Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read that my kids school district had been giving out about 300 lunches a day for families that depend on those meals. And they have also loaned out 2000 chrome books for those who need them for online learning.

I guess I should go deeper, how many that ended up hospitalized were smokers or had previous respiratory issues.
Can't help you yet.... If you happened to glance at the next paragraph the authors basically state then need to collect more data, more specifics, but your point is well taken with me because COVID19 becomes a tipping point for many who have comorbidities and for many the cause of death is ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome, aka, pneumonia, fluid on the lungs etc.,) which smoking obviously compromises.... but not all deaths reported in those 99 subjects confirmed smoking as part of patient demographics.... Age too is a factor.....

Can't help you yet.... If you happened to glance at the next paragraph the authors basically state then need to collect more data, more specifics, but your point is well taken with me because COVID19 becomes a tipping point for many who have comorbidities and for many the cause of death is ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome, aka, pneumonia, fluid on the lungs etc.,) which smoking obviously compromises.... but not all deaths reported in those 99 subjects confirmed smoking as part of patient demographics.... Age too is a factor.....

Absolutely know it’s not 100%. But just really curious if it’s 50/50, 60/40 or 80/20? I have no clue but just curious.

These are certainly unprecedented times and the decisions are not easy.

Korea has tested over 250,000 and has 8,000 confirmed cases or about 3% of those tested. It would be nice to know what percentage of the general population has contracted Covid 19 and right now no country has that data. One big question is how long can we practice shelter in place before the fabric of our society breaks down. How long can we keep schools closed? 6 months? One year? Tens of thousands of small businesses will go out of business and millions of jobs wiped out. One of my buddies already laid off 20% of his workers and it’s likely those jobs won’t come back in the next 6 months. How will people react when they don’t have money for rent or food? How many suicides will result from the despair caused by the shelter in place? If this turns out to kill at a rate and number (35,000 U.S. deaths per year) similar to the season flu, is it worth it to shut down schools and businesses each year when this virus pops up?

A quote from the article.

One of the bottom lines is that we don’t know how long social distancing measures and lockdowns can be maintained without major consequences to the economy, society, and mental health. Unpredictable evolutions may ensue, including financial crisis, unrest, civil strife, war, and a meltdown of the social fabric. At a minimum, we need unbiased prevalence and incidence data for the evolving infectious load to guide decision-making.

I appreciate the quote from this author and expert, but I submit that today Wuhan confirmed zero new cases of the virus under conditions of social distancing.... by no means I am I saying this does not impact all the things noted but you and everyone else needs to ask yourself if the risk is worth dying for?? Left unabated infections will skyrocket and overwhelm the healthcare system, people would die from lack of medical resources and critical care.... me personally, I prefer not to flip that coin to see which happens first.....

As for Korea, since I work with them.... take a look at what they are doing.... this is a website that govt updates daily and country had implemented social distancing and a whole bunch of other measures they learned from SARS and MERS..... they're testing 10k a day and are transparent with information.... wouldn't a website like this for US be helpful so share real information?

For those of you living where it's warm enough to golf. Are courses closing or making changes due to the virus?

As a CA resident

source.gif

For those of you living where it's warm enough to golf. Are courses closing or making changes due to the virus?

Augusta National and the municipal course are closed. Otherwise the rest of the courses are open.

20200319_233441.jpg

I had to go to the hospital this evening since my son had a very high fever. It looks like he has the flu. The waiting area for the pharmacy during the day is always packed but this is how they are implementing social distancing. Drop off/pick up now since they dont want people hanging around along with screening before you enter the hospital.

Open in Texas & I have a tee time w/ a buddy on Wednesday. I think we’ll be ok but still a little nervous since things are closing here left & right.

If you abide with the rule to stay home, then why are folks worried about getting the virus ?
He said it COULD reach 25 million if we don't shelter in place. California has over 40 million residents. There were already at least 10 counties with shelter in place directives. I live in California and welcome the new directive. I don't want this virus, do you?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If you stay at home, maybe because you can work from home or perhaps you are comfortably retired then why are you worried about getting this virus.

But what about folks that can’t work from home, highly likely will lose their job. These folks are taking chances that they can get sick, but economic hardship with mouths to feed .... their choices ain’t as easy as your.

I just read that my kids school district had been giving out about 300 lunches a day for families that depend on those meals. And they have also loaned out 2000 chrome books for those who need them for online learning.
My district is doing the same, although there were a lot fewer people that borrowed the chromebooks. I volunteered to help distribute them the other day. We had basically a drive through setup along the edge of the parking lots. Parents (or the older kids) would pull up, tell us what packets or books they needed, and the volunteers passed them through the car window. It was pretty crazy at first with about 200 cars in line, backed up out onto the road. But everyone was very patient and in the end it went somewhat smoothly.

The district is also providing free breakfast and lunch to any student that wants it, regardless of whether they normally qualify for free or reduced price. About 250 the first day, but they are expecting that number to gradually increase. Distribution is in the parking lots of a few local fire halls, since they don't want anybody going in the school. Teachers are volunteering here as well, to assist in distribution and provide a friendly familiar face. We had over 100 volunteer time slots available over the next couple weeks. They filled in only a few hours.

I just can’t get there with whole Italy angle ...

View attachment 8932706
The math just doesn’t support it, even when you take into the fact that Italy is 7-10 days ahead of the US in the curve.

Yes in the number of total cases the Italy v. US charts appear on the same trajectory, however the death rate is very different when comparing day by day. With the US continuing to drop as more people are tested and cases confirmed.

Of the 177 reported deaths in the US, 74 are in Washington State (41.8%), if you agree that Washington State is an outlier, then the death rate here is in line with South Korea so far.

Totally agree. We also have 5.7 times the population of Italy so our number would have to be larger by a corresponding amount to be on the same trajectory as Italy.

Most estimates put the actual number of Covid 19 currently infected people in the U.S. at many multiples more than the 14,000 confirmed through testing. If we use a multiple of 5 times that infected, our death rate currently is at 0.3%.

In another few months we may very likely find that the death rate is even lower than that and maybe closer to the seasonal flu which is 0.1%.

Last edited:
But what about folks that can’t work from home, highly likely will lose their job. These folks are taking chances that they can get sick, but economic hardship with mouths to feed .... their choices ain’t as easy as your.

This is the part that is really tough to watch for me. I have been getting at least two calls a day from small businesses that I represent asking about how to handle the layoffs from a legal standpoint. My suggestion has been to reduce everyone's hours or pay uniformly for the next pay period or two as opposed to letting some people go, if possible. Its really heart wrenching to see., and certainly makes me appreciate what I have.

Saw a news report saying CA's governor is estimating 25 million cases...
I would really be interested to see the modeling he’s relying on. CA currently has @ 1k cases. They had @50 new cases yesterday. The numbers are going to jump as we get more test kits in the system, but getting from 1k to 25M is a curious thing.

Just got an email we are going to universal masking precautions... But we don't have any masks

Probably bad gif example, touching of the face

Just got an email we are going to universal masking precautions... But we don't have any masks

Probably bad gif example, touching of the face

Unless I losing my mind, quite possible I know, hasn’t it already been proven a mask will not help at all?

This is the part that is really tough to watch for me. I have been getting at least two calls a day from small businesses that I represent asking about how to handle the layoffs from a legal standpoint. My suggestion has been to reduce everyone's hours or pay uniformly for the next pay period or two as opposed to letting some people go, if possible. Its really heart wrenching to see., and certainly makes me appreciate what I have.
Totally agree. We also have 5.7 times the population of Italy so our number would have to be larger by a corresponding amount to be on the same trajectory as Italy.

Over 70% of Americans can’t work from home as many are in the service and retail industry. My wife and I were talking about it yesterday and if this virus would have hit when we first married in 1994 we would have lost more than half of our income as she worked for Northwest airlines and I worked in retail electronics on 100% commissions. It would have been a big hardship on us and we likely would have not been able to pay our house payment or bills any other way than credit card advances.

This will hit at least half of Americans very hard financially and the best we can hope for is that in another 45 days things will start getting back to normal.

Unless I losing my mind, quite possible I know, hasn’t it already been proven a mask will not help at all?
Its ridiculous. Normally I would't care and just write it off as a placebo effect, but its actively preventing the people who need them in the healthcare and related fields from being protected. How stupid is that? Its like having a great fire department and giving them a dozen super soakers. Give your masks to the people who need to to, you know, do things like trying to stop the spread of the f#$&@! virus that you are wearing the mask for int he first place?

If there is another form of life somewhere in the universe, this is not our best reflection of the intelligence of humanity.

When this is all over I would love to know how many were smokers compared to non-smokers.
I heard something about an initial report out of China. Male smokers, but I don’t remember the details. Also saw an initial study out of China showing a potential correlation between blood type and indicence rates (A more likley, O less likley)

I heard something about an initial report out of China. Male smokers, but I don’t remember the details. Also saw an initial study out of China showing a potential correlation between blood type and indicence rates (A more likley, O less likley)

I saw that blood type article too, but there were so many holes in their logic. As a person with Type O negative blood I liked the idea of it, but the study was greatly lacking.

I also then learned that @JB doesn't know his blood type. Is that a common thing? I thought most people knew their blood type.

I saw that blood type article too, but there were so many holes in their logic. As a person with Type O negative blood I liked the idea of it, but the study was greatly lacking.

I also then learned that @JB doesn't know his blood type. Is that a common thing? I thought most people knew their blood type.
I'm on JB's side, I have no idea. I should probably figure that out.

Largely correct, standard don't and they need to be changed. Equally important is eye protection as well, so those people who made full face masks out of soda bottles and such will have a leg up lol

Its ridiculous. Normally I would't care and just write it off as a placebo effect, but its actively preventing the people who need them in the healthcare and related fields from being protected. How stupid is that? Its like having a great fire department and giving them a dozen super soakers. Give your masks to the people who need to to, you know, do things like trying to stop the spread of the f#$&@! virus that you are wearing the mask for int he first place?

If there is another form of life somewhere in the universe, this is not our best reflection of the intelligence of humanity.

I work in healthcare, though not in the hospital itself but we have to follow the regulations they set up. Still we may be exempt as we cut out most face to face contact

I have no idea on mine tbh, but don't think I ever her to really know it. Probably something I should figure out

Good friend of mine's Mom works for a local hospital group. She is a purchaser and they have ordered $20M of hospital beds, mattresses and ventilators just for their select group of hospitals. All of that in 4 days as well... that does not include anything outside of beds/mattress/ventilators.

So my friend works for Summit Golf Brands (Fairway & Greene / Zero Restriction) here in Wisconsin and they were just told via memo that they will keep working full time, but get paid 15% less. The brand has lost so many contracts due to the tournaments closing that they can't pay employees full pay. Crazy to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back