I have been thinking about this DDP yoga for awhile now and recently my wife mentioned that she might want to try it. I see that they have different dvd offering/packages so should we consider just the one with two dvd's to start or go for the 4 dvd set?

We are both in mid 50's now and she has arthritis (rheumatoid) to a degree. We try to get out and walk so she gets to exercise the knees and hips and all. We are also in the process of losing some weight thru diet changes so that should help. I do fine walking and can walk golf course etc without too much of an issue.

I have been thinking about this DDP yoga for awhile now and recently my wife mentioned that she might want to try it. I see that they have different dvd offering/packages so should we consider just the one with two dvd's to start or go for the 4 dvd set?

We are both in mid 50's now and she has arthritis (rheumatoid) to a degree. We try to get out and walk so she gets to exercise the knees and hips and all. We are also in the process of losing some weight thru diet changes so that should help. I do fine walking and can walk golf course etc without too much of an issue.

My recommendation is to check out the DDP Now app. They usually have a free 7 day trial. You can explore the different workouts and if you enjoy it. If you do you can either renew the app, or buy the dvds at that point.

My recommendation is to check out the DDP Now app. They usually have a free 7 day trial. You can explore the different workouts and if you enjoy it. If you do you can either renew the app, or buy the dvds at that point.

If I were to do it again I think I would go with the app myself. Being able to do it whenever and wherever without having the DVD's plus the fact that new workouts get added makes it a good deal.

DDP Yoga Now subscription was just activated today. I have been doing pretty well the last few months but had a bit of a relapse this past weekend. I think it is due to the fact that I have been pretty inactive due to schedule constraints the last few weeks. Looking forward to the journey. I think I am going to start off with the intermediate program and see if I need to back down to something a little easier.

DDP Yoga Now subscription was just activated today. I have been doing pretty well the last few months but had a bit of a relapse this past weekend. I think it is due to the fact that I have been pretty inactive due to schedule constraints the last few weeks. Looking forward to the journey. I think I am going to start off with the intermediate program and see if I need to back down to something a little easier.

I think I'm going to be activating that subscription this week also. I'm going to be out of town but still want to get my workouts in so it's probably time I take the leap.

I think I'm going to be activating that subscription this week also. I'm going to be out of town but still want to get my workouts in so it's probably time I take the leap.

I wonder how long each workout takes. Are they roughly an hour long on the DVD's?

I wonder how long each workout takes. Are they roughly an hour long on the DVD's?

They range anywhere from short, 15 minute workouts up to an hour. The ones I've mostly done are 30-45 minutes.

Depends on the workout.

The initial phase is about 30-35 minutes, the next level is about 40 minutes and then the harder workouts are about an hour. The Core focused workouts are 15-20 minutes.

My only concern is getting over the hump at home. Much easier for me to work out when I have to leave the house to do it. At home, there are so many distractions.

Paging @bigdill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for reminding me, I am totally going to give this a shot once I get my life sorted this week.

My only concern is getting over the hump at home. Much easier for me to work out when I have to leave the house to do it. At home, there are so many distractions.

Can totally see that, but I am the opposite. Being able to do these at home (or on the road) takes out going to the gym, finding parking, having to get on the machine/weights that I want... Others like @KEV can probably give you his experience since I think you guys have more similar home situations than I can relate to.

EDIT: this is also why I recommend signing up for the App, get a week free and see if it actually works for you/your schedule. If it does, find a plan that you want to do (I went yearly) and if it doesn't cancel it and pay nothing. I have gotten to like DDP and think he is a funny character, but I could see others finding him real annoying, and the workouts might be something you either like or not

Can totally see that, but I am the opposite. Being able to do these at home (or on the road) takes out going to the gym, finding parking, having to get on the machine/weights that I want... Others like @KEV can probably give you his experience since I think you guys have more similar home situations than I can relate to.

EDIT: this is also why I recommend signing up for the App, get a week free and see if it actually works for you/your schedule. If it does, find a plan that you want to do (I went yearly) and if it doesn't cancel it and pay nothing. I have gotten to like DDP and think he is a funny character, but I could see others finding him real annoying, and the workouts might be something you either like or not

I'm the same as you @mancest. It's tough for me to carve out time to head to the gym, do my workout and get back home. With this I've been doing it after we put the kids to bed during the week and my wife goes and catches up on whatever show she's watching. Weekends I'll get it kicked out right away in the morning.

On the flip side I know there are some like you @radiman that enjoy the gym more or it just works out better. It's really just finding what's best for you.

And I'm with you Roger, I actually enjoy DDP. He can be a little goofy and awkward but I enjoy it.

I'm the same as you @mancest. It's tough for me to carve out time to head to the gym, do my workout and get back home. With this I've been doing it after we put the kids to bed during the week and my wife goes and catches up on whatever show she's watching. Weekends I'll get it kicked out right away in the morning.

On the flip side I know there are some like you @radiman that enjoy the gym more or it just works out better. It's really just finding what's best for you.

And I'm with you Roger, I actually enjoy DDP. He can be a little goofy and awkward but I enjoy it.

It is a motivation thing for me. When I am at the gym, I will push myself a little further since I am already there. If I took the trouble to drive to the gym, it is no big deal to push my workout to an hour and a half or so. This is typically done at night after my kids have gone to bed and there isn't a lot of people fighting over the same equipment.

It looks like these are pretty short in comparison though. A half hour workout should be no problem.

Also, I was a big wrestling fan back when DDP was active. If he carries a bit of that energy/character into these workouts, I can dig that.

Alright. Did my first session as recommended in their intermediate program. The diamond dozen. Just a quick introduction to the various moves. I've always been pretty limber but as I inch closer and closer to 40 I am getting a little tighter. I have a few trouble spots. I completely tore one of my right hamstrings in Tae Kwon Do years ago. When I was younger, I could still straighten the leg just fine. Now that I'm older, it's really tight and it's started to limit my hip mobility. but, overall, I'm probably more flexible than your average almost 40 year old.

My biggest issue currently is a bulging disc. The only remedy seems to be finding the sweet spot of movements that force fluids into the disc without over exerting it. It's been going pretty well this winter after getting some professional help. This past weekend I sat on hard uncomfortable bleachers 3 hours on Fri, Sat, and Sun for my daughter's figure skating show. It really put me back. After this basic session, I already feel a little bit of relief. It's just a matter of not wallowing in my own self pity. Gotta just keep moving and work through it. I don't think I could have done any heavy lifting tonight. This was the perfect supplement.

I could get my body in all of the positions just fine. Struggled a bit getting to downward dog as in on carpet and I kept slipping. I added in an additional hip movement routine that I found on there. So, the total time tonight was just over an hour. I plan on doing that hip routine for a while to see if it helps loosen things up down there. Tomorrow is rest day for the yoga, but plan on hitting the gym for squats and deadlifts.

One question for the DDP veterans here. None of the movements seemed to focus on any rotational movements. There was some, but the focus seemed to be on elongating the back. Is there any workouts on the docket that you could recommend for someone looking to work their lower back a little more?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am downloading this and will do my first workout later today. I was doing a 30 day Yoga challenge from Amazon Prime video that I enjoyed but it did get a little too "fluffy" for me. I love the gym, lifting weights and will continue to do that but as the weather gets better I start focusing on outdoor activities for cardio like cycling, walking 18 and some light running.

The Yoga workout was great for for helping flexibility and was surprised at how high my heart rate would get doing the Vinyasa flows. I'm looking forward to seeing how DDP compares as my initial impression is it seems like more "manly yoga".

Alright. Did my first session as recommended in their intermediate program. The diamond dozen. Just a quick introduction to the various moves. I've always been pretty limber but as I inch closer and closer to 40 I am getting a little tighter. I have a few trouble spots. I completely tore one of my right hamstrings in Tae Kwon Do years ago. When I was younger, I could still straighten the leg just fine. Now that I'm older, it's really tight and it's started to limit my hip mobility. but, overall, I'm probably more flexible than your average almost 40 year old.

My biggest issue currently is a bulging disc. The only remedy seems to be finding the sweet spot of movements that force fluids into the disc without over exerting it. It's been going pretty well this winter after getting some professional help. This past weekend I sat on hard uncomfortable bleachers 3 hours on Fri, Sat, and Sun for my daughter's figure skating show. It really put me back. After this basic session, I already feel a little bit of relief. It's just a matter of not wallowing in my own self pity. Gotta just keep moving and work through it. I don't think I could have done any heavy lifting tonight. This was the perfect supplement.

I could get my body in all of the positions just fine. Struggled a bit getting to downward dog as in on carpet and I kept slipping. I added in an additional hip movement routine that I found on there. So, the total time tonight was just over an hour. I plan on doing that hip routine for a while to see if it helps loosen things up down there. Tomorrow is rest day for the yoga, but plan on hitting the gym for squats and deadlifts.

One question for the DDP veterans here. None of the movements seemed to focus on any rotational movements. There was some, but the focus seemed to be on elongating the back. Is there any workouts on the docket that you could recommend for someone looking to work their lower back a little more?

The early workouts are more an introduction to the moves so when he says cat lift, or table that you know what to do instead of having to look at the screen to see what he is doing in the later workouts (at least I think that is what it will be for most people in decent shape.

From my experience the Broken table/broken table crunches, the warrior positions, particularly warrior to triangle and Turn and burn are the best moves for strengthening/stretching the lower back. So the best workouts I have done with those are Strength builder and Double black diamond. Below the belt does a pretty good on that, but those 2 are the tops I have done so far.

The early workouts are more an introduction to the moves so when he says cat lift, or table that you know what to do instead of having to look at the screen to see what he is doing in the later workouts (at least I think that is what it will be for most people in decent shape.

From my experience the Broken table/broken table crunches, the warrior positions, particularly warrior to triangle and Turn and burn are the best moves for strengthening/stretching the lower back. So the best workouts I have done with those are Strength builder and Double black diamond. Below the belt does a pretty good on that, but those 2 are the tops I have done so far.

The warrior pose where you reached one hand up while leaning back was probably the most difficult given my condition. I totally get the fact that it is more of an introduction. Good to have a base understanding of the moves before getting into a routine that utilizes them. I am a bit tight in the hammies and hips today. So, it did work me a bit. I will say that my back feels almost 100% today. Just a little tender yet. Plan on doing the hip opener each day this week. With leg day at the gym tonight, I think I will try to do it at home before I head out to get my workout in.

I have been doing the broken table in the form of bird dogs for a while as part of my PT routine. Probably not doing enough of them though. I seem to do better in a structured routine vs a small sheet of PT moves to do a few reps of every day. I am really optimistic that this will really help my back in the long run.

Still haven't done Double black diamond, but I agree with this. Broken table/bird dogs is a gem. I did Strength Builder again last night, and I really, really like it.

The later workouts definitely introduce moves that truly test your hip flexibility and core strength. I still suck at broken airplane; I can do it, just not well.

Because I sit way too long at work, I will randomly drop down and do some cat lift, cat arch, down dog, and cobras, just to get some movement in the lower back. It really helps alleviate the soreness/tightness from sitting all day.

For @radiman, I know you hit the weights hard, and my power-lifting buddy sent me this link for core stability exercises to do before squatting or deadlifting:

https://squatuniversity.com/2018/06/21/the-mcgill-big-3-for-core-stability/

I also do a ton of rotational work with resistance bands. One of my favorites is to put a band in a door, face perpendicular to the door, put both hands on the handle at my sternum, step to the side to create resistance, and then put my hands out in front of me for a 10 count. Then return my hands to my chest, and push them above head level, and again hold for 10 seconds. Then do the other side. This move really gets the lats and obliques firing.

Still haven't done Double black diamond, but I agree with this. Broken table/bird dogs is a gem. I did Strength Builder again last night, and I really, really like it.

The later workouts definitely introduce moves that truly test your hip flexibility and core strength. I still suck at broken airplane; I can do it, just not well.

Because I sit way too long at work, I will randomly drop down and do some cat lift, cat arch, down dog, and cobras, just to get some movement in the lower back. It really helps alleviate the soreness/tightness from sitting all day.

For @radiman, I know you hit the weights hard, and my power-lifting buddy sent me this link for core stability exercises to do before squatting or deadlifting:

https://squatuniversity.com/2018/06/21/the-mcgill-big-3-for-core-stability/

I also do a ton of rotational work with resistance bands. One of my favorites is to put a band in a door, face perpendicular to the door, put both hands on the handle at my sternum, step to the side to create resistance, and then put my hands out in front of me for a 10 count. Then return my hands to my chest, and push them above head level, and again hold for 10 seconds. Then do the other side. This move really gets the lats and obliques firing.

I wouldn't say I hit them hard. Trying to get back into them while not killing myself :)

Most of these moves get incorporated at some point during my workouts. Usually at the end. Will give them a try as a warmup tonight though.

Nice job putting the work in guys! Yesterday I listened to part of an interview with DDP on the Joe Rogan podcast and it was cool hearing him talk about his own experience with the program and some of the success stories. Evidently he is basically missing 2 discs in his back and this program has made that pain go away.

I can tell you that after playing 18 holes on Sunday and 9 holes today my back feels so much better throughout the round and afterward and I have to think it's because of this program. I need to do better about doing this workout 4 or 5 nights a week just to see how much more improvement I'd get over the 3 days.

Tomorrow is my first real scheduled routine. Tonight was a little tough at the gym nursing my back. Had to cut down on sets and spend extra time warming up and stretching after. The hip opener I did last night was a good addition to the end.

Quads are a little shaky already, so tomorrow night will be interesting to say the least.

I downloaded the app with the annual membership which seems to be the best deal. I am going to follow the program initially so Diamond Dozen later today then Energy 2.0 on Friday. It has me doing 3 workouts a week which seems fine since I plan on lifting at the gym 3 days a week while doing this. Question for the DDP Vets, did you follow the prescribed program or test the water for other workouts after a while?

I downloaded the app with the annual membership which seems to be the best deal. I am going to follow the program initially so Diamond Dozen later today then Energy 2.0 on Friday. It has me doing 3 workouts a week which seems fine since I plan on lifting at the gym 3 days a week while doing this. Question for the DDP Vets, did you follow the prescribed program or test the water for other workouts after a while?

I am no vet as I am in the very early stages myself. But, my plan is to stick to the routine for a bit sprinkling in some other workouts on a few of the rest days. After a month or so, I plan on upping to a more difficult level. That way, I am forced to expose myself to the different routines and can customize my own plan after I have a solid handle on most of the workouts.

I am no vet as I am in the very early stages myself. But, my plan is to stick to the routine for a bit sprinkling in some other workouts on a few of the rest days. After a month or so, I plan on upping to a more difficult level. That way, I am forced to expose myself to the different routines and can customize my own plan after I have a solid handle on most of the workouts.

This is pretty much my plan as well.

Back