coming over the top

Work on the baseball drill.

Think of the ball as home plate and see in front of it as a baseball diamond.
When you swinging, try and make the swing and hit the ball down the first base line.
It will take some time, but works every time.

Another way to do it at the range is to place a tee 6 inches in front of a teed up ball and about 3 inches to the right.
On the range try to hit the ball and follow through and hit the tee.
It is not easy, but in time will keep you from coming over the top.

JB's baseball idea is a good one. One that works for me is to think 'long and low' in the backswing. I do a slow backswing and try to keep the clubhead moving as close to the ground and directly away from the target for as long as possible. For me it keeps me for my take away being to much inside (inside takeaway makes my club cross the line and come over the top). Good luck!

When you swinging, try and make the swing and hit the ball down the first base line.

Another way to do it at the range is to place a tee 6 inches in front of a teed up ball and about 3 inches to the right.

Getting better myself, really bad ovt, with some simple swing mechanics/lag/takeaway/hips/sequence. Going to give it a go this week....thx

One thing that helps me, stand closer to the ball. Getting my hands under my shoulders at address helped cure my OVT.

The baseball drill and slow and low takeaway are good ones. In addition to those for me, a full turn of my shoulder on the backswing really helps get the club in the slot on the way down. GL!

That's a great tip JB, I've always heard that slicers need to learn to swing out to the side they fear most because they subconsciously swing out to the left to stay away from the right. And this drill will help out

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

The baseball drill and slow and low takeaway are good ones. In addition to those for me, a full turn of my shoulder on the backswing really helps get the club in the slot on the way down. GL!

This and keeping my left arm straight (RH golfer) cured my slice...the 'low and slow' is what I do when I lose focus.

Another thing that helped me is proper rotation instead of sliding. As well as not letting my upper body get ahead of my lower

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

If the baseball drill and tee don't work - try a cardboard box placed just outside the toe of the club at address. If the box doesn't move at impact you didn't come over the top.
Or a concrete block - for better motivation...

Back