Danielle Kang distances and shafts

MGoBlue

2021 Titleist Experience!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Saw this online and was surprised by her distances and the fact that she uses a stiff flex driver shaft and stiff irons and wedges. FWs and hybrid are R flex.

View attachment 9249279
This is very surprising. I don't see how anyone with 225 driver carry could be competitive on the 6400-6800 yd courses typically played by the LPGA.
There are also no hybrids in her bag which is also very unusual for an LPGA pro.

This is very surprising. I don't see how anyone with 225 driver carry could be competitive on the 6400-6800 yd courses typically played by the LPGA.
There are also no hybrids in her bag which is also very unusual for an LPGA pro.
She does say she sometimes swaps a hybrid for the 4-iron.

Average LPGA in 2022 when we last tracked it was less than 6300 yards

According to the LPGA site she is averaging 239 yds with driver this season.

The other thing I found interesting is that she says she uses the ProV1 over the X because she wants more height and spin. When I was at the 2021 Titleist Experience I asked the Titleist guys what I should be playing for more height and spin, and they said ProV1x. Hmmm.

The other thing I found interesting is that she says she uses the ProV1 over the X because she wants more height and spin. When I was at the 2021 Titleist Experience I asked the Titleist guys what I should be playing for more height and spin, and they said ProV1x. Hmmm.
Yea, that's definitely backwards.

Remember, most tracks are firmed up for professional tournament play.
I'm sure when she's fit by the Titleist team that it's a better session than we get with CC or just about any fitter out there.
Shaft flex should be determined by quality of strike and how you load in transition, IMHO.

Yet, there she is....
Great putter, good short game and generally hit's it straight.
Lydia Ko is a relatively short hitter, as are a lot of very good LPGA players.
Nasa Hataoka, Ayaka Furae are contending week in and week out. They do not hit it far.

This is carry, so add 25-35 of roll.

I think it goes to show how good their ball striking is

Yet, there she is....
Great putter, good short game and generally hit's it straight.
Lydia Ko is a relatively short hitter, as are a lot of very good LPGA players.
Nasa Hataoka, Ayaka Furae are contending week in and week out. They do not hit it far.
It is very interesting that many top LPGA players are below average in driving distance. They are all very accurate off the tee and comfortable hitting FW and hybrid clubs on approach shots, and need to do so much more often than PGA golfers.

The attachment shows current PGA tour scoring leaders. Players averaging 5 yds or more below the 294 yd average for that tour are highlighted. Only 5 players driving 289 yds or less make the top 25 in scoring. Zach Johnson at 281 yds is the shortest hitter in the top 25. I suspect a list like this for the LPGA would include more relatively short hitters.

Attachments

• list.jpg
    list.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 13
Average LPGA in 2022 when we last tracked it was less than 6300 yards
Do you know how much that differed from listed yardages? Listed yardage on LPGA site for tournaments completed in 2024 is between 6557 yds and 6749 yds.

It is very interesting that many top LPGA players are below average in driving distance. They are all very accurate off the tee and comfortable hitting FW and hybrid clubs on approach shots, and need to do so much more often than PGA golfers.

The attachment shows current PGA tour scoring leaders. Players averaging 5 yds or more below the 294 yd average for that tour are highlighted. Only 5 players driving 289 yds or less make the top 25 in scoring. Zach Johnson at 281 yds is the shortest hitter in the top 25. I suspect a list like this for the LPGA would include more relatively short hitters.
Danielle Kang is a very short driver of the ball, she ranks 140/149 currently in LPGA tour driving distance. She is also far below average in scoring this season at 123/149.

The attachment shows that four players ranked 100/149 in driving distance or lower are in the top 15 in scoring. Notably, the player ranked #1 in driving distance is also #1 in scoring this season.

Attachments

• Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 15
Yea, that's definitely backwards.
One of the main lessons of this thread is that those of us who are hitting approach shots with hybrid/higher lofted FW clubs should look closely at the bag setups and balls for Jin Young, Furue, and Meghan Khang. They are clearly stopping the ball on enough greens to be highly competitive.

Not sure about Lydia - she is a generational talent with otherworldly short game skills ;)

One of the main lessons of this thread is that those of us who are hitting approach shots with hybrid/higher lofted FW clubs should look closely at the bag setups and balls for Jin Young, Furue, and Meghan Khang. They are clearly stopping the ball on enough greens to be highly competitive.

Not sure about Lydia - she is a generational talent with otherworldly short game skills ;)
If someone is hitting approach shots with those clubs they should consider moving up a tee.

If someone is hitting approach shots with those clubs they should consider moving up a tee.
Yes, definitely. However some golfers in competitive play may not be able to choose the more forward tees. For example, there are seniors who are qualified by age to play forward, but may have HCs too low to allow it in certain leagues.

What if someone plays hybrids up to 7i because they’re more comfortable with that look than an iron. Should that person move up just because they’re hitting a hybrid.

What if someone plays hybrids up to 7i because they’re more comfortable with that look than an iron. Should that person move up just because they’re hitting a hybrid.
That isn’t what was said. It said FWs and Hybrids which obviously signifies longer clubs

Reread the section on the ball. She says she likes the x spin better than regular Pro V1 and on the Titleist site it shows her as an X player.

Reread the section on the ball. She says she likes the x spin better than regular Pro V1 and on the Titleist site it shows her as an X player.
Um…. Never mind!
Seth Meyers Stop GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Reading is fundamental I guess. Thanks.

Wouldn’t think she is anything other than a very good competitor and champion player , her body of work and results shows that … ain’t how far ya hit , it’s how many times ya win .

According to the LPGA site she is averaging 239 yds with driver this season.
Likely the difference in Carry vs Total. Numbers in the first post are carry distances.

Was expecting longer distances. Surprised.

Back