Cobra King Utility Iron - THP Review

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Talk about intrigue!! An adjustable Utility is in hand from Cobra, with the benefits of a hollow body UT construction, tungsten weighting promoting optimal launch CG and MOI conditions, along with the potential to fine tune the loft to the exact setting and face angle that will work for your game. I can't wait to get this on the course.

From Cobra

Cobra Golf, a leader in golf club innovation and technology, today introduced the KING Utility Iron, the brand’s first adjustable hollow body utility iron that offers multiple loft settings in a single club. The KING Utility is available in a 3-iron, featuring a large sole with a hollow head, and is packed with COBRA Golf’s game-changing metalwood technologies including MyFly8 that allows golfers to seamlessly adjust the loft to best fit their games.

The KING Utility Iron provides the feel and performance of an iron, combined with the forgiveness and slightly higher flight of a hybrid. The club’s 17-4 hollow body design and a new 455ss L-Cup Face, combined with its 67 gram tungsten weight strategically positioned low and back in the head, deliver optimal Center of Gravity (CG) and high MOI. The new L-Cup face design produces increased speed and higher launch, the key performance benefits golfers look for in a utility iron.

The true game-changer in the KING Utility 3-iron is the use of MyFly8 Technology in an iron. A first for COBRA and a first for golf, this proprietary technology affords golfers an ability to fine-tune their designed launch conditions from a 3 iron at 21o down to a 2 iron at 18o.

“This club is perfect for the golfer whose last iron stops at 4 and needs a 3i, or the golfer whose longest iron stops at 3i and needs 2i distance somewhere throughout the round. The KING Utility iron allows a player to perfectly gap his long iron game and offers three draw settings to fine tune trajectory,” said Tom Olsavsky, Vice President of R&D, COBRA Golf. “We designed this Utility iron with Rickie Fowler in mind – he currently uses this iron at courses he deems a match for this style of play.”

The KING Utility iron (MAP: $199 steel; $219 graphite), available in RH only, will be available May 1, 2016. It comes equipped with a Steel KBS C-Taper Lite shaft in X-stiff or Stiff flexes ($199); or a Graphite Aldila Rogue Black 85g in X-stiff, Stiff or Regular flexes ($219). Loft range: 18o, 18.5o, 18.5 o draw, 19.5o, 19.5o draw, 21.5 o, 21.5 o draw and 22 o.

In Hand Photos

0404161358a-XL.jpg

0404161358b-XL.jpg

0404161358c-XL.jpg

0404161358d-XL.jpg

0404161359-XL.jpg

0404161359a-XL.jpg

0404161359c-XL.jpg

0404161359d-XL.jpg

0404161359e-XL.jpg

0404161359f-XL.jpg

0404161359g-XL.jpg

0404161359h-XL.jpg

0404161400b-XL.jpg

0404161400c-XL.jpg

0404161400d-XL.jpg

0404161401a-XL.jpg

0404161401b-XL.jpg

The loft adjustability is really intriguing to me. I know some folks "struggle" with adjustability on clubs when cranking-up the loft because it may close the face a bit. Interested to hear your thoughts on how the adjustments visually impact the face angle.

The loft adjustability is really intriguing to me. I know some folks "struggle" with adjustability on clubs when cranking-up the loft because it may close the face a bit. Interested to hear your thoughts on how the adjustments visually impact the face angle.

It'll be interesting, as I'm admittedly a pretty big critic when it comes to playing a head stock vs tuned.

I do like this idea a lot, I just don't know how difficult/easy this club would be to hit for a majority of people.

That looks really good, and how they fit/implemented that adapter is impressive size/profile wise.

Definitely curious to hear your thoughts on this and like the idea of another possibility in the bag for someone who is not in love with hybrids.

I like the looks and am a fan of utility irons. Will be following this review.

Very interesting! Great pictures and looking to hear what you think about it. Hopefully I'll be able to give it a try as well.

And you just got a new Apex UT to compare it to.... This is gonna be a good thread.

And you just got a new Apex UT to compare it to.... This is gonna be a good thread.

yeah buddy!! It won't be apples to apples with 25g and steel/graphite differentiating, but it will definitely bring to light how the head performs.

I'm much more skeptical about the changing lofts using an iron head than a driver or fw. However they did a nice job of making it a semi clean look with the adapter, and I love that they kept the loft window there. It's a good looking clubhead for sure.

I'm much more skeptical about the changing lofts using an iron head than a driver or fw. However they did a nice job of making it a semi clean look with the adapter, and I love that they kept the loft window there. It's a good looking clubhead for sure.

What creates the skepticism, ddec? What should I be looking out for?

I'm in the same boat here! I'm a bit skeptical and all were doing here is turning the shaft but I'll wait and hear what Dan has to say. It IS a good looking club though!

What creates the skepticism, ddec? What should I be looking out for?

more on the face angle effects on the iron head itself. Would be interesting to hear if they thought of some form of a SmartPad with it, but yes iron soles are different.

yeah buddy!! It won't be apples to apples with 25g and steel/graphite differentiating, but it will definitely bring to light how the head performs.
Well I've got a Recoil in my UT, so you can send that bad boy down this way and I'll give it a side by side. [Alien face thingy]

This is very interesting. Pretty cool how they did the adjustment. Sad it's RH only though.

I saw some data on this that changing the loft had very little effect on distance, but did dramatically change the ball flight. In some cases the higher lofts were longer than the lower lofts. I'm sure that can vary by swing type and from golfer to golfer. I'll be interested to see if you get the same results on a launch monitor.

Love the adjustability, such a cool feature, looks great, can't wait to hear how it performs.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this Dan. It's a pretty intriguing club.

I think that Cobra did a great job of incorporating the adjustability in a minimalist manner. Being a utility iron fan I will be following along.

the adjustability is seamless in its incorporated aesthetics, so kudos for that.

but it looks like an sgi iron head in those pics with its overall size. i would think something like this is geared toward a better player, but better players don't typically like these kinds of top lines.

I know Cobra is good for their forgiveness, will be interesting to see how this will play out. Looks a bit intimidating for us higher cappers.

Cobra irons are so clean looking this year. Looking forward to how this performs for you.

Are these the next new club to add to the bag? It seems they are becoming more and more popular.

I'm confused, every MyFly8 club has a 3* loft range. And this one has a sticker that says 19-22. Yet you guys are saying 18-22, and I can see the 18* setting on the adapter

Ah, I'm seeing on other sites it is actually 18-21. I wonder why that sticker says 19-22...

Back