Cobra King Utility Iron - THP Review

Nice article, Dan. Definitely is an intriguing club.

Any launch monitor numbers between each loft?

Nice review Dan! Utility irons always interest me more than hybrids. I'll need to hit this next week:)

Well done Dan. Nice that they were able to make the loft adjustable.

I think this a nice clean UT that was destin to go with this way with how adjustment has changed drivers and woods it was just a matter of time before this came into play and cobra did a nice job with the look of this one would really like to see how it performed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Canadan are you still gaming this? Do you have any other thought's on this club?

@Canadan are you still gaming this? Do you have any other thought's on this club?

I actually sent it off with kc720 after watching him smash it.

Then again he smashes everything, sooooo

I actually sent it off with kc720 after watching him smash it.

Then again he smashes everything, sooooo

Haha so if I can get half the distance he does it's fantastic?

@kc720 any thoughts on this club?

Haha so if I can get half the distance he does it's fantastic?

@kc720 any thoughts on this club?
It's quite interesting. I gamed it couple rounds at 19.5 loft and it fit in well between my 4w and 4 iron. Definitely less forgiveness than a hybrid but serves its purpose well. The head is a bit too light for my liking. Off the tee I saw good mid trajectory and decent rollout in the fairway. Off the deck it's more demanding and more low/mid trajectory.

I really like this club right now but I am having a nasty bout of a slice with my longer irons and this thing is no different. When my swing is right it goes a long ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's quite interesting. I gamed it couple rounds at 19.5 loft and it fit in well between my 4w and 4 iron. Definitely less forgiveness than a hybrid but serves its purpose well. The head is a bit too light for my liking. Off the tee I saw good mid trajectory and decent rollout in the fairway. Off the deck it's more demanding and more low/mid trajectory.

Interesting

Anyone still gaming one of these?

I have the FG Tour V4 UT and hit this one next to it. Both felt great. Similiar ball flights. But the adjustability on these is an awesome feature i think.

How do people use this club? Part of me is thinking about picking one up for a tournament I have coming up at my old home course where it is super tight, firm and usually very windy....

I would never use it out of the fairway, but wondering if it would be worth it to pick one up for tee shots particularly into the wind. Any long term feedback?

And..... necropost....

As you guys know I traded in a bunch of stuff to get 3 Epic Flash Hybrids that I returned and picked up 2 F9 Hybrids. This left me with a hefty store credit at the golf shop. I mean hefty. Do I need a new driver? No. Do I need wedges? No. Do I need a Scotty? No because you'll pry my Odyssey two ball from my cold dead hands. Do I need shoes? Yes, but that's another story.

So I realized that I like teeing off with a 4 iron on certain holes. I do not like teeing off with hybrids. And now because I'm a dumba**, I'm without a 4 iron. So I decided to try out some Utility Clubs. I tried the Taylormade GAPR Mid 4, the Ping 4, and the Cobra King Black in 4. They didn't have the graphite I wanted so I had to use the steel. Now I don't plan to use these off the deck. Fortunately they had a little tee in the fitting area that was at perfect height.

The GAPR was rated online as the most forgiving, but like most Taylormade products I can't hit it to save my life. Next up was the Cobra. I fell in love. :love: It was forgiving, expected length off the tee, and straight. It tolerated my mishits. Now this club wasn't as long as my F9 hybrid, but that's not the point. It for a tee shots that have to be dead accurate. And if felt excellent. Next up was the Ping. This club also felt excellent and was very forgiving, but I just wasn't getting the ball speed that I got from the Cobra.

So I ordered the Cobra Black 3-4 in the graphite R for me. I think it comes in a Recoil shaft. Connect Tour Velvet grip. I should have it in a few days. Now the bag is complete.

If any of you guys have a connection with Cobra and they're willing to sponsor an old lady, let me know. :ROFLMAO:

Back