Costco Kirkland Signature Putters?

I went to Costco online. I didnt see this putter but was surprised with the Callaway Edge club sets, bags, balls and other itmes. Heck you can buy an indoor training area or a SIM.

I haven’t bought a new putter in a decade so I’m unlikely to jump in on this especially at the anticipated $149. My parents are both Costco and golf fanatics. Hopefully the two don’t merge...

People do love their Costco haha.
If the price I have heard is correct, it is $149.
Which makes it higher/in line than a number of Cleveland Golf putters, and that is hysterical to me. :D

My father will buy anything from Costco. If they hit the shelves there I won't be surprised if he comes home with one then he will tell me how great it is because everything at Costco is awesome.

Which is a complete insult to Cleveland. With this kirkland rubbish. That is just terrible Cleveland tries to put out a quality product and at $149 might not be the biggest sellers and then this mockery comes in and every Costco hound in the nation owns one...
Hmmm, Sounds like me.Woof! I doubt they targeted Cleveland anymore than other OEMs did back when HI-Bore was introduced or how wedges began to look faintly like CBX's.

Nothing on their website right now; looks a bit chintzy to me, but if they stock them I will look at one. Their balls all got recalled, didn't they, so ....

Not sure why anyone would argue with competition. Do you have any proof that the product is rubbish? The info I've read above on it makes it sound like a reasonable product.

Full disclosure: I'm not a Costco member. In case anyone tries to imply I'm a "Costco hound."

Its an interesting thought.
Let me ask this. If the putter said Home Depot on it or Walmart on it would the same thoughts be in place? Despite it possibly being fine in terms of performance?

The reason I ask is we literally see in every single thread about a brand like Wilson that it is a "walmart brand" and they are priced similarly than these. Yet they have a R&D department in place designing. So I am always generally curious about this type of thing.

Sure, that's allI I need is to add another putter to the inventory of ones I don't use. $149 does sound pricey for Costco.

People do love their Costco haha.
If the price I have heard is correct, it is $149.
Which makes it higher/in line than a number of Cleveland Golf putters, and that is hysterical to me. :D
Yes, $149 is way too high when the real thing can be had for less from Cleveland, Ping, or many others.

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 9.02.46 AM.png

Yes, $149 is way too high when the real thing can be had for less from Cleveland, Ping, or many others.

Im hopeful that is not accurate and it comes in at $99, but I am not sure to the target audience if it will matter. I say that genuinely.

If it said Home Depot there's also a chance it also says Milwaukee or DeWalt:D but that's because I like Home Depot and Lowe's. I think it'd be cool. Who has a Home Depot putter? It'd be different.

The last putter I bought from a box store I think was a northwestern from K-Mart... or a similar store. I was young and didn't have lots of money... and no local golf store.

Wilson is a Walmart brand because that's how they positioned themselves... to grab that segment of the market. If they don't like it, it's up to them to change it. They HAD their time in the sun as a power house brand and executive decisions made them what they are now... when they tried to come out of that market segment with their club launch a few years ago, they decided to focus solely on right handed golfers... that's their preorogative. go for 90% of the market instead of wasting resources on a miniscule portion of 10% of the population. A business decicion undoubtedly... and it's a personal decision for me to not consider Wilson for clubs... I do like their balls apparently. I've got a couple dozen in my bag.

I still am not sure what Costco is thinking with this putter. Considering they will actually stock these. I guess for the crowd that plays golf because of social/work requirements.

Just seems odd. That said, I might grab one just to see what it is. I'm not buying it, but I'll trade a wedge for it.

If it said Home Depot there's also a chance it also says Milwaukee or DeWalt:D but that's because I like Home Depot and Lowe's. I think it'd be cool. Who has a Home Depot putter? It'd be different.

The last putter I bought from a box store I think was a northwestern from K-Mart... or a similar store. I was young and didn't have lots of money... and no local golf store.

Wilson is a Walmart brand because that's how they positioned themselves... to grab that segment of the market. If they don't like it, it's up to them to change it. They HAD their time in the sun as a power house brand and executive decisions made them what they are now... when they tried to come out of that market segment with their club launch a few years ago, they decided to focus solely on right handed golfers... that's their preorogative. go for 90% of the market instead of wasting resources on a miniscule portion of 10% of the population. A business decicion undoubtedly... and it's a personal decision for me to not consider Wilson for clubs... I do like their balls apparently. I've got a couple dozen in my bag.

Wilson makes clubs and has for several years for both RH and LH golfers.

I think the Kirkland brand is more tolerable for the disposable golf items (balls, gloves) - - when it comes to the actual clubs, which have a sense of permanence for some golfers, I think there will be a much smaller audience.

Let me ask this. If the putter said Home Depot on it or Walmart on it would the same thoughts be in place? Despite it possibly being fine in terms of performance?

The reason I ask is we literally see in every single thread about a brand like Wilson that it is a "walmart brand" and they are priced similarly than these. Yet they have a R&D department in place designing. So I am always generally curious about this type of thing.

Personally, I will try a club if I think it suites my game and I feel the quality and performance is worth my investment. I'm not loyal to any specific brand. There are brands I have sort of a history with and may tend to get along with, but I'm not married to them. I currently have a Callaway driver, taylormade fw and putter, ping hybrid, mizuno irons and Honma wedges, Bridgestone ball in the bag. Putting is also a bit unique in that the tech of the club can become somewhat less critical to the results someone gets out of it. The details of this Kirkland putter sound pretty legitimate, so I just don't get why anyone would bash it without actually seeing/touching one.

For the record, I think a Home depot putter would be pretty bad arse.

Perhaps I'm the exception and not the rule though...

The walmart moniker for Wilson is earned though. For years, and wilson admits this. They chose to go the budget full set route.

Wilson going the budget box set for a time was a conscious decision by them. They chose revenue over product. That's a fine decision. They sold a ton of box sets and made money.

I think this putter is a result of the craze that happened around the original Kirkland ball. That ball was really good. It was also a screaming good deal. This putter is not a screaming deal. I think that is the real difference here. It may be a good deal, meaning it is a quality product and for comparable quality it could be priced right. But, as it has mentioned at that price point you are squarely in the range of some more well known OEM products.

The walmart moniker for Wilson is earned though. For years, and wilson admits this. They chose to go the budget full set route.

Right. I didn't say otherwise.
My point was why is it okay to dismiss one brand for selling in a big box store, but not okay to dismiss the big box store brand outright?

why you gotta make fun of Costco? Where else can you get a hotdog, TP, water, tires, BBQ grill AND the meat to cook in it, a TV to watch, AND some beer to drink while all that is going on? At a reduced price because you bought in bulk.

Now, where am I gonna put that 24 pk of beer and the 8#'s of meat I grilled up.:ROFLMAO:
Nope, you get a 36 pack at Costco.

Right. I didn't say otherwise.
My point was why is it okay to dismiss one brand for selling in a big box store, but not okay to dismiss the big box store brand outright?

I think the difference here is that the Ksig putter is actually be produced by the store. Not a OEM making the product then placing it in the store. I am not dismissing either really. I bought a wilson box set for my wife a few years back. At Walmart. Even with my phenomenal (joke) equipment knowledge. I decided that for her the budget set was fine.

So I guess, my counter question is why is the Kirkland putter being dismissed and not worthy of the $150 price tag because it says Kirkland. It may not be worth it, but we do not know that yet.

EDIT** One more thing. From the surface, this putter appears to have a decent quality. That remains to be seen but lets say that it is good quality. The Wilson box stuff was/is not really good or great quality. I think that could potentially be a difference as well.

Wilson makes clubs and has for several years for both RH and LH golfers.
Yes, they do... but during that launch for new irons and driver (not sure if it was the cortex or not) they didn't have lefty options at all. I think there was a THP event surrounding it too.

It's a petty reason to be upset at Wilson, but it's my reason. At least I'm not doubling down!:ROFLMAO: Because, TEEM is/was having some issues with lefty clubs too so the TEEM entries were righty only.

I can rationalize this in my mind since Wilson accepts their fate as a budget club in Walmart... and Toure Edge is gaining market share. They're underdogs. Who doesn't love underdogs? I know. Logic doesn't always work in my world:ROFLMAO:

Just curious, is it the design? Or the logo you disdain? The description of the putter seems solid. Whether it is a value or not is debatable. I am not that interested, but the putter itself all else aside seems solid enough.

You get a decent amount of stuff with this putter as well. super stroke grip with the weight, a head weight kit for fine tuning. That is way more than you typically see in a putter in the $150 category.
Yes.

And the grip that will wear out too fast does little for me.

I think the difference here is that the Ksig putter is actually be produced by the store. Not a OEM making the product then placing it in the store. I am not dismissing either really. I bought a wilson box set for my wife a few years back. At Walmart. Even with my phenomenal (joke) equipment knowledge. I decided that for her the budget set was fine.

So I guess, my counter question is why is the Kirkland putter being dismissed and not worthy of the $150 price tag because it says Kirkland. It may not be worth it, but we do not know that yet.

I'm confused. Is there an assumption that all of the sudden Costco has an R&D team? I think most would assume they had this made for them or bought open stock (combo of both actually).

I genuinely dont think it is being dismissed, but rather what I mentioned earlier. Those that pay attention down to the finite amount of performance would surely prefer a product that has a team in place that tests, right? I mean there is an entire hysterical thread on OEM testing, but nobody thinks that Costco is testing product, they know they are buying existing or sourcing and in return offering it at a discounted price to its member base.

With that said, Costco for years had a "policy" of 10% margins and there is no way this is only 10 points.

EDIT** One more thing. From the surface, this putter appears to have a decent quality. That remains to be seen but lets say that it is good quality. The Wilson box stuff was/is not really good or great quality. I think that could potentially be a difference as well.
How does a big box store making it, make it better than an actual golf company making clubs and selling them in a big box store?

Yes.

And the grip that will wear out too fast does little for me.

Haha, yes to which part? So your not a fan of super stroke grips?

Maybe this is a dumb question but I wonder if this was a Members Mark (Sam's Club brand) putter would people be less interested? Or simply because of the Kirkland Ball will this be a big hit?

Back