Cutting down shaft length on driver

Do you recommend any particular brand or style of lead tape?

I would recommend the 5g lead tape tabs golfsmith sells. They are from golfmechanix (awesome), and they use an actually decent adhesive on the back (a 3M PSA). Most lead tapes I use don't stick well...but love this version. I much prefer to any roll version I have had from Golfworks, Golfsmith or Mitchell.

Results?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honestly never got around to it. Stumbled onto the HZRDUS/XR16 combo and I haven't had a need for it. Ended up selling the G30.

When I had my driver cut to 44.5, I had the Dicks club tech keep the swingweight as the original. It only cost me e few extra bucks.

Dicks hot melts ? Or did he use lead tape or tungsten stickers ? Or lighter grip to trick the scale ?

Trimmed new R15 down to 44", kept the stock shaft, and added 30g to head (12deg loft):

df9252904afa6774e0fcd082d2e93aa7.jpg
3609ce161d4565919f524d52c7a2112f.jpg

Last edited:
He threw some weight down into the bottom of the shaft.
Dicks hot melts ? Or did he use lead tape or tungsten stickers ? Or lighter grip to trick the scale ?

What are your initial results with this setup? Love the quad weights!

Trimmed new R15 down to 44", kept the stock shaft, and added 30g to head (12deg loft):

What are your initial results with this setup? Love the quad weights!

Still trying to break-in... Tending to severely slice/fade. Need to experiment with loft and weight position.

Would love to get some more feedback. I just picked up R15 460 on a sweet deal for July 4th. I've been gaming My Adams Driver at 44.5 and never have tried out an adjustable driver.

The one thing that concerned me with the TM R15 adjustable driver is the length (45.5), and if I were to cut it down an inch, how to "add" weight. So, you added two(2) 15g weights to the standard 12.5g weights ? If you cut 1.5inches off that is 9sw points or 18grams. Do you feel the driver heavier since in essence you added 30gr, which is 12gr additional weight compared to 1.5inches removed for the butt of the shaft ?

Still trying to break-in... Tending to severely slice/fade. Need to experiment with loft and weight position.

That's a lot of weight on the end of a long stick to get squared up.

Would love to get some more feedback. I just picked up R15 460 on a sweet deal for July 4th. I've been gaming My Adams Driver at 44.5 and never have tried out an adjustable driver.

The one thing that concerned me with the TM R15 adjustable driver is the length (45.5), and if I were to cut it down an inch, how to "add" weight. So, you added two(2) 15g weights to the standard 12.5g weights ? If you cut 1.5inches off that is 9sw points or 18grams. Do you feel the driver heavier since in essence you added 30gr, which is 12gr additional weight compared to 1.5inches removed for the butt of the shaft ?

Yes to both your questions, but I'm thinking I may have to reduce some of the weight to strike the ball properly. I actually like the heavier feel, but it is obviously affecting my swing/shots.

Been a fun learning experience, experiment.

I purchased the weights from Golf Works.

That's a lot of weight on the end of a long stick to get squared up.

You're right, and will probably reduce some of the weight to correct my deficiencies. More to follow.

You're right, and will probably reduce some of the weight to correct my deficiencies. More to follow.

I've been down this path before with the SLDR.

I also tried adding weight around the hosel with lead tape and/or tungsten powder in the shaft and I found that makes a hook machine.

The best result for me so far has been heavier shafts so that the weight is more evenly distributed along the club. It's a little bit of trial and error.

I'm playing an 80 gram shaft in my 915 D2 that was cut to play at 44.5" and swing weights to D2 with the stock 9 gram head weight.

You guys have to remember also that when you add all that weight to the head it's going to soften up the shaft.

Update: Removed one of the standard 12.5 gram weights. Driver setup is two 15 gram weights with one standard 12.5 in the center. Also adjusted to 14 deg loft. After viewing a few anti-slice drills (thanks You Tube), shot is a bit straighter with a few draws in the mix...

59e81d751a98d0dce1141c608aae0cfd.jpg

I am playing a 44.25 shaft length that my clubmaker asked me to try. Since I do not like much hot melt, he put extra screws in the adjustable head or added weight in the hosel (don't ask me how) to get to D2 in an XR16. It is more accurate. I am thinking that optimum balance for me is between 44.25-44.50. Above that length and I begin to feel odd with the driver and the swing goes awry leading to inconsisistency and less distance.

As to PGA Driver shaft length, they are getting longer. I cannot find the article, but shaft length is creeping up so it's 45 inches. Graham McDowell uses a 46.5 inch driver shaft. I found an old post of mine based on an article I found over a year ago (can't find the article now)

Sergio is at 44.5, one of the shorter lengths on tour.

Pros are going longer --

Graham McDowell 46.5
Majority of TM Players 45.5
Titleist Pros are at 45 inches.

Last edited:
Update: Removed one of the standard 12.5 gram weights. Driver setup is two 15 gram weights with one standard 12.5 in the center. Also adjusted to 14 deg loft. After viewing a few anti-slice drills (thanks You Tube), shot is a bit straighter with a few draws in the mix...

What stiffness is the shaft you are using with the 4-weight, now 3-weight setup? I would venture a guess you'd need a much stiffer shaft with that kind of setup.

I am going to go with jb's mini driver idea and cut down a gbb 13.5 I have. Going to play the driver around 43'. Anything I need to know? I am hoping that it will get stiffer with it being shorter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to go with jb's mini driver idea and cut down a gbb 13.5 I have. Going to play the driver around 43'. Anything I need to know? I am hoping that it will get stiffer with it being shorter.

Butt cutting the shaft will stiffen it up slightly. The majority of your shaft flex is in the tip section, so butt cutting won't make a huge difference on stiffness. But once you add weight to the head to bring the swingweight back to where you want it, it'll soften the shaft more than what butt cutting the shaft down gained you.

You'd have to find the right combination of tipping and butt cutting to get the stiffness you want. Of course all of this is dependent on how much weight you're going to add to the head to compensate, if any.

Butt cutting the shaft will stiffen it up slightly. The majority of your shaft flex is in the tip section, so butt cutting won't make a huge difference on stiffness. But once you add weight to the head to bring the swingweight back to where you want it, it'll soften the shaft more than what butt cutting the shaft down gained you.

You'd have to find the right combination of tipping and butt cutting to get the stiffness you want. Of course all of this is dependent on how much weight you're going to add to the head to compensate, if any.

Good stuff. Thanks for the info.

Good stuff. Thanks for the info.

But for the record, I cut my drivers down to 44", and I really couldn't feel a bit of difference on the weight balance of it. I added 4g of lead tape to the head and it still didn't feel any different.

You could gradually go down from current length until you find a balance. Start at 44.5, go down to 44, then 43.5, or grip down at 44.5 to experiment. Once one cuts, it's tough to extend. Good luck.

But for the record, I cut my drivers down to 44", and I really couldn't feel a bit of difference on the weight balance of it. I added 4g of lead tape to the head and it still didn't feel any different.

I've found it depends on the shaft. My Ping G with Tour 80 (think it weighs around 67g) still feels fine at 43.5" with no added weight to the head. Throw a stock Alta shaft in there at 43.5" and you'll never feel the head because it's a very high counterbalanced shaft.

I've found it depends on the shaft. My Ping G with Tour 80 (think it weighs around 67g) still feels fine at 43.5" with no added weight to the head. Throw a stock Alta shaft in there at 43.5" and you'll never feel the head because it's a very high counterbalanced shaft.

Yeah that could be. On my Titleist drivers I've used a 50g bassara, s+ 62g diamana, d+72g diamana and a 60g aldila rogue silver and haven't noticed any difference in feel on any of them once cut down, besides more center club hits. Launch monitor numbers were pretty comparable, but my ball speed numbers were slightly higher... probably due to hitting the sweet spot more often.

I plan to cut my SLDR S 0.5" from the tip .... so the new length will be 44". I hope it works :fingers-crossed:

Played 18 today with the three weight configuration and 12 deg loft. Many straight tee shots, and out drove my playing partners on most holes (which was around 240 yds avg).

Back