just changed after heavy usage but I would recommend getting them checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been hitting these pretty well but still don't feel super comfortable with the OL PW and GW. I've come back to them several times but they just look weird at address to me. Might need to make a permanent switch to VL wedges.

I had a chance to hit the 7 iron the other day and it felt awesome. It was about 10-15 yards longer than the CB I hit. The FT feels a bit hotter off the face compared to the CB. I almost bought the FT, but decided to go with the CB/MB flow set. We'll see if I regret it. :act-up: I was initially looking at the i500 and AP2/AP3, but the Cobra's felt/looked better to me. Also, you can't beat that DBM finish.

Iron break number 3. My 8 iron snapped on the last hole of the Shaft Up event.

Spent more time on the phone with Cobra. They are taking the whole set back again and getting me out of the C Taper Lites and putting me in $-Taper blacks. Again, frustrating to lose my clubs for another week+ during the middle of the short New England season, but they are making it right and putting me in an upcharge shaft under warranty.

Iron break number 3. My 8 iron snapped on the last hole of the Shaft Up event.

Spent more time on the phone with Cobra. They are taking the whole set back again and getting me out of the C Taper Lites and putting me in $-Taper blacks. Again, frustrating to lose my clubs for another week+ during the middle of the short New England season, but they are making it right and putting me in an upcharge shaft under warranty.

Wow, I have never heard of such an odyssey with a set of irons. Sorry, man. Frustrating, I am sure, but at least CS is taking care of you. I have hit that iron with both the C Tape Lites and the $ Taper and I think you are going to be happy in the end.

Wow, I have never heard of such an odyssey with a set of irons. Sorry, man. Frustrating, I am sure, but at least CS is taking care of you. I have hit that iron with both the C Tape Lites and the $ Taper and I think you are going to be happy in the end.
Any comparison thoughts?

Any comparison thoughts?

Well, even if they performed the same, that black shaft and black head are lookers. However, for me, the $ Tapers spin a little less, but still launch very well. Thus, they provide a little better dispersion. I think that this characteristic will also result in a few yards more carry. The difference is not going to be night and day, but if the profile fits your swing, I think you will see an uptick of performance in that head.

Back