Considering Changing Tee Boxes During Cold Winter Weather

caribbeanknight

Reaction score
Handicap
With the cold weather upon me I have already switched balls going from the ProV1x to the Pro V1. Even so I am still at least losing one club length in distance to the cold whether. My favorite course all use five Tee Boxes. Does anyone else move up in Tee Boxes during the cold weather as a way to make things more even with their summer scores or am I just trying to manipulate my handicap? What does everyone else do?

I've done it. Slope/rating will adjust as needed for your index.

I've done it. Slope/rating will adjust as needed for your index.

same here, bad weather is bad enough no need to torture yourself anymore than you have to

I usually don't. But it wouldn't hurt if you did. For me I get to play the course at my comfortable spot but try and think my way around a little different. Yes it makes the course a little tougher but it makes for a challenge as well.

Can't move up much from white tees.. I'd look silly on the senior or women's box

Can't move up much from white tees.. I'd look silly on the senior or women's box

Shoot, I played Sr tees more than a few times on cold days, especially if the wind was howling. I'm not ashamed.

I am noticing a few golf courses around me that are taking the debate out of my hands and offering only two sets of tees - white and red. Personally I just play from the white and adjust according to conditions.

Im going to move up to the front tees too, this winter.

Stop it you.

I usually don't, but I've done this before as well. If you REALLY want a challenge or change, move all the way up and play from the forward tee's. Especially if you're use to playing the very back of your course, tees. So if you play tee box 5, jump up to 1 or 2...new challenge, sometimes more fun than you think. Nothing wrong with it at all, and I wouldn't feel "weird" to change it up from time to time. Go for it!

Not just in the cooler time of year but through out the entire season, I often play from the forward tees with my wife. I do not use a driver or fairways off the tee.

This is a great way to practice all of the clubs in the bag. The company is nice as well.

I will move up a set in colder weather, you still have to adjust for distance lost but it helps.

One of my favorite things to do anytime is to play the shortest set of tees with another ball just to get a different look on some of the courses I play the most. Usually during the week when the course isn't as busy.

Go for it nothing wrong or weird about it at all!

You will look at the course in a different way new trouble in play and some trouble won't be a problem anymore.

I don't, but I also combat cold balls by putting a hand warmer in an insulated compartment in my bag and swap out every hole. Works pretty well from what I've experienced. If it's really cold, below 45 say, I will grab a half dozen balls out of my bag before I leave and dump them in a bath if scalding hot water for 10-15 minutes.

Honestly never thought about it. I will now though. Plus putting the Wilson duo in play for temps under 60

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

When the conditions here really take a turn for the worse most courses will only maintain one tee box anyways, usually the Whites. When that happens I don't have much choice. Otherwise it depends on the course. A few courses I find myself laying up off the tee already from the blue tees so I have little desire to move up, other courses are simply too long when there is no rollout happening so I will move up.
It's pretty much a cointoss at the start of the round.

Why? Heck on me and Jacqui's "date nights" we will play form the reds (forward), gold ("senior") and regular men's tees (white) so we play together. She breaks 100 from the whites, so it's no big deal for her to play from back a ways.

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't change balls or tee boxes. Largely b/c I really don't notice a distance difference. In 6° weather today (~45 fake degrees I believe) my 6i was going 180, 9i 150, and 55° 110. All my normal numbers (only other clubs I had were 64° and putter, so I had lots of chances to measure each). On the other hand, playing with only the 5 clubs I have occasionally moved up to the front box (my course only has 2) just b/c there are 3-5 holes (wind dependent) where I can't get there in reg using only 6i. I find it like playing a completely new course. Fun sometimes.

I usually just stick with the whites. But I will change balls during the colder months.

No shame in moving up. Play what is enjoyable to you.

A course I know did a couples 4th of July tournament and called it the Red, White and Blue. They alternated the red white and blue tees for each hole. Hole 1 was red, 2 was white, 3 was blue and so on. There is nothing wrong with moving up a set of tees. Brings new obstacles on the course in to play, helps build better course management skills, makes you see a "new course" if it's your weekly place. This shouldn't be something that you wait till winter to do either. I understand that cold weather limits ball flight but how many events are you really playing in the winter anyway? Does your golfing ego wait till it gets cold to make a change? I really don't get logic behind this. Maybe it's just me?

A course I know did a couples 4th of July tournament and called it the Red, White and Blue. They alternated the red white and blue tees for each hole. Hole 1 was red, 2 was white, 3 was blue and so on. There is nothing wrong with moving up a set of tees. Brings new obstacles on the course in to play, helps build better course management skills, makes you see a "new course" if it's your weekly place. This shouldn't be something that you wait till winter to do either. I understand that cold weather limits ball flight but how many events are you really playing in the winter anyway? Does your golfing ego wait till it gets cold to make a change? I really don't get logic behind this. Maybe it's just me?

I've shot 79 form the blues, 79 from the whites, and 77 (twice) from the golds this year. I've yet to play 18 full holes from the reds yet, so I don't have a score there. Should do it next time Jacqui and I play together.

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't change balls or tee boxes. Largely b/c I really don't notice a distance difference. In 6° weather today (~45 fake degrees I believe) my 6i was going 180, 9i 150, and 55° 110. All my normal numbers (only other clubs I had were 64° and putter, so I had lots of chances to measure each). On the other hand, playing with only the 5 clubs I have occasionally moved up to the front box (my course only has 2) just b/c there are 3-5 holes (wind dependent) where I can't get there in reg using only 6i. I find it like playing a completely new course. Fun sometimes.

Damn you must have had a hell of a tail wind on every hole.

As for me my next round will be from a forward tee, Im tired of hitting a 4w into greens.

Keep Calm and Golf On.

I will definitely be moving up tee boxes soon. Sometimes i move up just for new scenery in the summer. No shame in it.

I noticed this week every club is getting shorter with the cold snap in our local weather.

It doesn't bother me to hit from shorter tees.

Back a few years ago there was a nice 9 hole course where you play the white tees, and then second time around you played the blue tees.

The course owner suggested that we play the red/gold tees the 3rd time around.

It made it like a different course. Now, certain trees were in the way, and some hazards became a different strategy to avoid.

Make a nice change while still at the same familiar course.

Jackal

Back