Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
SCORE, I just found 15 double rolls of TP in the closet. I feel rich!

And our daughter had to collect Beanie Babies instead of TP. . . .

I would submit that proper testing and trials will be done, just not in the traditional sequence and with limited animal modeling being done prior to human testing.... and as someone who works in the clinical research realm, that to me is a bit worrisome that our Food & Drug Administration would approve of such a development plan! But IF and its a giant IF...... if there is efficacy and patients get better, kudos to FDA for thinking outside the box....
Just think of the volunteers though.:oops:

From the Johns Hopkins website, updated at 11:33 PM EDT:

Confirmed U S Cases: 6,362
Deaths: 108 (1.70%)
Total Recovered: 17

Global Fatality Rate is at 4.01%

Just think of the volunteers though.:oops:
They all have to read and sign a 24-page consent document with lots of confusing information.... besides, they're all freaked out they have COVID19 so they have that going for them...... :sneaky:

NOTE: This is me trying to share some levity and it probably comes off badly over the interwebs.....

Wish they'd share the total number tested, total number negative as well so we can actually see the extent.... also, those who have recovered, are they researching antibodies these people have developed? They should be!

Maybe I live in la la land, but I have had pneumonia three times and came out of it okay. I just don't find it all that worrisome. What concerns me is the impact on the economy and people's psyches.

considering how limited the 'confirmed' data is, I feel like including a death rate percentage is exceptionally misleading.

Wish they'd share the total number tested, total number negative as well so we can actually see the extent.... also, those who have recovered, are they researching antibodies these people have developed? They should be!

Good questions. I heard some interesting data on the radio earlier this week, but want to corroborate it to ge sure I got it right.

I heard this on the radio and I have not been able to find corroboration anywhere else:
considering how limited the 'confirmed' data is, I feel like including a death rate percentage is exceptionally misleading.

Agreed. The actual number of cases is much higher and so the actual fatality rate should be much lower. But these are the numbers out there.

Canada/USA border will be CLOSED TOMORROW with the exception of commercial traffic

What is your basis to say that the numbers are misleading ? Do you have another source that caused you to say this ?

What is your basis to say that the numbers are misleading ? Do you have another source that caused you to say this ?
I think Dan is referring to the fact we are barely testing so there are obviously much higher numbers of cases than than being reported. That likely means the death ratio should be much lower.

Well this virus sure isn’t hurting Chick-fil-a.

With all restaurants now closed and only drive thru locations open, the line is around the block for a weak chicken sandwich.

Fries are really good
Now, how long before all the idiots start hoarding fast food too?

I just got an email from one of my regular courses stating they will close tomorrow through the end of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is long but interesting read on Covid19 and why it is different than the flu. One of my friends in MO posted this after their Health Dept sent this out.

Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..

H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.

Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..

That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...

And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

Be smart folks...

#flattenthecurve. Stay home folks.

I guess it was inevitable, but we got the email last night to say our holiday next month will not be happening, so we need to think about when to reschedule - probably going to push it back by 12 months as we have no idea how long this situation could go on for

Latest update from my mother is that they are being moved from the complex where they are to somewhere else, and will be able to stay as long as necessary, but I just hope their flight goes ahead on Friday (not Thursday like I originally posted) to get them back home

Canada/USA border will be CLOSED TOMORROW with the exception of commercial traffic

There is a flood of Canadian’s leaving Florida and other U.S. states right now flying back north. I confirmed this yesterday talking with friends and my wife’s mom who live in condos in Naples.

Just found out Honda is closing down production here for at least 6 days.

We're fully into Distance Learning in my school district here in CT so I'll be home for the foreseeable future. We'll do our best to stay connected with our students but it's a real drag. Esp for me since I'm a Tech Ed teacher and I run a Graphic Arts lab and a Metals Lab. Needless to say, much of our work isn't with paper and pencil. I miss my kids already~

...a thought I've been having. We keep stating that the young should avoid this virus because they can spread it to the more vulnerable. By all accounts, we should be driving it through to younger folks that this thing is a bloody hell of misery to fight for two weeks even if it doesn't take your life. Nobody wants this crap.

Yes, I agree. From a March 9, 2020 Time magazine article:

Looking at data from countries with robust testing systems does support the idea that the disease’s mortality rate may be lower than 3.4%...The mortality rate in South Korea, where more than 1,100 tests have been administered per million residents, comes out to just 0.6%, for example...Few countries with significant testing capacity are reporting mortality rates above 2%.

Yes, I agree. From a March 9, 2020 Time magazine article:

Looking at data from countries with robust testing systems does support the idea that the disease’s mortality rate may be lower than 3.4%...The mortality rate in South Korea, where more than 1,100 tests have been administered per million residents, comes out to just 0.6%, for example...Few countries with significant testing capacity are reporting mortality rates above 2%.

Most estimates put the current number infected at at least 1.5 million so with 8000 deaths that works out to 0.5% death rate.

My wife has commandeered the kitchen table for her work (blueprints are big :oops: ) I’m working in the living room and the kid spent most of yesterday sleeping on the couch (teenagers. :rolleyes:) Local golf courses are still open, but closing the inside seating options, and recommending no hand shakes, and social distancing on the course. I figure if I get a chance to play I will be walking for sure just to avoid touching a golf cart.

This is pretty seriously crazy to watch unfold. Just completely unlike anything I’ve ever seen. (Not a particularly brilliant sentiment I know, but I’m still trying to wrap my mind around it all.).

The biggest local golf store/driving range around here Carl's Golfland announced they are closing all retail, lessons and demo's basically the entire inside operations. The range will stay open because it is self serve but asking to skip a bay in between when using. They are also offering curb side pickup for online orders AND said they will continue to pay employees during this two week period.

It makes sense and kudos to them for continuing to pay employees but I am starting to wonder what it will be like when this is over. I fear that this could be the end of things like club demo's unless everything is wiped down thoroughly before hand with sanitizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back