Daniel Berger not qualified for Masters

RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf Twitter is an uproar over this, and its pretty funny.

The argument is that he could win the FedEx Cup and is playing great golf, and not be in.

The Masters field is set early on and this event upcoming is based on the April field, which he didnt qualify for. The argument against that is that he is playing better than many, but I would say he is doing so to qualify for next April's event.

Think it's kinda whiny that he wants the rules changed for his benefit. He has already qualified for 2021.

I have no problem with it. You can’t boot somebody who qualified for the 2020 tournament just because Berger is playing well in the qualifying period for 2021.

out of curiosity, if someone withdraws is he next in line?

If the season was normal the Masters would have been played and he would have missed it.. His win qualifies him for the next one. Nice thing is it wont be too long of a wait. Suck it up Berger. You really understand this and you are being a baby.

He's in next year. I don't feel bad. Ever since he got mad at a volunteer for a terrible chip he hit, I wasn't really a big fan

Just one of those things. He will be good for April assuming the world is somewhat back to normal.

He wasn’t playing well before quarantine so he’s not in.

Also I’m still annoyed about that one WGC where he took a spot with a shoulder injury hit one tee shot withdrew and pocketed $50k

you didnt qualify for the 2020 Masters plain and simple... was it held in a different month yes, but you knew what you needed to do to qualify last year.

Unfortunate but it is what it is.

Didn't Phil and some others get into the USOpen despite not being qualified for it? Due to extended exemptions or something?

Obviously The Masters is their own governing body, but oh well. He's in fantastic form.

I totally get that he isn't in because he was recovering from injury and was around 100th in the world at the time. If the Masters wants the best possible field they should add him. I think I read that there are only 96 players in the field right now. Maybe if they looked at something like the top 5 players that aren't in the field already that are in the top 20 or 50 in the OWGR should be in the field.

I totally get that he isn't in because he was recovering from injury and was around 100th in the world at the time. If the Masters wants the best possible field they should add him. I think I read that there are only 96 players in the field right now. Maybe if they looked at something like the top 5 players that aren't in the field already that are in the top 20 or 50 in the OWGR should be in the field.

Does that mean if he is playing poorly leading up to 2021, they can boot him out?

Unfortunate but it is what it is.

Didn't Phil and some others get into the USOpen despite not being qualified for it? Due to extended exemptions or something?

Obviously The Masters is their own governing body, but oh well. He's in fantastic form.
Yes, they had to update the criteria because holding local qualifiers was unrealistic in this climate.

I wouldn't be shocked if something similar ends up happening with The Masters. Obviously there aren't qualifiers, but I could see there being a smaller field with fewer of the older guys or international players accepting the invitation.

Also, it was all the way back in 2019 when The Masters extended a special invitation. There is nothing preventing them from doing it again.

I'm ok with him not being in. Just because the event moved doesn't mean qualifying should be changed. All the participants are based on April and not November.

He'll be there next year so it's a non issue for me

Does that mean if he is playing poorly leading up to 2021, they can boot him out?
this is where I stand on it.. The Masters field was set and moved - and that field should be unchanged.

It's the time to play for next April's field. Seems pretty simple.

Has anyone explained this to him?

Or does he feel entitled?

One likes to see the hot players in what is historically a weaker field (we are told).

Last edited:
this is where I stand on it.. The Masters field was set and moved - and that field should be unchanged.

It's the time to play for next April's field. Seems pretty simple.
He isn't owed a spot in it. But if I'm running The Masters, I would want him there. And they certainly have the ability to include him.

If he is qualified for next years Masters, then why cry. You should have been playing well earlier and you would have qualified for this years tourney.

i have no problem with this. the tournament set the parameters. he didn’t meet those criterion. oh well.

It sucks that he isn't able to play but the field was set. Could they add him? Sure.

Back