Cobra KING MIM Wedges

These wedges look awesome. Was checking them out before the COVID19 lock down. Really nice shapes etc. The bounce seems a bit too low for me though.

Its easy to love the driver, but after 1 round the MIM wedges might just be my favorite item out of the Morgan Cup clubs. 50, 56, 60 saved me all day long yesterday. Before yesterday I never tried them. I knew I would be ordering them so I didnt bother to test them before placing the order. Hard for me to judge the feel of the wedges right now due to the spring and windy weather. The MIM felt slightly firmer to me than the current Mizuno T20 I have right now but to be fair ive hit the Mizuno's for 4 months now

Overall the performance was phenomenal. It was easy to open up both the 56 and 60 from anywhere. The 60 led me to 3 sand saves for par. The 50 was my go to club yesterday for anything between 70 - 130 yards. Into the wind I was able to keep the flight pretty low and watch the ball stop immediately.

Its gonna rain the next 4 days so unfortunately I won't get to hit these for a while. The course is already pretty soft so probably no action for at least the next 7 days
I carry a 54* MIM and agree with what you say. I was at first concerned about the sole options but they respond so good to being open up you almost don't need any. I got the MIM when it first came out last year and it's still in my bag.

Haven't been able to get a round in, but have had more time with the MIM wedges than any other club in the bag so far. I have been getting some chipping practice in the back yard the last few evenings hitting balls back and forth across the yard. At my handicap, short game is just one of my problematic areas of my game. The feel of these wedges I really like. It just feels firm when striking the ball and gets the ball up in the air, which for me leads to confidence with them. Lots more practice to be had with these until courses reopen.

I got some chipping practice in last weekend before our lockdown, these are some legit wedges. I need to practice some more with them to get comfortable stopping them on the green, but they definitely have promise to be absolute weapons

View attachment 8933790View attachment 8933791

54° and 58° MIMs for 2020 and The Morgan Cup!!!

I've gamed the past two iterations of Cobra wedges - the PUR and the King Black.

The PURs were the best wedges I've gamed - the blacks were the best looking wedges I gamed. Really excited to get these on course - I took a step back last year with touch shots and the minimal experience I've had with these had the feel of the PUR wedges flooding back.

Only concern I have off the top of my head is going with the Versatile in the 58 - I absolutely ADORE the WideLow Grind out of greenside bunkers. Looking forward to seeing how the different grinds compare.

I've gamed the past two iterations of Cobra wedges - the PUR and the King Black.

The PURs were the best wedges I've gamed - the blacks were the best looking wedges I gamed. Really excited to get these on course - I took a step back last year with touch shots and the minimal experience I've had with these had the feel of the PUR wedges flooding back.

Only concern I have off the top of my head is going with the Versatile in the 58 - I absolutely ADORE the WideLow Grind out of greenside bunkers. Looking forward to seeing how the different grinds compare.
Like you, I am a wide sole type of guy for wedges. That said, these surprised me because you can open them up to get that flop shot. My last wedges were the Titleist K grind and the original CBX, both of those have wide soles. One thing I will say that it took some practice and confidence to open the wedge up in the sand, whereas before with a wide sole you just hit it with out much thinking, but I guess that's what they mean when they say versatile grind.

Like you, I am a wide sole type of guy for wedges. That said, these surprised me because you can open them up to get that flop shot. My last wedges were the Titleist K grind and the original CBX, both of those have wide soles. One thing I will say that it took some practice and confidence to open the wedge up in the sand, whereas before with a wide sole you just hit it with out much thinking, but I guess that's what they mean when they say versatile grind.

It will be interesting, I had a True Spec fitting putting these up against the King Black wedges and I was tugging these a bit - spin was better and distance was just as good but something about the sole was off - looking forward to dial these in.

I'll have to experiment with the open face shots as well.

54/58 Versatile Grinds DG S200 Shafts in play this past Saturday.

Conditions: Cold High 40s with slight wind - light rain/drizzle for the last 13 holes.

Course: First time playing this course, 6,400 yards from the blue tees - plenty of elevation change, wide forgiving fairways and fairly large greens with plenty of break and slope.

Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RXS

These are sooooo good - I had a fitting in the fall and the fitter was concerned about turf interaction compared to the King Black Wedges I had. Did not see any issue or pulls left.

Touch shots - the 54 and 58 were so good from around the green - I was able to get up and 8x during my round Saturday. I definitely don't think I ever got up and down more than 3x in a round last year - my short game around the green really suffered.

I hit a great shot on a Par 3 with the 54 - put it pin high and spun it back about 15' nice easy two putt par.

Bunkers - I had to admit, I was not excited about getting the 58* in a versatile grind as I've played the WL for the past three years and been smitten. Well I had two greenside bunker shots (bunker play is significantly more challenging with no rakes) I was able to get out of both bunkers and on the green - proximity to hole definitely needs work and I'm sure that will come with practice.

The full shots/longer shots with the 54/58 I struggled a bit - I think more time on course, but also at a range dialing in distance will help me - last year my wedge setup was 49/52/56/60 so there will definitely be a learning curve.

I really like the how the MIM wedges blend so well with the Forged Tec Irons. Cobra did a helluva job with their releases this(last) year.

54/58 Versatile Grinds DG S200 Shafts in play this past Saturday.

Conditions: Cold High 40s with slight wind - light rain/drizzle for the last 13 holes.

Course: First time playing this course, 6,400 yards from the blue tees - plenty of elevation change, wide forgiving fairways and fairly large greens with plenty of break and slope.

Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RXS

These are sooooo good - I had a fitting in the fall and the fitter was concerned about turf interaction compared to the King Black Wedges I had. Did not see any issue or pulls left.

Touch shots - the 54 and 58 were so good from around the green - I was able to get up and 8x during my round Saturday. I definitely don't think I ever got up and down more than 3x in a round last year - my short game around the green really suffered.

I hit a great shot on a Par 3 with the 54 - put it pin high and spun it back about 15' nice easy two putt par.

Bunkers - I had to admit, I was not excited about getting the 58* in a versatile grind as I've played the WL for the past three years and been smitten. Well I had two greenside bunker shots (bunker play is significantly more challenging with no rakes) I was able to get out of both bunkers and on the green - proximity to hole definitely needs work and I'm sure that will come with practice.

The full shots/longer shots with the 54/58 I struggled a bit - I think more time on course, but also at a range dialing in distance will help me - last year my wedge setup was 49/52/56/60 so there will definitely be a learning curve.

I really like the how the MIM wedges blend so well with the Forged Tec Irons. Cobra did a helluva job with their releases this(last) year.
Nice review Alex, glad you're loving them. I had pretty much exactly the same, other than my up and down which we have established was the Indian and in no way the arrow! Was really surprised by my 60 out of bunkers, putting a half decent swing on them and they just popped out nicely, unheard of for me.

I'm like you though, need to get the the range a lot more to work out partial distances and actually dialing in how far they're going, but these are really going to be weapons. Looks beautiful blended with the FTs though as well.

Nice review Alex, glad you're loving them. I had pretty much exactly the same, other than my up and down which we have established was the Indian and in no way the arrow! Was really surprised by my 60 out of bunkers, putting a half decent swing on them and they just popped out nicely, unheard of for me.

I'm like you though, need to get the the range a lot more to work out partial distances and actually dialing in how far they're going, but these are really going to be weapons. Looks beautiful blended with the FTs though as well.

Nice! What were you coming from before you got the MIM in there

The more I read about these both here and on their site the more I'm impressed. Cobra really seems to be a tech innovator in the club channel.

Nice! What were you coming from before you got the MIM in there

I had a very second hand original PM grind 60, a slightly second hand 588 RTX and a set GW so a real mismatch. Is the first time I’ve ever had a matching set, so will take a while to get them tuned in. The feel is magic though.

Can't comment about spin or anything today with sanded/punched greens but I can say that the feel on these is so much softer than the King Black wedges. I actually enjoyed the black finish especially in the sunlight and the firm feeling once I got used to it but I think I'm going to enjoy these quite a bit.

First round today with the MIM wedges and I am certainly no expert or great chipper, but these wedges just feel so good. I love the soft feel of them upon contact. Having been able to work on chipping in the backyard for the last month and using the chipping tutorial video that Kisner did recently, I had much improved chipping to what I am used to. Had several nice green side shots. (y)

3 rounds in this week and these are becoming my favorite clubs in My Morgan Cup bag.

I know I said in my prior post about that soft feel, but that soft feel just gives me confidence with them. Getting really good turf interaction and getting the ball up when needed.

They have certainly bailed me out quite a few times around greens this week in what has been a dumpster fire part of my game prior to the Covid lockdowns. :ROFLMAO:

3 rounds in this week and these are becoming my favorite clubs in My Morgan Cup bag.

I know I said in my prior post about that soft feel, but that soft feel just gives me confidence with them. Getting really good turf interaction and getting the ball up when needed.

They have certainly bailed me out quite a few times around greens this week in what has been a dumpster fire part of my game prior to the Covid lockdowns. :ROFLMAO:

Happy to hear that the new Cobra equipment is helping your game.

I am quite enjoying these wedges. I have a 54 and a 58. Much like last season I find myself using the 54 for just about everything inside 100 and even around the greens except a flop shot or anything where I'm short sided. I wasn't sure about the satin look after seeing the new darker finish at the PGA show and having played black wedges previously but I'm happy I these look the way they do. They look great in the bag with the Forged Tec.

I'm still getting used to the lighter weight in the shafts so its been a little adjustment on those partial shots but hit a few in the 60-75 range that were pretty good today. Spin doesn't seem to be an issue either which is to be expected with new grooves I guess

I think the feel of these wedges is addicting. They just have a nice solid, yet softish feel to them. I can tell where I make contact and the sweet spot really shines even on greenside shots.

I’m getting used to the wedges. Need some short game practice. But, I am very happy with the spin I can achieve with the 58 degree. Like the rest of my game, it’s a work in progress.

Have had a few more rounds in with these and they are currently my favorite part of my Morgan Cup bag. My 56 wedge gets used a lot, through 6 rounds I have 101 shots with it. When close in I am confident when pulling from the bag and I think this Arccos stat (if I am understanding it correctly) may back up my confidence with it. 23.8 feet from the hole on average has helped my putting numbers come down also.

IMG_0775.jpg

I have the 52 and 56 both bent 1 degree weak and the shaft length the same on both. I am starting to get better with them. When I do hit a good one, they feel so good. I love the sound/feel around the green

I still haven't got to play with these yet, but at the range they seem to perform. I do like the feel more than my previous wedges (RTX 2.0). They have a good height and look really good at address. I think the biggest thing for me so far is the pairing of the Nippon Modus wedge shafts with the MIM wedges. It is like match made in heaven!

Back