Describe Your Town with Golf

What does "your town" mean though? That's easier to define in some places than it is in others.

Where your house of residence resides. That's "your town"

What does "your town" mean though? That's easier to define in some places than it is in others.

What do you put on the return spot on an envelope? That’s where you live

Living on South shore of Mass I'm fortunate to have a ton of choices local to me ranging from $45.00 muni's to $150.00 semi private courses. I've got 2 courses within 5 minutes of my house but I tend to gravitate towards Cape Cod for best choices.

The Wilmington golf scene is declining. We have lost 2 courses in the last 3 years. Real estate is booming and they are selling the land to be developed. It's a double edged sword here because of the proximity to Myrtle Beach. It is equal to or costs less to drive to the Myrtle Beach area to play. Courses are plentiful and usually cheaper too! Same thing with hotels. It is a lot cheaper to stay in Myrtle, than in Wilmington!

That must have been tough for you as those were the 2 closest to CB.

That must have been tough for you as those were the 2 closest to CB.

We still have Beau Rivage down this way, but there is Wilmington Municipal and 6-8 private and semi-private country clubs.

I live in golf heaven. Off the top of my head I can think of 4 public courses and 3 private within Myrtle Beach city limits and another 50 + within 1/2 hour of my house. We have a PGASS and a DSG and a number of independent retailers specializing in golf equipment, apparel and accessories. We've lost our 2 Par 3 courses here in the city but there's still one about 15 minutes away. There are courses available for everyone's budget and skill.

Not really, one golf shop, a few private courses, quite a few public, but not necessarily a traveling area or people coming to lincoln to golf.

What do you put on the return spot on an envelope? That’s where you live
How about this, then. That is looking down the 15th hole fairway to the green of Elk Run Golf Club from my living room window. It is 1 of 2 courses in Jeffersonville, IN. Both are public with memberships available. Elk Run is a $40-$50 Green Fee and the other course has a $30-$40 green.

Jeffersonville is 1/2 mile away from downtown Louisville, KY due to the Ohio River, so I consider myself a resident of Louisville more or less. fee.
ec931937830a344eb0fc2934b352cdf7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Acushnet, Mass. Surrounded by Titleist ball plant #1, #2, #3, headquaters and Manchester Lane is my backyard. Also home to the oldest 4ball in the country. In my town, we have 1 course the residents own. We also have Snell 3 miles away and Ahead sportswear who produce some nice golf hats.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Two resort courses, three public. Of the five, none of them are really all that great to write home about. But, 5 courses within 15min of the driveway.

I live in the city of McKinney, TX. It is the county seat for the Collin County, Texas, and located 32 miles North of downtown Dallas. When we moved here in 1991 the population was under 25,000 and is now just under 188,000. It has at times been rated as one of the most desirable places to live in the country. This makes it all the more sad that the city's lone municipal course gives a bad name to goat ranches. It is a pretty decent layout but not well cared for at all. There is a Club Corp property, Stonebridge Ranch, that has two courses. One is an Arthur Hills designed course with 27 holes that is really a family fun course. The other is an extremely challenging Pete Dye design. I used to belong exclusively to the Dye course when I was working but a little rich fro someone in retirement

There is one public, daily fee course in the area, Westridge, that offers annual weekday memberships at a reasonable fee, and to which I belong. It is one of the more interesting courses around in that it has 6 par 3s, 6 par 4s, and 6 par 5s. The one design feature that one can see right away is that every sand trap, and there are many, have high swooping front lips, even fairway bunkers. It also is probably the most played course in North Texas with over 62,000 rounds played there last year.

We used to have a Golf ETC that closed many years ago after being broken into a few times. There is a Second Swing and a Replay Sports Gear that both have golf equipment, in the city limits and we are about 20 miles from two PGATSS.

My town has two public courses and one private. Fargo, on the other side of the river has 2 full length courses, 2 9 hole executive type courses, and one true par 3 course in addition to their 1 private course. So, between the two cities, there 8 courses to choose from. I would not call it a golf area though. Aside from the basic ability to play golf during our short season, our retail options are limited to 1 all sports store with limited options and 1 true golf store. No fitting options beyond the OEM carts. There is one guy in the entire metro area that you can bring your club to to have any work done. As I type this out, it doesn't sound all that bad, and it isn't. Maybe saying we are not a golf area is inaccurate. A casual golf area may be a better term. No knock out courses in the area. Facilities are average.

The public courses are decent with my home course probably having the nicest greens that the public can play on. But, they get a TON of traffic. The relative nice conditions coupled with the fact that all of the Fargo courses are prone to Spring time flooding. So, we tend to get the overflow traffic. I am oh so close to convincing my wife that I need to join the Moorhead Country Club.

Lots of courses in the area (30 min drive or shorter) to choose from, just depends on how much money you are looking to spend. My town though has one public course and a couple private ones.... private have high initiation fees and public course following a $4.5mm renovation charges $100 a round so I do travel often. I have a PGA SS that is 5 mins from home and Golf Galaxy that is 25 mins away.

Here in Tucson we have tons of courses. We have anything from executive Par 3 courses to muni to super high end. There is something for everyone here and golf YEAR round! The options for what you are looking for are endless we have mountain courses,true desert courses where shot placement is everything. We will even give you a few rattlesnakes to look at in the summer!

Within the city limits of Billings, MT, we have:

- Two 18-hole private courses. One is very good - a RTJ-designed course ranked in the top 10 in the state with a brand new clubhouse and all the amenities. The other is not bad, but not nearly as good.

- One 9-hole private course. It is right in the middle of town and the 9 holes are ok, but it really tends to be more of a social club.

- Two public courses. One is very conveniently located, but is (in my opinion) a pretty terrible course and horribly overpriced. It made up for some of that by having a nationally-recognized junior program for awhile, but the pro responsible for the program has moved on. The other is a better course and a better value, but still not all that great. Public golf in Billings is severely lacking. The courses tend to be overcrowded and overpriced.

- One pretty solid golf store and another small one that I've never been to. A regional sporting goods store (Scheels) has a decent golf section too.

Just outside of the city limits, but still close enough to be considered part of town, we also have:

- One semi-private course with 36 holes. This is a pretty solid facility. Both courses are better than the other public courses in town and offers a pretty good value.

- One public course that has come a long way. When it first opened about 15-20 years ago, the fairways were still mostly dirt. Now, it's in pretty good condition and, while it has some really goofy holes, can be pretty fun to play.

You're making me all nostalgic now. I was a member at Eagle Rock the first year they opened, then Pryor Creek for quite a while after that. Played Briarwood a handful of times, never got a chance to play Yellowstone though.

You're making me all nostalgic now. I was a member at Eagle Rock the first year they opened, then Pryor Creek for quite a while after that. Played Briarwood a handful of times, never got a chance to play Yellowstone though.

If you come back to visit, let me know. I'd be happy to take you out to Yellowstone.

If you come back to visit, let me know. I'd be happy to take you out to Yellowstone.

Ohhh, that'd be awesome! I'll let you know for sure, thanks!

Well, we have about 7 or 8 country clubs. A couple of "semi-private" clubs (Basically, private courses that were about to shut down if they didn't do something). We have 10 or so public courses (4 of them being RTJ courses Oxmoor Valley, Ross Bridge). Prices range from about $25-$125. We have also had a couple of courses and driving ranges go under in the last decade or so.

There is a Top Golf. We have Edwin Watts, PGATSS, Dick's, some independent golf shops, and we are getting a Golf Galaxy.

My area is a sad place to be a golfer honestly. The only bright spot is that it’s cheap to play and 18 holes and a cart will top out around $50-ish. The downside is conditions aren’t great, pro shops are poorly stocked, and fittings aren’t even really an option unless you go to Dick’s. Let’s be honest too, I’m using the term fitting loosely in association with DSG. There are also no private clubs just because this community can’t support them, so all golf courses offer membership but other than being cheaper if you play enough it’s not really worth it for most...not a very rich and fulfilling golf community we have here.

Describe Your Town with Golf

I’ll claim greater Cleveland since I believe I can technically put that on my mail and it would still get here so...

A surprising amount of good to great golf courses, with a fairly short window to enjoy them.

Also, probably one of the highest concentrations of THPers in the country it feels like.

If I dial that in specifically to bay village, we have absolutely nada. It’s a lake town and all suburbs. Great schools and a great community, but we barely have restaurants let alone anything resembling golf.

My town has 2 courses. One of them was the host of the 1999 Ryder Cup and will be hosting the 2022 US Open. The other course is the municipal course on the other side of the fence from the private course. Needless to say, I play the municipal course and probably will never get to play the private course. The municipal course actually put in a driving range 2 years ago and is making a good bit of money off of it, so I'm hoping that they put some of that money back into the course, but I'm not holding my breath. More than likely, the town will use the municipal course for the 2022 US Open to either park cars on it, or use that space to put merchandise/hospitality tents on it. Either way, the municipal course will be in terrible shape after that, so I'll just enjoy it before than and hope that it gets a nice renovation after 2022.

One 18 hole county course, one privately owned 18 hole course that is open to the public and one simulator operation with a pretty good set-up. No golf stores.

The high end private club that is named after the town is actually in an adjacent community.

We have a public course that is pretty good for the money Ole Miss puts into it.

We have a country club that is terribly over-priced. Its course is decent. There a few good holes but nothing very memorable.

About 25 miles north of town, there is a semi-private course that has a great layout but isn’t as well maintained as it could be. There is a public course about 15 miles west of town that epitomizes the term goat ranch.

All that said, we have it better than most small towns in Mississippi.

ETA: The only “golf” store we have is Dick’s.

My town has 4 public courses. 2 of which are very cheap and not even really worth what they charge. One is middle of the road and the last is fairly nice but they know they are the best option and charge a bit of a premium. As far as golf stores, we have nothing in our town unless you count Walmart. Closest option is Golf Galaxy/Dicks which is about 25 mins away.

Courses in the city are expensive but really good. To get anything under $50 you're going to have to drive a good 45 min without traffic.

We a couple ok driving ranges, but none worth hammering home about.

One independent golf store and one big box one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back